Options

Rise of the tomb raider

Comments

• Options
    gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    snafu65 wrote: »
    I think it's a decent package to try and appease PS4 owners, and a full RRP would be justified too in my opinion for the content you're getting, I don't agree with the argument it's a year old, it should be cheap. If I hadn't already played it on XB1 it would be one of my most eagerly awaited games for the autumn.

Part of me is wondering if MS is going to try to see if they do a deal to can get this as one of the October Games with Gold titles to take some of the wind out of the PS4 release of the game.
  • Options
    Echo1Echo1 Posts: 7,722
    Forum Member
    gds1972 wrote: »
    Part of me is wondering if MS is going to try to see if they do a deal to can get this as one of the October Games with Gold titles to take some of the wind out of the PS4 release of the game.

That won't happen.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who has played rise. Is it up to standards of last definitive version? As absolutely loved that.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very similar to the first game. If you liked that you will enjoy Rise of the Tomb Raider for sure ;) :cool:
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Anyone who has played rise. Is it up to standards of last definitive version? As absolutely loved that.

From a gameplay perspective its beyond the standards set by the first game, from a story perspective, its probably not 'as good'.

Sounds like the PS4 is getting a really good deal, so if you ain't played it I don't see why paying full price is an issue, its still a new game to PS4 gamers.
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it but the the first one I liked more. I think because it felt so fresh at the time.
  • Options
    hairhelphairhelp Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Great game but I wish they'd used a variety of different landscapes like in the old games. The dreary grey snowy one gets a bit boring.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no where near on the level of that. but it's a decent game.
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hairhelp wrote: »
    Great game but I wish they'd used a variety of different landscapes like in the old games. The dreary grey snowy one gets a bit boring.

Yeah that too.

Rise is solid game but looking back Tomb Raider felt like it was made with more love if that makes sense.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. It felt rushed a bit to me. Story was really flat too , as were the characters.
  • Options
    hairhelphairhelp Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    The first 5 Tomb Raider games were amazing and innovative. Tons of different landscapes and vehicles. Vehicles were one of the things that made Tomb Raider good but there are none in this game. Quad bikes, snowmobiles, boats, they made the game cool.

Mental that they got it so right 20 years ago and they can't do it now.

And we miss the Lara's house level that used to be at the start of some of the games. I wanna shut that butler in the freezer again! :D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just reading that the denuvo protection for this on windows has been cracked and the game is out online. They still haven't managed Just Cause 3 though.
  • Options
    gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they should stop making games for pc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they should stop making games for pc.

I think denuvo's success has shown it's still a viable market IMO.
  • Options
    Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting this game in October for my PS4. Have been very patient :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to get it full stop, but my graphics card isn't powerful enough. Had Just Cause 3 in my Steam Library since last year as well but can't afford to upgrade.

I've got the ram and processor power to be able to cope on reasonable minimum settings, but all for nothing without the graphics card ..
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting this game in October for my PS4. Have been very patient :D

Your patience will be rewarded, it's a great game. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to get it full stop, but my graphics card isn't powerful enough. Had Just Cause 3 in my Steam Library since last year as well but can't afford to upgrade.

I've got the ram and processor power to be able to cope on reasonable minimum settings, but all for nothing without the graphics card ..

Shows what you know :)

Decided to try downloading the hooky version to see if it plays and then I can buy the retail version to ease my conscience if it does.

And it does!. Albeit on "lowest" graphics settings to be fair, but it's very playable. Remains to be seen how playable when there's a lot going on on-screen, but it's very acceptable at the moment - even moreso than Just Case 3 which was very slow and juddery, even on the lowest possible settings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gds1972 wrote: »

Guess not. ;-)
  • Options
    Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows what you know :)

Decided to try downloading the hooky version to see if it plays and then I can buy the retail version to ease my conscience if it does.

And it does!. Albeit on "lowest" graphics settings to be fair, but it's very playable. Remains to be seen how playable when there's a lot going on on-screen, but it's very acceptable at the moment - even moreso than Just Case 3 which was very slow and juddery, even on the lowest possible settings.

wow, this is why devs aren't fans of PC. So you can get free copies of games on PC and get away with it? Had no idea. I believe consoles have something built in that detects illegitimate copies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow, this is why devs aren't fans of PC. So you can get free copies of games on PC and get away with it? Had no idea. I believe consoles have something built in that detects illegitimate copies.

The current generation of consoles haven't been "jailbroken" yet, and i doubt they will be any time soon, but with the XBox 360 and PS3, you can easily download most games for them and burn them to disk if you've modified your console accordingly.

The PC games scene has been as bad for as far back as i can remember - heck, we were copying games when I was at school in the eighties :)

Recently, Denuvo has proven to be quite successful in protecting some PC games (and is still very successful protecting Just Cause 3), but this was cracked on Tomb Raider which is why I decided to try it out first. I've already deleted the copy I downloaded as I fully intend to buy the retail version - i've got every other Tomb Raider game in my Steam Library so it wouldn't seem right not to have the latest one as well ...
  • Options
    RS_mark84RS_mark84 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to playing this in the future, Im not in any rush. So us lucky enough to own a PS4 getting a copy and paste from the Xbone, or are we getting an improved version?

Hopefully its a big improvement on the last one, That was brilliant way to ignite the spark back into the series, which before hand I wasn't a big fan of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RS_mark84 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to playing this in the future, Im not in any rush. So us lucky enough to own a PS4 getting a copy and paste from the Xbone, or are we getting an improved version?

Hopefully its a big improvement on the last one, That was brilliant way to ignite the spark back into the series, which before hand I wasn't a big fan of.

To be honest I don't think there's much difference graphically between the PS4 and XB1 versions, but it's a great looking game anyway so that's no biggie. You will get all the available DLC included though at no extra cost, and some content that's compatible with PSVR if you're getting that.
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Bought the Xbox One version for £13 yesterday off of eBay. I was going to hold off & get the PS4 version but too hard to resist at that price.
  • Options
    JimezJimez Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    If it was a full price release without the extra content, and was made to pay extra for it, then it wouldn't be worth it for a year old game. But the extra content and stuff makes up for it.