Options

Free netbook offer

Comments

• Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    Nice work ignoring the rest of my post(s) If you had even bothered to read the full thing you would see that my credit rating is just fine.
    Well it can't be or you wouldn't be having this problem would you?

(Unless I'm missing something; and I don't mean your "it's a lottery" point ;))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On XL TV, L BB, M phone with 2 V+ boxes, they want an extra £15 per month for the 1gig mobile broadband. Already pay £50 a month so said i will have to pass which is a shame as having a netbook would save me turning on my pc all the time just to browse the net :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I already have the full vm package 50mg broadband and dongle, new laptop on way for 14.99 pandp. 50 quid charged waived.
  • Options
    hurrikane313hurrikane313 Posts: 2,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it can't be or you wouldn't be having this problem would you?

(Unless I'm missing something; and I don't mean your "it's a lottery" point ;))

What you are missing is the fact that I refuse to get myself in to debt just in order to take advantage of things like contract mobiles and special offers such as this. I have already stated I have only ever had one credit card and I cancelled it five years ago. So basically I am being punished for not being a complete and utter idiot and putting myself into huge ammounts of debt.

It is a known fact that companies dont like people with perfect credit ratings, they would rather have somebody who shows a score of less than 1000.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    So basically I am being punished for not being a complete and utter idiot and putting myself into huge ammounts of debt.

Companies want people with a track record of paying off debt, not people with lots of debts.

Credit cards are useful because you can build up a good credit history without paying any interest charges if you pay off your bills in full every month.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjbrum wrote: »
    Companies want people with a track record of paying off debt, not people with lots of debts.

Credit cards are useful because you can build up a good credit history without paying any interest charges if you pay off your bills in full every month.

My point exactly, you have to have debt in order to get credit, it does not matter if you pay in full or not it is still debt as you are spending money you do not have at the time. So my point stands. In order to get this offer I have to show some kind of debt on my credit file, but because I have a perfect score and no credit for five years I am looked down upon and punished for it by companies whose only idea of good customers is somebody who shows debt on their credit file.

But I should now point out I have contacted the CEO's office regarding this, as I feel it is victimisation, and also I feel poorly treated by the sales staff that dealt with my request, who out right refused to give a reason for me being not pre-approved and then after I asked about the other option available they hung up. I dont care if I get the netbook or not, I just care about getting it explained by an official member of staff, and not members of staff who post on a public messageboard. Thats all I asked for in the first place but was treated very rudely by an offshore member of staff who had not only asked me for my account number five times because they kept inputting the wrong details due to lack of understanding but also kept getting my name wrong. Is it therefore not visable that this member of staff inputted the wrong details and thus got the wrong details back?

The CEO's office is now looking into it anyway as I got a response from them first thing this morning stating that they are looking into it and will contact me again later with either an explination or to process my order.
  • Options
    BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    My point exactly, you have to have debt in order to get credit, it does not matter if you pay in full or not it is still debt as you are spending money you do not have at the time.
    That's not true at all. I have credit card, but use it instead of my debit card, and then put aside the equivalent cash from my salary. This means I only ever spend money I actually have
    So my point stands. In order to get this offer I have to show some kind of debt on my credit file, but because I have a perfect score and no credit for five years I am looked down upon and punished for it by companies whose only idea of good customers is somebody who shows debt on their credit file.
    No - what you have to show is that you can meet your financial commitments. No Credit History means you can't do that

It is the same reason you sometimes need to run a credit card or other credit agreement for a period of time before a bank will give you a mortgage

This is especially true the older you get
    But I should now point out I have contacted the CEO's office regarding this, as I feel it is victimisation
    But it's not. VM would have made a decision that they require a certain credit score to pass the netbook offer - if you don't pass that credit score then you don't get the netbook. All customers are treated the same way - they have to meet the score criteria.
    also I feel poorly treated by the sales staff that dealt with my request, who out right refused to give a reason for me being not pre-approved
    Because they don't know! They have no control over the pre-approved list, and are not allowed to offer any alternative if you have been declined!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BenMcr77 wrote: »
    That's not true at all. I have credit card, but use it instead of my debit card, and then put aside the equivalent cash from my salary. This means I only ever spend money I actually have

No - what you have to show is that you can meet your financial commitments. No Credit History means you can't do that

It is the same reason you sometimes need to run a credit card or other credit agreement for a period of time before a bank will give you a mortgage

This is especially true the older you get
    But it's not. VM would have made a decision that they require a certain credit score to pass the netbook offer - if you don't pass that credit score then you don't get the netbook. All customers are treated the same way - they have to meet the score criteria.

Because they don't know! They have no control over the pre-approved list, and are not allowed to offer any alternative if you have been declined!

