Windows 8 on a lap top

2»

Comments

• neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good afternoon. I am getting a new lappy on Monday, it comes with Windows 8. Will it be idiot proof? I love Windows 7 but not averse to the upgrade, so long as it is pretty straightforward. I'm not a total technical dinosaur but I'm not totally au fait with how it all works.

Any useful advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

The problem with your question is that it will attract the usual bunch of DS/W8 detractors, some of whom have already dished out the usual nonsense.

I like W8, I also like W7 nowt wrong with either. W8 seems to run nicely and if your the type who can't live without the old W7 start button there are free programmes to put it back for you.

In summary, give W8 a good run, use it for a week or two, look on the net for answers to your questions (please, don't rely on DS or your stuffed to start with). I like its fresh and crisp look plus its fast :)

Some think it 'too' different et al, reality is its not much different at all.

I hope you enjoy your new laptop :)
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got my new laptop and I do quite like Windows 8. It is different! But I'm enjoying getting to find my way around it.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have W8 on one desktop, two laptops, and W RT on a tablet and did not feel a need for a start menu or aero. I like W8.
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... it comes with Windows 8. Will it be idiot proof? ...
    Windows8 came on my dad's new laptop : it took me some time to understand what the heck all the colourful boxes were for.
    When I understood they were actually for NOTHING, I quickly installed some fixes and workarounds to bring up the proper desktop each time it started.
    Windows 8 SLEEP mode is truly excellent and instant : much better than Win7 and even quicker than XP's sleep/wake up so that's an improvement.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windows8 came on my dad's new laptop : it took me some time to understand what the heck all the colourful boxes were for.
    When I understood they were actually for NOTHING, I quickly installed some fixes and workarounds to bring up the proper desktop each time it started.
    Windows 8 SLEEP mode is truly excellent and instant : much better than Win7 and even quicker than XP's sleep/wake up so that's an improvement.

:D Yeah I remember that first moment of going through the initial set up of my new laptop, waiting for it to boot and then just stopping and staring at the screen and thinking "WTF?". I use Classic Shell.