Surface Pro available now

124»

Comments

• jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Well, the fans of all things pomme have let rip here, remember folks the thread is about the Surface Pro please.

Mine is at home awaiting my return in a couple of weeks:( My lad has fired it up and is impressed :)

To be fair the thread was actually derailed by a Microsoft fan boy claiming you couldn't type [ and ] on a mac keyboard.

I could be interested in one if it ran cool ( from what I saw I think these things will overheat ) and the ssd was at least 256 gig.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    To be fair the thread was actually derailed by a Microsoft fan boy claiming you couldn't type [ and ] on a mac keyboard.

I could be interested in one if it ran cool ( from what I saw I think these things will overheat ) and the ssd was at least 256 gig.

The thread was actually derailed in the beginning by an Apple fanboy claiming an iPad would have wider hardware compatibility support than a desktop/laptop.

Given your earlier objection to being called a fanboy, it is pretty hypocritical to start throwing the word at others.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Ivan, I'm getting pretty close to buying a Pro so do let me know once you've bought yours and do a bit of a write-up after you've had it for a week.

I got it now! I am typing this post using it. No cover, they ran out of type ones. At least they had one that I could try. I'll get that later from another place or MS shop. Maybe I won't even want one. I do not intend to use it at a table much. It's a bit bulkier than the RT, but lighter than my Samsung S9 ultrabook. The back gets warm after a while, but not too much. I'm still charging it, so I'll see how it runs on batteries. But certainly it's now less hot than the iPad formerly known as the new I played with in the shop when they came out. I installed my RT apps I am developing and they work nicely. That was my excuse for getting the pro, to test them on a touch device with W8 :D I could not set up my Gmail, looks like ActiveSync does not work for the new users anymore. First impressions are very good. I'll see if something disappoints or impresses and then I may write about that.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread was actually derailed in the beginning by an Apple fanboy claiming an iPad would have wider hardware compatibility support than a desktop/laptop.

Given your earlier objection to being called a fanboy, it is pretty hypocritical to start throwing the word at others.

Ive no objection to people making negative comments aimed at either apple or microsoft or google but as it was so blatantly untrue it deserved a response. I think some of the windows fan boys don't realise they do the exact same as the apple fanboys, its actually quite funny to watch.

The surface pro is probably more like an ultra book or convertible than a tablet. As I said the one in John Lewis was running very hot which is worrying as dust will get into the vents and reduce cooling efficiency over time.

I'm not sure the design works yet. It reminds me of the pentium 4 chips they used to put into laptops a some years ago with hyper-threading and they always used to overheat after a while.

It's probably worth waiting for the next iteration of processors that can maybe run cooler in the restrictive environment of a tablet like device.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I got it now! I am typing this post using it. No cover, they ran out of type ones. At least they had one that I could try. I'll get that later from another place or MS shop. Maybe I won't even want one. I do not intend to use it at a table much. It's a bit bulkier than the RT, but lighter than my Samsung S9 ultrabook. The back gets warm after a while, but not too much. I'm still charging it, so I'll see how it runs on batteries. But certainly it's now less hot than the iPad formerly known as the new I played with in the shop when they came out. I installed my RT apps I am developing and they work nicely. That was my excuse for getting the pro, to test them on a touch device with W8 :D I could not set up my Gmail, looks like ActiveSync does not work for the new users anymore. First impressions are very good. I'll see if something disappoints or impresses and then I may write about that.

I'm thinking of breaking the mould and going for a touch cover. I reckon it will be ok after some practice and I think it has a better touchpad than the type.

Don't you have a Surface RT already for testing your apps? That might be more appropriate to see how apps perform on a tablet, there aren't many Core tablets.

Ahh, the GMail is a letdown, I thought you can add it in as an IMAP account now and only the calendar/people sync is missing? It's a shame the MS-Google EAS extension agreement extended only to Windows Phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of breaking the mould and going for a touch cover. I reckon it will be ok after some practice and I think it has a better touchpad than the type.

Don't you have a Surface RT already for testing your apps? That might be more appropriate to see how apps perform on a tablet, there aren't many Core tablets.

Ahh, the GMail is a letdown, I thought you can add it in as an IMAP account now and only the calendar/people sync is missing? It's a shame the MS-Google EAS extension agreement extended only to Windows Phone.

I may give the RT away to a family member. If they tell me they want an iPad... :D Gmail works now via IMAP and my contacts that synced from Gmail via outlook.com are all pictureless :cry: I hope it will change when MS releases their carddav implementation. Touch cover is okayish, but I really don't use it much for anything else than just protecting the display.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention it, out of 110GB is 83.5 GB free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Forgot to mention it, out of 110GB is 83.5 GB free.

You can recover some - around 15GB.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can recover some - around 15GB.

That's fine for now. ATM I am more interested how long it lasts on battery. It's less warm now, too.
  • flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had a look at one in John Lewis at the weekend. Putting the OS to one side for a minute (not a fan of the tiles), for my use it falls between two stools. As a laptop replacement it's underpowered for the price, and as a tablet it's too thick and heavy - I was especially surprised by how thick it is.

In this case I'd much rather have two devices (well specced laptop + Nexus 7 for example) that perform their functions well than one that doesn't quite do either job well enough. Not a gadget for me I'm afraid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flynn wrote: »
    Had a look at one in John Lewis at the weekend. Putting the OS to one side for a minute (not a fan of the tiles), for my use it falls between two stools. As a laptop replacement it's underpowered for the price, and as a tablet it's too thick and heavy - I was especially surprised by how thick it is.

In this case I'd much rather have two devices (well specced laptop + Nexus 7 for example) that perform their functions well than one that doesn't quite do either job well enough. Not a gadget for me I'm afraid.

It's not for everyone. There's a whole host of Windows 8 hardware out there and more is coming (especially 7 and 8 inch tablets).

But you are comparing the Surface Pro to established use cases, use cases that were established based on the hardware made so far.

If you are someone who wants a laptop that is even more portable than usual (i.e. small enough to fit properly on a tray table on a train) and a tablet that can do your laptop functions then it is ideal.

I travel a fair bit for work and I'm already carrying a work laptop and kit as well as enough work and leisure clothes to last me a week. I could have a Surface Pro which is a thick tablet and a small laptop OR I have to choose between an iPad and ultrabook to take with me. Each of those is good at what they do, but neither ultrabook nor iPad can fulfil both roles only one of them. The Surface Pro at least can do it all. (E.g. I can download things via NZB in a hotel room - no iOS or Android tablet can do that as far as I am aware; I can remux videos etc).
  • beachwalkerbeachwalker Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Anybody know of a generic hdmi adapter ordered one off amazon but not the right mini connector
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody know of a generic hdmi adapter ordered one off amazon but not the right mini connector

Have you got an RT or a Pro. They use different connectors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    The surface pro is probably more like an ultra book or convertible than a tablet. As I said the one in John Lewis was running very hot which is worrying as dust will get into the vents and reduce cooling efficiency over time.

I'm not sure the design works yet. It reminds me of the pentium 4 chips they used to put into laptops a some years ago with hyper-threading and they always used to overheat after a while.

It's probably worth waiting for the next iteration of processors that can maybe run cooler in the restrictive environment of a tablet like device.

Haswell has been hailed by a lot of people as the second coming, I think it's going to fall short of most people's expectations as most Intel claims have in past years.

I think the most interesting Windows tablets will come from improvements to Atom platform - there are supposed to be some serious jumps in cpu and graphics capability with both Silvermont and then Airmont.

People are increasingly trying to use keyboard covers into making iPads into pseudo-laptops so I think demand is there, it just needs refinement and these future processors are pretty key.