Options

First time buyer - is this a good digital camera?

SuperUnleadedSuperUnleaded Posts: 3,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Olympus MJU840:

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/results.asp?string=olympus+mju+840&tab=99&gclid=CKK8uMSdwZICFQMJuwodf35aXQ

It would be my very first digicam, and I'm looking to spend under £200. From what I've gathered, I want more than 7MP (or well over 2000px both ends) and definitely VGA video would be handy. With regards to those, I'm liking the specs of this one.

Question is, is it a good camera and should I buy it on a whim? I've read an independant review or two, but I don't really know where else to go for unbiased and informative reviews.

Also, I'm in quite a rush to have a digicam in my grubby mitts by next weekend so that I can go around London taking photos for an upcoming 'pictorial diary' for a friend in Canada.

All input much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Looks pretty decent.

Think this range are named differently in the USA but this seems to be the same camera (or a very close equivalent model):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/stylus830_pg5.html

... and it got a pretty favourable write up on there. Only thing they really recommend is get a second battery for it as the battery life isn't the best they've seen.

In your price range, I'd pretty much always recommend you have a look at the Panasonic TZ3. Excellent optics, compact but you get 10x optical zoom (you have 5x on the Olympus which isn't bad).

Don't own one myself (although a few of my friends do) but, for a compact, it's performance is excellent.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_reviews/panasonic_tz3_pg5.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a bunch! That they are good is all I really needed to know, because both of those are well within my budget; with enough to spare for extra memory cards as well (I know I'll be needing them on a future trip abroad, since I won't have access to a PC during that time).

I'm now very interested in that TZ3 as per your suggestion. I don't know why, but it sounds a touch more appealing than the MJU840. Plus, the sample photos (of both, for that matter) look a dream. If you reckon it's a good bit of kit, I think I'll snap one up over the weekend. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the TZ3 is one of the most popular digital cameras of all time!

Been superceeded by the TZ4 and TZ5 now but it's still an excellent piece of kit and you can pick them up for around the £150 mark now.

For the size of camera, the zoom capability is unrivalled. You can get more zoom but not in a camera that size, at that cost, with high quality optics.

Like I say, I don't actually own one myself (I have a chunky super-zoom with tons of manual features for taking on holiday and suchlike and a little compact thats good in low light for nights out and stuff). The TZ3 combines the best of both worlds.

Evenyone I know who owns one has nothing but good things to say about them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to update things here – I bought the TZ3 from ukdigitalcameras (came in just one day!), and so far I love it.

I'm still a bit overwhelmed with all the options and modes, but with the 'Normal Picture' settings I'm getting great pics.

Also, the video capture is excellent – I'm just happy that it's better than my friend's Nokia N95! :p

Not sure if I should ever use the ISO or one of the Scene modes, but providing the weather holds out this weekend, I'll nonetheless be getting some awesome shots from around the city.

So yeah, many thanks for the suggestion. It was well worth it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good stuff.

Once you get to grips with it a bit more I'm sure you'll start playing around with more of the manual settings.

Altering the ISO settings can dramatically change the results of the photos you take. In AUTO mode, it'll usually get it about right but a high ISO setting (not too high ...... you'll start to get image noise) is very handy in places where no flash is allowed (a lot of museums and galleries for example) so you can still get a decent shot without the flash. Same in really bright settings .... if you're getting over-exposed looking shots, use low ISO.

You'll find the zoom very useful. 10x optical in a camera that size is very handy.

I don't even own one but I know how good they are.

Glad you're enjoying it.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome recommendation, the Panasonic Lumix cameras are the best affordable semi-pro range at the moment, considering they're fitted with Leica lenses.

I own the FZ8, also bought from Ukdigitalcameras.