Options

Laptop Wireless Conflict

Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a Dell laptop running on a BT Home Hub. There is now a second laptop connected (HP Pavillion) laptop and the wireless connection on it has dropped. I reset the router (twice) but it made no difference. I reset the wireless adaptor and that made no difference. Diagnostics said it couldn't work out what the problem was. It just couldn't detect a wireless network.

So.....I switched off the Dell (which by this time had also lost its wireless signal). The HP then decided it could find a network and connected back in.

Any ideas? I thought routers assigned specific IP addresses, but it looks like they're fighting over the same one ?!

Comments

• Options
    maltaronmaltaron Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    Firstly you should not have a problem with 2 laptops on one wireless signal. I have currently one Asus, one Dell and one Advent all connected to one BT hub. All I can suggest is 1: check wireless is switched on on the laptop (f2 on Dell and Asus, don't know on HP), 2: check wireless networks by clicking on the wireless icon (normally on the right hand side of the task bar), you should at minimum see your hub ID listed plus BT Fon (and possibly some neighbours hubs with low signal. Click on your hub then click connect. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In theory DHCP should sort everything out by itself but just occasionally it plays silly beggars.

I had the exact same scenario between my laptop and phone. For whatever reason my router insisted on assigning the same IP address to both. It would happily assign different addresses to any other WiFi device but no matter which order I connected them, or any other device, the laptop and phone always had the same address.

In the end I connected the laptop on it's own so I could reliably identify it's MAC address and configured the router to reserve an IP address outside the DHCP pool for it. Problem solved. No more clash between laptop and phone.

I suspect you will have to do something similar to sort your problem out.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a Dell laptop running on a BT Home Hub. There is now a second laptop connected (HP Pavillion) laptop and the wireless connection on it has dropped. I reset the router (twice) but it made no difference. I reset the wireless adaptor and that made no difference. Diagnostics said it couldn't work out what the problem was. It just couldn't detect a wireless network.

So.....I switched off the Dell (which by this time had also lost its wireless signal). The HP then decided it could find a network and connected back in.

Any ideas? I thought routers assigned specific IP addresses, but it looks like they're fighting over the same one ?!

It's not an IP address conflict. If it was, the PC would detect a wireless network, and then it would tell you there's a conflict.

You need to be methodical. Turn everything off, then turn on the router. Once it has booted fully, start one PC, check its working, then start the other.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    It's not an IP address conflict. If it was, the PC would detect a wireless network, and then it would tell you there's a conflict.
    For whatever reason I never got an address conflict warning on the laptop. The only symptom was all of a sudden the internet connection would stop working. The phone always seemed to take priority.

It was a really bizarre problem. No matter what I did on the laptop, phone or router the router always gave the two the same address using DHCP. But only my laptop and phone had the problem. Fire up my work laptop or phone and they got unique IP addresses.
  • Options
    Musicman103Musicman103 Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys :)

I'll try those suggestions
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen something like this once. It only affected one type of laptop and when they were in close proximity to each other.

There was about 10 identical laptops. Moving them further apart the problem vanished. In the end I ended up disabling the built in WiFi on those laptops and used a small USB WiFi adaptor instead that seemed far less susceptible to the problem. It's presumably very rare but it seems certain WiFi chipsets (older versions) can cause reception issues with other identical devices in the immediate vicinity. They seemed to saturate each other.

These laptops all had static IP addresses and didn't rely on DHCP. They all appeared to connect ok. But internet speed was pathetic (even though ample bandwidth was available) - until different WiFi adaptor used or moved further apart.

Never saw anything like it again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would help if you posted which HomeHub it is. If it's the 4 or 5 this is probably the same issue that I have had with them being dual band. De-syncing the Wireless frequencies and renaming one of the SSIDs is the first step.

Two different hubs, two different laptops, two different problems solved by the same answer. When BT accept there's a problem with them, that'll be a start.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a problem a couple of months ago with my HP laptop losing wireless connection and then being unable to detect a wireless network.

After much diagnostic checking and getting nowhere I eventually found out the cause of the problem - Windows Update was offering an update to the wireless driver in the laptop and it was this updated driver that was the cause of the problem. I reinstalled the previous driver and the problem vanished.Reinstalled the newer driver - same problem again. So I again reinstalled the previous driver and the problem once again vanished. I assume that the updated driver had some sort of bug in it.

edit: I too have a BT HomeHub, HH5, so also had looked into that as being a problem but rolling back the wireless driver to a previous version did the trick.