Sorry but I do not accept your answers. For one you completely took my first point too literally. I never said everybody that has a credit card is using money they do not have at the time, but the vast majority of people have credit cards are in fact using money they do not have at the time, if that were not the case explain the fact that the entire world is screwed because of overwhelming debts.

Secondly how does me not having any debts, loans or any other type of credit prove I can not meet financial requirements? All it actually proves is that I am not stupid and am actually very responsible with money.

And you say they dont know why people are not pre-approved, when if it is indeed because of failure of a credit check it would alert them to that fact. I know this because I run credit checks myself and if a person asks me why I can let them rent one of my units, I have to tell them they failed a credit check and to contact a credit refference agency. It does not take alot to do that, if the member of staff had told me that I would have said fair enough, but they didn't they just ignored my questions and then hung up. Now either they did not know what they were doing as regards to the system or they did not understand a damn word I was saying which is evident by the fact they got my account number wrong consistently despite me telling them it five times each time using single numbers and pausing between them. They also got my name wrong for god sake. If that does not say poor, untrained customer service then I dont know what does.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry but I do not accept your answers. For one you completely took my first point too literally. I never said everybody that has a credit card is using money they do not have at the time, but the vast majority of people have credit cards are in fact using money they do not have at the time, if that were not the case explain the fact that the entire world is screwed because of overwhelming debts.
    You are the one who have associated a Credit History with debt. As I pointed out you can have a Credit History without debt.
    Secondly how does me not having any debts, loans or any other type of credit prove I can not meet financial requirements? All it actually proves is that I am not stupid and am actually very responsible with money.
    And how can a company verify that then? Where is the proof apart from your word?

You have a go with the world for being too debt ridden and too free with credit and then expect Virgin and others to take a risk purely based on your say so?!
  • Options
    cy_bonescy_bones Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be calling them tomorrow to see what I can get - currently have XL TV, L broadband (was M before they upped it!) and L phone.
  • Options
    timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think you'll get the £50 offer mate, i was told that was stopping last night, looks like you would need to take the mobile broadband offer if you wanted one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRMB wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that Win7 may be available on USB stick. I'm not sure if this is so, but it would be nice if true.

Other software, such as Norton 360, have a netbook option, that allows you to download the netbook version from a particular section of their site... I believe this is the way forward for sure.

I bought an Acer One (with Linux) for £149 and transferred my copy of XP over to it via (self made) bootable USB stick.
    It would't surprise me - a stripped down version of Win7 for notebooks really should be available at launch so USB stick makes the most sense (apart from downloading, but that would probably need to be onto bootable media).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timpo wrote: »
    Don't think you'll get the £50 offer mate, i was told that was stopping last night, looks like you would need to take the mobile broadband offer if you wanted one.
    Thought so, not a big deal though as it's only a bit extra a month...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRMB wrote: »
    I heard a rumour that Win7 may be available on USB stick. I'm not sure if this is so, but it would be nice if true.

Other software, such as Norton 360, have a netbook option, that allows you to download the netbook version from a particular section of their site... I believe this is the way forward for sure.

I bought an Acer One (with Linux) for £149 and transferred my copy of XP over to it via (self made) bootable USB stick.

Read this http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=118090

" Microsoft will only be selling full versions of Windows 7 in the EU - and that includes the Windows for Netbook licence. "

" Windows 7 for Netbooks will ship the same day as other editions of Windows 7 but will only be available preinstalled by the vendor. The licence cost for this has not been announced. However, Microsoft confirms that it has lifted the original restriction that allowed only three applications to run on the netbook OS at once. "

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor to test if yopur netbook can run winndows 7

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/upgrade-advisor.aspx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are the one who have associated a Credit History with debt. As I pointed out you can have a Credit History without debt.

And how can a company verify that then? Where is the proof apart from your word?

You have a go with the world for being too debt ridden and too free with credit and then expect Virgin and others to take a risk purely based on your say so?!

I never said you can't have credit without debt, I simply stated that credit creates debt, if you disagree with that then you need some help. But to be honest it is pretty much impossible to say that anybody who has credit does not have debt. It does not matter if you pay it off each month, on time or whatever for the 30 day period or longer that you have between payments you have debts, it makes no difference if it is short term or long term it is stil debt. You can sugar coat shit all you want but at the end of the day it is still shit.

Lets see the proof is in the fact that I have never made a late payment or a short payment to VM, in nearly three years of having services with them. How hard is it to look at somebodies account and think "This person has been a good customer, they are not a risk"? What am I going to do up and move just because I managed to get a netbook?

