Manners on the bus

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 441
Forum Member
I was just wondering if people still have manners when on the bus.

It is constantly said in the media how we are a selfish people who never give our seats up on the bus but from my experiences people routinely give their seats up for the elderly and disabled people. I have also seen people help mothers with their prams onto the bus.

People on my bus even routinely say thank you to the bus driver when getting off. Is that common?

I do find that queuing for the bus is kind of a British thing. When i was in Majorca it was pandemonium trying to get onto the bus. Everyone just ran to the coach door, pushing and shoving. My mum then started to shout at the Spanish (in English), telling them that they were rude and had no manners. God, i was embarrassed :o.

One thing that really annoys me though is people using their mobile phones to play music out loud, usually gangster rap or chavy dance rubbish:mad:. Have these people never heard of an invention called a pair of earphones?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm disabled but I will give up my seat to someone whose elderly, more disabled then me or pregnant needs it more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kevo88 wrote: »
    I was just wondering if people still have manners when on the bus.

It is constantly said in the media how we are a selfish people who never give our seats up on the bus but from my experiences people routinely give their seats up for the elderly and disabled people. I have also seen people help mothers with their prams onto the bus.

People on my bus even routinely say thank you to the bus driver when getting off. Is that common?

I do find that queuing for the bus is kind of a British thing. When i was in Majorca it was pandemonium trying to get onto the bus. Everyone just ran to the coach door, pushing and shoving. My mum then started to shout at the Spanish (in English), telling them that they were rude and had no manners. God, i was embarrassed :o.

One thing that really annoys me though is people using their mobile phones to play music out loud, usually gangster rap or chavy dance rubbish:mad:. Have these people never heard of an invention called a pair of earphones?

I certainly have manners when I am on a bus. When I get on I smile at the driver and say thank you and whilst I am on the bus if and elderly person gets on or somebody who looks as if they are finding it difficult to stand for a long while I offer my seat.

And when I get off I say thank you again to the bus driver.

I don't know why some people don't to be honest. Manners don't cost a thing.
  • HidetoshiNakataHidetoshiNakata Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    People are generally very poilite.

I rarely give up my seat though. Unless the person literally cannot stand I don't see why I should.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm disabled but I will give up my seat to someone whose elderly, more disabled then me or pregnant needs it more.
    I'm quite disabled and get embarrassed that old people actually give up their seat for me. I'm not saying I don't need it but usually there are younger fitter people on the bus doing their very best to ignore someone in need.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always show manners on the bus but in my experience sometimes it can be the older generation who are extremely rude.
  • OUTLAW_48OUTLAW_48 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    I only give up my seat to old people, or a person with a baby. Thats it. Everyone else can stand.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OUTLAW_48 wrote: »
    I only give up my seat to old people, or a person with a baby. Thats it. Everyone else can stand.:D
    So the disabled don't count thanks very much for nothing. Mind you what else could you expect.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    I will only give up my seat for the disabled, pregnante women, or those with young children - the rest can stand!!
  • Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always thank my bus driver when I get off. But I've been getting the same bus to work forever. I think I'll invite the bus driver to my wedding.

One time on the bus an elderly lady got on and a bunch of young high school kids were sat down the front, and just all looked at her as she struggled with her bag. Eventually someone down the front said to one of the boys to give the lady a seat, and she returned his kindness by telling the boys not to bother, because she had given birth standing up.

:confused:
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    People are generally very poilite.

I rarely give up my seat though. Unless the person literally cannot stand I don't see why I should.

I think someone should, if they are physically unable to stand (why take the bus, then) but I don't agree with a full fare paying passenger having to cede a seat to someone travelling free.

I always thank the driver when I get on and off, but that is common courtesy.

I don't like CLKs being on the bus mainly because they can't behave! It's not always the music, it's generally the fact they seem to see the buses as a wrestling ring and fight with each other. Though the music is annoying too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my local bus most people are very respectful to others and quite happily give up seats to those who need them and say thanks to the drive.

However there are a few people who don't know what manners are. I used the park and ride service in my town a few months ago and was shocked by the manners of a particular woman and her teenage "child" I managed to get on the bus and find a seat for my self just around the middle of the bus. But it was clear with it being around Christmas that the bus was going to be packed. After all the seats were filled an elderly couple came on the bus just in front of a woman with a pair of crutches and since there wasn't a seat I kindly got up as well as the chap next to me to give the elderly couple our seats.

