Options

Scream 5 and 6 in doubt due to poor performance of Scream 4?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
Forum Member
I hope not, but the general feeling in the media seems to be that Scream 4, on a commercial basis, is underperforming.

It would be a shame if Scream 5 and 6 didn't happen, as Scream 4 is fantastic.

http://www.shadowlocked.com/201104161735/opinion-features/scream-4-another-ill-omen-for-2011-teen-box-office.html

Comments

• Options
    fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    I think it being a 15 put people off

the other films were 18 and this is supposed to be scarier
  • Options
    Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    I think it being a 15 put people off

the other films were 18 and this is supposed to be scarier

it is very gory and very violent and at times downright unsettling so can't see most will see it that way at all

the ratings standards may have changed but if I was classifying a film, no question, it would easily be an 18, as ot certaonly warrants it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I think we'll get another one, while it might not have done stellar business in the US on Friday, i imagine that the 15 rating will have worked in it's favour in the UK. I'm expecting the film to easily walk it into the UK Number 1 spot (Rio came out last week don't forget, so there's less competition over here). The box office for the weekend in the US will probably end up being around $20 million, and i imagine it will still take back it's production budget eventually, even if it is the lowest grossing Scream.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I think we'll get another one, while it might not have done stellar business in the US on Friday, i imagine that the 15 rating will have worked in it's favour in the UK. I'm expecting the film to easily walk it into the UK Number 1 spot (Rio came out last week don't forget, so there's less competition over here). The box office for the weekend in the US will probably end up being around $20 million, and i imagine it will still take back it's production budget eventually, even if it is the lowest grossing Scream.

Rio is already a box office hit here

maybe the scream market has died maybe its time to call it a day
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm, Times have changed and new Horror films have pushed boundaries with gore and shocks so the 15 nowadays, Sometimes would be an 18 a good 10 or so years ago, Scream 4 was stil as gory and shocking as the rest
    It's an AMAZING movie, I seen it earlier and I'll be seeing it again, a few times maybe! I couldn't rate it high enough! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it is very gory and very violent and at times downright unsettling so can't see most will see it that way at all

the ratings standards may have changed but if I was classifying a film, no question, it would easily be an 18, as ot certaonly warrants it

it might be more gory but they would not know that because it doesent appear that way
  • Options
    threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite part of any Scream film was Drew Barrymore making popcorn (sorry don't know which number) just because of the shock that followed. It may also be the only one I actually saw in the cinema.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scream 5 in IMAX :eek::eek::eek::eek:

EPIC

oh and the reason why scream 4 is a 15 is because it has some comedy in it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    My favourite part of any Scream film was Drew Barrymore making popcorn (sorry don't know which number) just because of the shock that followed. It may also be the only one I actually saw in the cinema.:confused:

I also loved that, it was the first scene of my first ever horror movie.. and what a way to begin an obsession :D
  • Options
    Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member

That was smart at the time, having such a big star killed off in the first ten minutes but since then it has been parodied and copied so many times to the point that it now has zero effect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was smart at the time, having such a big star killed off in the first ten minutes but since then it has been parodied and copied so many times to the point that it now has zero effect.

I have a new parody the film is called unexpected suprise

the whole cast is killed off straight away and a new cast forms
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    Rio is already a box office hit here

Yes i know, i wasn't saying otherwise. I was meaning that Scream wasn't opening opposite it like it is in the States, thus giving it an extra chance at being Number 1 this weekend in the UK. There's less competition for Scream considering it's the only major release this week over here.
    I have a new parody the film is called unexpected suprise

the whole cast is killed off straight away and a new cast forms

They kind of did that in the 'Friday the 13th' remake, the first 20 minutes or so was focused on introducing us to a set of campers, all of which are killed off by Jason before introducing a new set of teens that we follow for the rest of the movie.
  • Options
    DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member
    ITs the Critics who have been Biased the Fans and GP are loving it.

I think Wes Has done a fantastic job Scream 4 is one of the best Horrors in years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    When I went on Friday night the cinema was pretty packed and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

I thought it was great, really funny but at the same gory, brutal, and very twisty-turny. Loved the big reveal and was surprised by who ended up as the killer at the end.
    I was dissapointed slightly that none of the main three cast members were bumped off, and I also felt the cops have just become a cliche, always seeming to arrive too late. Also, really hated that all of the young teen cast were killed off, would have liked to see a few of them survive for Scream 5. It's about time the torch was passed to a new generation

I think a lot of the reviewers have gone into it thinking 'oh another sequel, bla bla bla'. But then I guess I'm biased being a fan and all.

