Options

iPhone 5c/5s sales now the iPhone 6/6+ are out.

JBlackpool01253JBlackpool01253 Posts: 391
Forum Member
Just reading the iPhone 6 vs 6+ thread and really can't understand why people would want to go TODAY and buy either the iPhone 5c or iPhone 5s when they are "LAST YEARS" phones.

I'm desperately wanting to get rid of my iPhone 5s ASAP to move onto the iPhone 6+ but can't until December >:(

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Because they are still good phones and have dropped in price.

The 5S doesn't suddenly stop working just because It's a year old.

Same reason why some people buy cars used and others buy cars brand new.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    So basically, your life depends on you having the newest phone.

How's that for sad.
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they are still solid, decent phones.

I imagine the 5C will become more popular now it's cheaper. It was already gaining popularity from what I could see.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    KieranDS wrote: »

I imagine the 5C will become more popular now it's cheaper. It was already gaining popularity from what I could see.

Yup, sell through of the 5C has been steadily increasing since launch and it's now got to the point where shipments are very regular.
  • Options
    Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reading the iPhone 6 vs 6+ thread and really can't understand why people would want to go TODAY and buy either the iPhone 5c or iPhone 5s when they are "LAST YEARS" phones.

I'm desperately wanting to get rid of my iPhone 5s ASAP to move onto the iPhone 6+ but can't until December >:(

Because it's cheaper, just as functional and a waste of money if the 5c/5s does you fine or would do you fine.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    I went from iPhone 4S which I got about 2-3yrs ago to iPhone 5S a week ago. I knew 6 was coming out but I saw all the leaks and wasn't impressed but how it looks or the features. Quite happy with the 5S, not much different but it's faster and I like the richer colours.

I probably won't be updating now until iPhone 8 or possibly 9. I think the iPhone 6 and 6+ have been a big disappointment to me personally. I think it's just going to be iPhone 5 all over again. I'm sure Apple will try and spin iPhone 6 sales into some kind of 'best selling human invention of all time' though.
  • Options
    sethpetsethpet Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I don't understand people getting the 5s I the run up to a new i phone launch. It will be cheaper to get next week
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KieranDS wrote: »

Indeed. I brought my wife a 5C this week as she wanted an iPhone but didn't want to spend big bucks on an iPhone 6 / 6+. So for her the 5C was a great fit.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    sethpet wrote: »
    I don't understand people getting the 5s I the run up to a new i phone launch. It will be cheaper to get next week
    If buying from Apple the price has already been discounted - and will not change again!
  • Options
    TheRottweilerTheRottweiler Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    Yes but they only sell it in 8GB versions, pretty useless at that size
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surprised at the mix of replies I have got here tbh, guess it's just an age thing being nearly 25 that I have to have all modern and current things such as phones, tablets etc.

The only thing that I ain't looking forward to is having two active lines on my contract and only using one of them costing around £100+ a month with Vodafone :o

I can't afford to just buy the iPhone 6 Plus outright just now and I certainly am not waiting until I save the £700 for the 64GB version so two contracts is the only way forward, I need the iPhone 6+ ASAP tbh!!
  • Options
    storyofmylifestoryofmylife Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't like the look of the 6 plus or the 6, bit disappointed that Apple didn't raise the specs very high like the megapixels. I'm sticking with my 5c that I got this year.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised at the mix of replies I have got here tbh, guess it's just an age thing being nearly 25 that I have to have all modern and current things such as phones, tablets etc.

The only thing that I ain't looking forward to is having two active lines on my contract and only using one of them costing around £100+ a month with Vodafone :o

I can't afford to just buy the iPhone 6 Plus outright just now and I certainly am not waiting until I save the £700 for the 64GB version so two contracts is the only way forward, I need the iPhone 6+ ASAP tbh!!

So, you can't afford £700, but you can spend over £100 a month and waste money on a contract that you aren't using.

You really need to have a look at your priorities. I like the iPhone 6 and have ordered one, but I wouldn't put myself in debt over it.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, that's a real pity. 8GB is pathetic, 16 should be an absolute minimum.

Buying the 5S is no bad idea, especially if you prefer its size. 5C is largely 2-year-old hardware, so if be less sure that purchase makes sense, unless you get a great price.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't like the look of the 6 plus or the 6, bit disappointed that Apple didn't raise the specs very high like the megapixels. I'm sticking with my 5c that I got this year.

I'm intrigued by the OIS on the 6+, see how good the implementation is compared to the now rather ancient Nokia 920 (although the 6+ is still has a lower resolution sensor than the 2 year old Nokia).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iPhone 5S is sold in EITHER 16 or 32Gb these days!