For gods sake man take your head out of your arse and actually read what I am saying not just glance at it, because it seems you are missing vital points. As I have stated continuously my problem is not that I did not get the netbook it is the out right rudeness of VM staff members, are you all trained to just ignore the vital points of peoples querries? It is not acceptable to ignore a question and then hang up on a customer. If you went to your local Asda and asked a member of staff a question about a product and they ignored you and then walked away without even acknowledging that you had asked them a question would you think to yourself "Well thats perfectly acceptable I did interupt them whilst they were doing their job." No you wouldn't you would complain or quite possibly think "Screw this they just lost a customer" Ignorance and rudeness are completely inacceptable in any kind of business enviroment especially customer service.

Now when you go to work make sure to tell your manager you and all your colleagues need more training on how to be polite and helpful, and then watch how many customers decide to stay with VM rather than leave because of the reasons I have stated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For gods sake man take your head out of your arse and actually read what I am saying not just glance at it, because it seems you are missing vital points. As I have stated continuously my problem is not that I did not get the netbook it is the out right rudeness of VM staff members, are you all trained to just ignore the vital points of peoples querries?

eerrr

Kettle....Black..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For gods sake man take your head out of your arse

Irony at its greatest...........:D
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,713
    Forum Member
    What you are missing is the fact that I refuse to get myself in to debt just in order to take advantage of things like contract mobiles and special offers such as this.
    Not at all. That is by far the best possible stance to take.

If I couldn't afford to pay cash for it, it doesn't go on my CC, which I think of a simply a convenience and not an alternative.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said you can't have credit without debt, I simply stated that credit creates debt, if you disagree with that then you need some help.

....snip...

Completely off topic but your wrong, look at how the monetary banking system actually works and you will find that debt creates credit in this crazy system off ours! If there wasn't any debt nobody would be able to get any credit as the banks wouldn't be able to magic up money out of thin air and issue it! It's also the reason the monetary system has interest, not that it can survive forever with or with out interest...

Back on topic what phone numbers have people had the most success with? Not happy with the quoted £15 extra per month for just the 1gig.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    casper_uk wrote: »
    Not happy with the quoted £15 extra per month for just the 1gig.
    As I did point out several pages ago - in addition to the 24 month recontract everyone has to do - unless you are on Triple XL (£58 a month) or above you have no choice. The offer requires you to take the 1GB dongle for £15 a month
  • Options
    TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I did point out several pages ago - in addition to the 24 month recontract everyone has to do - unless you are on Triple XL (£58 a month) or above you have no choice. The offer requires you to take the 1GB dongle for £15 a month

SO i am now on triple xl and paid 50 quid i am not stuck on the 24 month contract then
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The £50 option has now stopped for all existing customers.

Existing Customers below Triple XL will have to pay £15 a month for the 1Gb dongle to get the netbook (+ 24 month contract)

Existing Customers above Triple XL will have to pay £15 a month for the 3Gb dongle to get the netbook (+ 24 month contract)
  • Options
    bamindybamindy Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    This is a message to Ben and anyone else who's department is overseeing this promotion roll-out.

I think there's a key issue that no-one has really highlighted, although Ben, you've stated in an earlier post that the Netbook isn't free as such, but is with special bundles.

I called to order this last night on the following basis, but ended up speaking to 2 sales reps in India, and then retentions then sales in the UK, to no avail.

If you go on teh Virgin Media website, go to Broadband / Mobile Broadband, the price for the 1GB dongle is £5. So if I just want to add that to my current package, it'll cost me £5.

However, if I want to take advantage of the excellent "free" netbook offer - that very same dongle suddenly becomes £15. Someone earlier mentioned that this is how Virgin would recoup their costs, which is fine.

However, the wording of a free netbook that is included with a service that costs less normally, is very misleading and I'm sure there are certain regulators who would also agree that this is the case.

Virgin have made a massive bloomer with this and will need to sort out how their adveristing of their netbook.

I've no doubt that with other suppliers (phone chainstores, for example), you'll get a free laptop, etc, when you take out a mobile broadband plan at £x - you know this is probably an inflated priced to cover the cost of the laptop. However, they won't have the same service sitting on a shelf at £5, with the option for a free laptop next to it for £15.

It's not free. Why don't Virgin just say, take out our 1GB dongle for £5 per month, or for £15 you can have a netbook too! Simple, and we the customers know exactly where we stand.

I was told I could pay £50 up front if I upgraded my package, or pay £15 on top of my current bundle for the 1GB dongle with the netbook.

Whatever way you spin the wording, Virgin - you are NOT giving customers a "free" netbook.

Regards,
    Bamindy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The netbook is ONLY described as free in adverts and pricing talking about the bundles with the £15 dongles.

Therefore it is ONLY free when taken with those £15 dongles.

For everyone else it does cost more.

This is no different than 'free' mobile phones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said Ben, just received mine as promised and on time.