Kindle 1-Click

bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,413
Forum Member
✭✭
Just bought a refurbished device yesterday. Managed to make a first purchase for 77p, which seems reasonable enough.

But then a child grabbed it and took it away to play with for half an hour or so. When I got it back, I noticed there were a couple more items in the library! They seemed to be subscriptions or magazine content, which I assumed were free....

...until I looked at some Amazon emails today! One was a subscription with a free trial, which I managed to cancel. The other was for £4.99!

How is it possible for just anyone to take my device and download any amount on stuff on it, without having to enter a password or anything? Is it possible somehow to disable this 1-click thing? I suppose turning off the wi-fi might stop a child ordering things, but wouldn't stop anyone else turning it back on!

Without cancelling all my cards with Amazon, is it going to be safe to take this device on holidays, without it potentially costing me thousands, or should I just take a sledge-hammer to it as soon as possible?

Comments

• JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the Home screen, go to Menu -> Settings and go down to Parental Controls (page 2 on my Kindle). From there you can turn off access to the Kindle Store.

You can also set a device password.

Access to these functions depends on which Kindle you have.

Help is here.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think theres any way of stoping the 1 click purchase but you can put a passcode onto the Kindle to lock it.

Dont want to lecture but if a 'child' just grabbed my kindle to play with it would be less than half an hour before I'd get it back. You could take you card's off Amazon and only pay with pre payes vouchers if your that worried.

edit: just seem the advise above and yes you can add parental controls and remove access to the shop
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I would not let a child play with it without sticking on proper child controls.

Password your Kindle makes it difficult to use.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would let a child play with it without sticking on proper child controls.
    "wouldn't"?
    Password your Kindle makes it difficult to use.
    Why? It doesn't have to be long and/or complicated. It's not Fort Knox.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    "wouldn't"?

Why? It doesn't have to be long and/or complicated. It's not Fort Knox.

Longer passwords are more difficult to guess.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    From the Home screen, go to Menu -> Settings and go down to Parental Controls (page 2 on my Kindle). From there you can turn off access to the Kindle Store.

You can also set a device password.

Thanks. All I found online was that 1-click itself couldn't be disabled.

I've just tried the device password too but it's a bit a of a pain having to enter it every time I turn it on (my Kindle has no tactile keyboard nor touch-screen).

The parental control password I assume will also be sufficient to stop anyone else maliciously ordering things via my account (if it got stolen for example)?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    Thanks. All I found online was that 1-click itself couldn't be disabled.
    That's odd. I found the information I gave you quite quickly by going to Manage Your Kindle on the Amazon web site, then it was item 4 in Help, Popular Topics
    bart4858 wrote: »
    I've just tried the device password too but it's a bit a of a pain having to enter it every time I turn it on (my Kindle has no tactile keyboard nor touch-screen).

The parental control password I assume will also be sufficient to stop anyone else maliciously ordering things via my account (if it got stolen for example)?
    Not having kids of meddling age, I don't need parental controls and didn't realise there was a separate password for that.

Yes, it must be awkward entering text when you don't have a keyboard (mine does).
  • !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easiest way, surely, is to just switch off wifi? Can't be any accidental ordering from kids using it then. If they switch it on and buy stuff, it's a deliberate act and they can be punished/charged for it.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on how often you buy from Amazon, you could stop them holding your card details. You could then buy a £25 or £50 gift card and register it to your account. Which would limit the possible loss.

Or, has been said, switch off your wifi - the battery will last longer then.
  • FiendishlyCFiendishlyC Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    You can return digital items too - but they may not allow you to keep doing this (I've not returned any digital content myself but the option is there)