It is only the 5C which is sold in 8Gb - which seems not to bad for a (still pretty powerful) entry level model.
  • Options
    hybridtheoryhybridtheory Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Why can't u buy a 64GB iPhone 5S any longer?

Thanks

Baz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    It is only the 5C which is sold in 8Gb - which seems not to bad for a (still pretty powerful) entry level model.

8GB is pitiful. A few big apps, take some photos and have a modest music collection and you've filled it. Instead of selling it at £319 for 8GB, £349 for 16GB would be a much better proposition (or £319 for 16GB may be possible with lower profit margins).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    8GB is pitiful. A few big apps, take some photos and have a modest music collection and you've filled it
    In your opinion! Not everyone wants their entire music and photo collection on a phone!

The 5S would obviously be the one for you.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apart from size, is there really that much difference between the 5c and the 6, that is apart from the 5c having decent phone reception.

I'm waiting for Apple to announce their new record weekend sales, which like always will include unsold phone shop items. Will they announce how many iPhone 6 Plus they made available?

I think not though they could once again reinvent the meaning of a sale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BKM wrote: »
    In your opinion! Not everyone wants their entire music and photo collection on a phone!

The 5S would obviously be the one for you.

Yes, fair comment I suppose. I'd just rather Apple didn't scrimp with base models quite so much.
    alanwarwic wrote:
    Apart from size, is there really that much difference between the 5c and the 6, that is apart from the 5c having decent phone reception.

Plenty to separate them: ApplePay, motion coprocessor, TouchID, two generations difference in processor architecture, camera enhancements. Doubtless the 6 will be good for at least one, probably more, major iOS versions than the 5c.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    So, you can't afford £700, but you can spend over £100 a month and waste money on a contract that you aren't using.

You really need to have a look at your priorities. I like the iPhone 6 and have ordered one, but I wouldn't put myself in debt over it.

I'm in a position that in December 2014 I can add the iPhone 6 Plus to my account which I currently have the iPhone 5s on.

With Christmas coming up soon and having dog it's a free phone that I pay monthly for.

Line 1 will be active until July 2015 which I can add the iPhone 7 on in September 2015

Line 2 will start in December 2014 and be eligible to upgrade in December 2016 and have another 3 month wait to get the iPhone 8 when it's out in Sept 2016.

It might be and sound mad to have 2 contracts but only use one but that's the only way to do it so I don't have to have my shitty crap iPhone 5S a day longer.
  • Options
    simon69csimon69c Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think your iPhone 5S is "shitty crap" and yet you are willing to have a second contract to get the iPhone 6 and are already planning to maintain that second unused contract going forward so you can get the next iPhone too?! What is it about the 5S that makes you consider it "shitty crap" and how do you know the 6 will be any different?

Surely you would be better off selling the iPhone 5S that you pupport to hate so much and using the cash you'll get (could easily be around £400 for the 64GB model) and use that towards buying the 6 outright and just keep it going on your current contract - surely that would work out far cheaper.

I thought I was bad for getting the new model each year but I do so by selling the previous model to offset the cost of the new one and I am fortunate to be on the £15/month One Plan so monthly costs are far lower than an equivalent handset contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    simon69c wrote: »
    You think your iPhone 5S is "shitty crap" and yet you are willing to have a second contract to get the iPhone 6 and are already planning to maintain that second unused contract going forward so you can get the next iPhone too?! What is it about the 5S that makes you consider it "shitty crap" and how do you know the 6 will be any different?

Surely you would be better off selling the iPhone 5S that you pupport to hate so much and using the cash you'll get (could easily be around £400 for the 64GB model) and use that towards buying the 6 outright and just keep it going on your current contract - surely that would work out far cheaper.

I thought I was bad for getting the new model each year but I do so by selling the previous model to offset the cost of the new one and I am fortunate to be on the £15/month One Plan so monthly costs are far lower than an equivalent handset contract.

Everyone knows that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be miles better and more cooler and slicker than the iPhone 5s! Hence my desperation to get one. The iPhone 5s will be a poor mans phone as of come Friday.

I only have the iPhone 5s 16GB version which on eBay are going for £200-250 so even if I sold it for that and started saving until I got to £700 it'd take me until 13 Feb 2015, 9 weeks later than 12 Dec 2014.

I know this might sound sad but already I'm starting to feel so cheap knowing that I can't get the iPhone 6+ on Friday let alone having people look down on me for owning an "outdated" iPhone when i'm out at Boxing events or on trains, planes etc. This three month wait until December is going to be a nightmare tbh.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    If this ain't a wind up thread then the op has big problems!