Now the lady with the crutches got on the bus and was in a full length plaster so couldn't bend her knee. She politely asked the woman with her 15/16 year old if she would kindly let her have the seat since she was on crutches. Now this was the seats speciality designated for Disabled, Mobility Problems, Elderly, Mothers with young children and had a little extra leg room. But the woman's reply was utterly shocking as she started to shout abuse it this nice woman with the broken leg. She tried to claim that she had more right to her seat because she had a child with her. I eventually got involved as it was getting rather worrying as the woman was starting to raise hands and the like, when I asked her why she couldn't give up her seat she again went on about her child who from the looks of it was old enough to stand on their own two feet quite easily as he looked around 15/16 years old at this point though the driver got out his cab and helped try to relieve the situation but he couldn't. The police were soon involved as a passenger had called them due to the volatile nature of the incident. When they arrived one was soon finding out the story of the incident from the bus driver and a few of the passengers and the other was helping me try to sort the situation out. Eventually the woman was removed from the bus by the police due to the nature of her behaviour and at that her son decided he would kick off causing yet more issues for the police. Both were eventually arrested for breach of the peace and the mother was also arrested for two counts of assault (one on the women with crutches and the other when she hit out at the police for removing her from the bus). Both had to be restrained with the son having to be taken to the floor as he was lashing out as he was being cuffed.

The incident looked like it was something out of a TV program as it isn't what you expect at Christmas and especially the circumstances it happened. All over a silly seat on a bus. What was wrong with her getting up for the 10/15 minute trip out to the car park?

The poor woman on crutches wasn't even rude or abrupt when she asked and it was clear that she couldn't really stand as the bus was moving she would have been injured.

Everything was sorted out after an hour once the police had carted the mother and son duo off to the local cop shop to question them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds terrible. :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We seldom had problems when we had conductors. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We seldom had problems when we had conductors. :)
    Yeah those were the days. Perhaps it could be a job for the immigrants as it is one of the jobs we got Jamaicans to do in the old days.
  • cfc86cfc86 Posts: 31,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd give my seat up to people who need it. Like the disabled, elderly or someone with a wee kid.
    I always say thank you to the driver when I'm getting on then off the bus too.
    Manners don't cost a thing and surely two little words aren't that hard to say?
    Oh, also remember to say please aswell.
  • OUTLAW_48OUTLAW_48 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    whip wrote: »
    So the disabled don't count thanks very much for nothing. Mind you what else could you expect.

Ok...............................

I was clearly talking in a joking way (:D is a clue).

Of course the disabled count.

Talk about over reaction.:eek:
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No such thing as manners in the area i live in :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends which town or City you live in really. I think there is a lot more farting on the tube there used to be, same for London buses.You darent look anyone in the eye there these days. So manners are'nt really a thought anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    I generally try to sit at the back of the bus so that the elderley and disabled can take the ones at the front that are easier to get to.

I say thank you to the bus driver, I dont really get why though, its their job and they're being paid for it, its not like they're driving us around out of the kindness of there own hearts but its something my mum always did when i was little so i guess it comes from there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would give up my seat for the elderly, disabled or pregnant. Most people I see are the same. I'll occasionally move seat to avoid splitting up people, but usually only for parents with young kids. I (and most people I see) thank the driver as I get off.

I wouldn't give up my seat for an able-bodied parent with kid, unless it was a baby. Which reminds me.... parents shouldn't be allowed to let young kids (travelling free) take up seats if it means a fare paying passenger has to stand.
  • ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was always brought up as a child to give up my seat for any adults on the bus - and I always did, right into my twenties.
    Now I am a little bit more discerning , but I always give up my seat to people who are quite a bit older than me or disabled in any way or pregnant or carrying a baby or even extra loaded up with shopping.
    And I ALWAYS thank the bus driver when I get off.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    I would give up my seat for the elderly, disabled or pregnant. ..... Which reminds me.... parents shouldn't be allowed to let young kids (travelling free) take up seats if it means a fare paying passenger has to stand.

What about the able-bodied 60 plus, many of whom still have 30 -40 years left on the clock yet travel free? Do they meet your definition of elderly?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    What about the able-bodied 60 plus, many of whom still have 30 -40 years left on the clock yet travel free? Do they meet your definition of elderly?
    What exactly is your argument? They're elderly, so of course I'd give up my seat for them. They may travel free, but unlike kids, do not have the alternative luxury of being able to sit on laps. Young kids who don't pay should be sitting on parents knees on crowded public transport - that's my point.
  • culturemancultureman Posts: 11,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    What exactly is your argument? They're elderly, so of course I'd give up my seat for them. They may travel free, but unlike kids, do not have the alternative luxury of being able to sit on laps.

My argument is that many of them patently aren't "elderly" in any sense other than having lived 60 years. In other arguments to treat 60 pluses as by definition old is seen as patently ageist, and thereby denigrating of them.

The idea of 60 as elderly derives from an age when average life expectancy was litterally decades less than it is now, and many people indeed most working class people died of "old age" within a few years of retiring. [Hence the current pensions time-bomb crisis, but thats another argument].
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What gets my back up is when you're queing for the bus and then when it arrives, people just come from out of no where and push on in front of you...
    This happens everytime I get the bus home from the Metrocentre, people must think us people are queing for the fun of it...
    I also hate people who have their music blasting, there's no need for it and its inconsederate to other passengers.