Options

Has celeb big bro ever relaunched anyones career?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 768
Forum Member
✭✭
If you give me 1 name, I could give you ten where it hasn't.

Comments

• Options
    SelenaSelena Posts: 29,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it helped Claire Sweeney at the time.

Mark Owen had a hit record at the time.

Preston had a couple of hits.
  • Options
    ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    PG30 wrote: »

True.

There have probabaly been more ruined careers/ reputations from it, than success stories.
  • Options
    daddy66daddy66 Posts: 12,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PG30 wrote: »

One to many for my liking, personally;)
  • Options
    MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could argue Mark Owen's win was the catalyst for Take That reforming.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware that that was the point of it.
  • Options
    OmahOmah Posts: 23,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shilpa .....
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Omah wrote: »
    Shilpa .....

It certainly made her known in this country, but she was already a big Bollywood star anyway.

I think Anne Diamond got a few gigs following CBB, nothing major though.
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Mark Owen was a major part in Take Thats revival
  • Options
    cherubmattdcherubmattd Posts: 13,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pete Burns got to #5 with You Spin Me Right Round after CBB.
  • Options
    Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    Ulrika possibly.

Chantelle (well when you werent a celebrity to begin with, its not hard to improve your celebrity career)
  • Options
    Cake_NibblerCake_Nibbler Posts: 6,564
    Forum Member
    John Mc Cririck too maybe

I had no idea who he was when he went in but he seems to be on a lot of guest panels ever since then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Chantelle? ;)
  • Options
    Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John Mc Cririck too maybe

I had no idea who he was when he went in but he seems to be on a lot of guest panels ever since then.

More's the pity .......................:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_G wrote: »
    It certainly made her known in this country, but she was already a big Bollywood star anyway.

Shilpa's career was in decline prior to CBB :
    2004 was the year which saw the release of Garv in which she portrayed a Muslim orphan and disillusioned table dancer starring opposite Salman Khan. According to Shetty, she chose to do the film because she liked the subject. The film was a cop drama, and did not do well at the box office. However, she received much acclaim for her performance in Phir Milenge, where she made a sensitive portrayal of a successful city high-flyer who contracts HIV via unprotected sex and becomes a social outcast as a result. She also starred with her sister in the film Fareb in 2005. Shilpa had one release in 2006, the much delayed Shaadi Karke Phas Gaya Yaar. The film was a box office flop.

Post CBB :
    2007 proved to be Shetty's most successful year at the box office so far. Her first release, Life In A... Metro, won a significant reception, and became the first Bollywood movie to premiere at Leicester Square. The film performed well at the box office, and was declared a semi-hit within three weeks. Additionally, the film was critically acclaimed and Shetty's performance was appreciated, with Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN writing, "It's a terrific performance and unquestionably Shilpa's best to date." Her second release, alongside three Deols, Dharmendra, Sunny and Bobby, the drama Apne, was also a box office success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shilpa_Shetty#Biography
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Keith Duffy? He went on to become an actor and had quite a run in Coronation Street.
  • Options
    LuskentyreLuskentyre Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    I think it helped Pete Burns.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy_G wrote: »
    I think Anne Diamond got a few gigs following CBB, nothing major though.

TBH, hardly anything at at all :
    In 2002 she returned to television, appearing in Celebrity Big Brother.

In October 2004 she joined BBC Radio Oxford, presenting the weekday breakfast programme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Diamond
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Owen is the best example, all the Take That fans emerged from their mossy holes to reclaim their champions.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    I would say also Jade Goody. The racism row publicised her existence to a much wider audience than the usual BB viewers.

When the CBB racism row erupted between Jade Goody and Shilpa Shetty, my parents phoned me up and asked me "Who is Jade Goody?", so I was able to explain what her background in BB was and how she was a famous "celebrity". Without that incident, they would never have known anything about her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnloony wrote: »
    I would say also Jade Goody. The racism row publicised her existence to a much wider audience than the usual BB viewers.

When the CBB racism row erupted between Jade Goody and Shilpa Shetty, my parents phoned me up and asked me "Who is Jade Goody?", so I was able to explain what her background in BB was and how she was a famous "celebrity". Without that incident, they would never have known anything about her.

But the question was :

Has celeb big bro ever relaunched anyones career?
    18 January 2007

Jade Goody's career may be over

Two High Street chains announced they had dropped her range of perfumes

Her dreams of breaking into Hollywood were almost certainly over

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-429860/Jade-Goodys-career-over.html

Jade Goody admits she was being racist

Jade said the withdrawal of her perfume from stores and the cancellation of her Living TV show meant "nothing".

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/article-23382546-jade-goody-admits-she-was-being-racist.do
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Good question. It could be argued that Jade's career was being famous, and not much else.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about Mark Owen - wasn't the Take That revival about 5 years after he was on CBB..........

Probably no connection at all, more to do with a Greatest Hits album coming out or something like that...........

Not sure about Big Mac either - he pretty much does the same now as he did before. If anything he does less because Channel 4 have dropped him as an automatic regular on their racing coverage, tho' he still puts in the odd appearance as a guest. He used to do the odd thing outside of racing before CBB and he still does, tho' now it's mainly CBB spin off shows.
  • Options
    LuskentyreLuskentyre Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    johnloony wrote: »

It hardly relaunched her though did it? If anything it consigned her back to scrapheap, where she belonged.
  • Options
    MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    I don't think its helped Sov. In the Metro today:

"CBB is not exactly a star-maker -
    Lady Sovereign admits she has yet to
    be offered any decent work. 'I am just
    glad of the five grand,' she admitted."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    It's now relaunched Jordan's "career"