Options

The Mill - new drama on Channel 4

Comments

• Options
    Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Thanks for just clarifying that, I understand now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    Based on actual records from Styal Mill, apparently.

The basic history is based on records but there is a lot of fictional personal interaction stories in it. I was at Quarry Bank Mill at the weekend and saw the 'exhibition' they have on one of the floors about it.

Noticed they were doing the old 'hand-held' shaking camera and out of focus over the shoulder stuff and gave it a miss...hardly reportage type recording when it's supposed to be over a century old...

The Mill itself is worth a visit as it is stunning and is a whole day out. Get there early to get a ticket for the Apprentice House to see how 'advanced' their treatment of people and kids was for the time...still looks incredibly basic and harsh but not compared with what people were suffering with elsewhere.
  • Options
    maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This may be a bit of an obvious question but what happens to most of the characters in the mill? I mean, do they get out "alive" or what? I'm not too educated on this period of History but it's similar to workhouses right?
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may be a bit of an obvious question but what happens to most of the characters in the mill? I mean, do they get out "alive" or what? I'm not too educated on this period of History but it's similar to workhouses right?

Someone on a list pointed out that not all the apprentices were from workhouses, an ancestor their's had paid a premium for two of their children to be apprentices at a Quarry Bank.

Anyone from Lancashire will find in that period lots of their ancestors working in mills from quite a young age in the earlier part - the law gradually changed.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to the second episode of this tonight. The critic in the Event TV guide I get every week didn't like it very much though, saying it was too similar to the Village and didn't show much 'humanity'. I never saw the Village... I agree with her The Mill was quite bleak and didn't show much humour, but the first episode really gripped me and the characters and the good acting made me want to tune in again this week.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bumping
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's good but so depressing.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoying this again.

Love how Daniel tries to help the girls and even making a new hand for the little lad.

I fear for that little girl that was kicked off the cart all on her own. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's upsetting to watch the two sisters being separated like that...I hope the other sister makes it safely somewhere and that they are both reunited at some point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's upsetting to watch the two sisters being separated like that...I hope the other sister makes it safely somewhere and that they are both reunited at some point.

Sadly because this is based on true records I doubt there will be many happy endings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a very upsetting ending :( so sad
  • Options
    katieknolweskatieknolwes Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no the other sister, wanted her to survive but it was obvious she wouldn't
  • Options
    DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too depressing for words. I know that's probably the life many girls had to endure, but unremitting gloom on a Sunday evening seems just too gloomy. I only watched it last week waiting for The Returned to come on afterwards, it says something about it when it made The Returned seem quite cheerful. :)
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there I was thinking this episode was a little brighter at the end. Then they added that last bit.
    The Mill is VERY depressing but I am actually really enjoying it. Sometimes you need to watch something because it has something important to say.
  • Options
    ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed the first episodes so I will have to catch up online.

Just for the gorgeous Jamie Draven if nothing else ;)
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I overlook 3 mills in Oldham built much later (1880's) than Quarry Bank (late 1700's I think).

Often if I wake up at around 5-6am, I look out over the mills below (Majestic, Orme, Cairo) and think of the shifts starting at 6.30am with all the tapper uppers going around with their long poles 'tapping' windows to wake people up.

A woman I know at a local cafe who is 64 worked in the last years of the mills here and her mum, who is 94, worked many years in them and was laid off at a few days notice. She became a seamstress.

Someone else was telling me all about the Wakes weeks when the towns shut down one by one for maintenance and the workers went on mass by train to the resorts of North Wales and to Southport, Blackpool and Morecombe.

I got hooked into the programme pretty quickly and will watch it next week.

The Mill must be set in the early 1800's a if slavery is yet to be abolished. In those days they worked 6 full days a week.
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I can't believe I must have deleted it from my planner! It's not on demand ATM - anyone know when they usually put it up?

Thanks.:)
  • Options
    colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    A thought just occurred to me whilst watching The Mill last night - the family were sitting around talking about the slaves working in their foreign plantation and (can't think of his name) someone referred to the workers as N.........(you know what I mean). So, why is it that in the remake of The Dambusters the dog's name had to be changed to Digger so as not to cause offence? Is the work permitted to be said, bearing in mind that both these programmes/films are set in a different era when this word was acceptable?
  • Options
    maddiesdoormaddiesdoor Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a brilliant show though. It's depressing because it was depressing, however certain characters to seem to lighten that up a bit. It's a great show.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    colgirl wrote: »
    A thought just occurred to me whilst watching The Mill last night - the family were sitting around talking about the slaves working in their foreign plantation and (can't think of his name) someone referred to the workers as N.........(you know what I mean). So, why is it that in the remake of The Dambusters the dog's name had to be changed to Digger so as not to cause offence? Is the work permitted to be said, bearing in mind that both these programmes/films are set in a different era when this word was acceptable?

Did that remake ever get made by the way? I thought it had been shelved.

But yes, I suppose renaming the dog is all part of the modern tendency to literally rewrite history in the name of political correctness.

Personally I was glad the N word was used in The Mill last night, because it was factually correct and I admire the producer's bravery in not glossing over it.
  • Options
    colgirlcolgirl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Did that remake ever get made by the way? I thought it had been shelved.

But yes, I suppose renaming the dog is all part of the modern tendency to literally rewrite history in the name of political correctness.

Personally I was glad the N word was used in The Mill last night, because it was factually correct and I admire the producer's bravery in not glossing over it.

Maybe it did get shelved - I haven't heard any more about the film. Yes, It was quite brave of them to use that word in today's hysterical easily offended society (See 'racist' Paul from Corrie storyline). Even if they did have to issue a warning just before the programme:rolleyes:
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone agree that the lighting was better on the second episode?

Such a relief. I couldn't see a darn thing that was going on last week,even in the scenes that were supposed to be daylight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is nowhere near as depressing as The Village and it is historically very interesting with regards to child labour. Does anyone else think Esther looks like Natasha Hamilton??
  • Options
    julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only got to watch this new drama last night.

I loved the part when the irish guy made a show of the Lady in charge of the mills saying she had 5 mills on plantation and also one in the caribbean. Why was she looking after the young boy who lost his hand and why did that man leave the young girl to find her way back home - surely he could have took her there instead so nothing would happen to her.
    The scene at the end was harrowing after the other sister deciding to escape to find her sister and Esther was taking her under her wing.

Paul is lovely and very understanding towards the workers in the Work House.

Some of the characters look very familiar from other shows not sure from what shows though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    julie2009 wrote: »
    I only got to watch this new drama last night.

I loved the part when the irish guy made a show of the Lady in charge of the mills saying she had 5 mills on plantation and also one in the caribbean. Why was she looking after the young boy who lost his hand and why did that man leave the young girl to find her way back home - surely he could have took her there instead so nothing would happen to her.
    The scene at the end was harrowing after the other sister deciding to escape to find her sister and Esther was taking her under her wing.

Paul is lovely and very understanding towards the workers in the Work House.

Some of the characters look very familiar from other shows not sure from what shows though

He left her on the moors so he wouldn't have to pay the money back to the workhouse she came from but pocketed it himself.