I will be dissapointed if Scream 5 isn't made because of some crabby old movie reviewers...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    I think I am the only person on this forum who didn't enjoy the fourth film, and found it somewhat lacking and very predictable. But I can't imagine it being unsuccessful, I went to see it yesterday, and that had a nice amount of people for a screening at 11 in the morning (one of the biggest screens) and later on I saw a fairly big crowd going to see it while I was off to see another film, so I can't see it being that unsuccessful.
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was dissapointed slightly that none of the main three cast members were bumped off, and I also felt the cops have just become a cliche, always seeming to arrive too late. Also, really hated that all of the young teen cast were killed off, would have liked to see a few of them survive for Scream 5. It's about time the torch was passed to a new generation
    That's the point, though. I spent right up until they got to the house at the end believing that the one person in the cast it couldn't possibly be was Jill because Sidney was so obviously going to be killed off and the new trilogy was going to continue, following Jill. So by making the killer Jill, not killing the original cast, and killing all the new teens, Williamson and Craven played on what we, the audience, would expect to see from a sequel starting a new trilogy 10 years after the original trilogy finished.

It's very clever storytelling. The film isn't just genre-savvy in the sense of referencing horror films and calling attention to horror tropes in the dialogue, it's genre-savvy in knowing what the audience would expect from the kind of film it is and using what they know we'd think we know to divert attention from the real identity of the killer. It's masterful.
  • Options
    rombodrombod Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    trollface wrote: »
    That's the point, though. I spent right up until they got to the house at the end believing that the one person in the cast it couldn't possibly be was Jill because Sidney was so obviously going to be killed off and the new trilogy was going to continue, following Jill. So by making the killer Jill, not killing the original cast, and killing all the new teens, Williamson and Craven played on what we, the audience, would expect to see from a sequel starting a new trilogy 10 years after the original trilogy finished.

It's very clever storytelling. The film isn't just genre-savvy in the sense of referencing horror films and calling attention to horror tropes in the dialogue, it's genre-savvy in knowing what the audience would expect from the kind of film it is and using what they know we'd think we know to divert attention from the real identity of the killer. It's masterful.
    Exactly. Wes even said that Emma Roberts had signed on to the "new trilogy", which was obviously just a ruse to trick people into assuming she'd survive. I won't be surprised if a new trilogy hasn't actually been planned.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    There's always room for a 5 as
    Gail,Dewey and Sidney are still alive
  • Options
    TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    It's not doing that badly. The box office has been pretty low all year so far, plus it's April which is never really a good month for horror movies. Plus, it's up against a children's movie which does have a wider appeal. It's doing fine.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    Good to see Marley Shelton feature-she starred in the underrated(IMO anyway)slasher movie Valentine
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I don't understand how it's performing badly at the box office. Didn't it only come out on Friday? Surely it's too early to tell how it will do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't understand how it's performing badly at the box office. Didn't it only come out on Friday? Surely it's too early to tell how it will do?

That Tomorrow, When The War Began was only released the Thursday before last. And this weekend it was not on any more, I asked what happened to it they said it had done badly - it had only been out a week. And I thought it was better than most of this weeks releases.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    That Tomorrow, When The War Began was only released the Thursday before last. And this weekend it was not on any more, I asked what happened to it they said it had done badly - it had only been out a week. And I thought it was better than most of this weeks releases.

Wow. I've never heard of that happening before.
    My local cinema isn't showing Scream 4 yet, but I think they might show it from this Friday because they done it with Black Swan - showing it later than the actual release date.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wow. I've never heard of that happening before.
    My local cinema isn't showing Scream 4 yet, but I think they might show it from this Friday because they done it with Black Swan - showing it later than the actual release date.

I hadn't heard of it before either, I have seen them limit the showing (Lincoln Lawyer had a week and then it was only being shown at 10 past 9 of a night, so basically one viewing a day) but to completely remove it from the showing list seems weird. And it wasn't a bad film, I think it might be still showing at other venues just not ours. Glad I watched it last week now though :)

Scream doesn't look like it is doing bad though I know plenty of people who have seen it or are planning to see it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its doing well. In the US Rio came out at number 1 having the highest gross of the year. Scream number 2. If Rio didnt heve the 3D inflated ticket prices Scream couldve been number 1.