Curious Panasonic Sky Box issue

WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
Forum Member
Hi all,

Bit of an odd one, have got home to discover my folks have got an issue with their Sky. Basically, on certain channels (BBC2), the screen will randomly flick to black and white and back to colour, within about a second. Sometimes it does this once, sometimes repeatedly.

Its odd because its not like signal interferance - it is more like it is switching modes, and back again. Signal strength is excellent.

I've just noticed if I load Playjam, it does it constantly on that programme - flicking between black and white and colour.

I've tried to update the software to no avail. Its a Panasonic 2.1.w Set top box, running 3.7.6 software, into a Samsung LCD tv (3 months old).

Any ideas?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds like its had it but check the scart lead is plugged in properly
  • Turks HatTurks Hat Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weeksy wrote: »

Any ideas?

Try removing and re-seating SCART and HDMI leads.

Edit: Previous Poster has now added that suggestion by way of undeclared Edit - I got there first!! :p
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    kernowsat wrote: »
    sounds like its had it but check the scart lead is plugged in properly

Mmm I know, its just weird that it only happens occasionally on a few specific channels and Playjam!

:eek:
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which model Panasonic is it? TU-DSB..... ?
    Try changing the Scart output from RGB to PAL and see if that stops it. (In the Picture menu.)
  • WeeksyWeeksy Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Which model Panasonic is it? TU-DSB..... ?
    Try changing the Scart output from RGB to PAL and see if that stops it. (In the Picture menu.)

TU-DSB31. Must be about 7 years old.

Have tried that, but still does it. Its obviously not a fault with the satellite signal as it does it on the Playjam loading screen, and affects the info bar when i press select whilst its gone weird.

Almost wondering if its the tv trying to switch modes or something. May try having it on composite rather than Scart.
  • JamesEJamesE Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    I rented a Gite in Normandy a few years ago for the very reason that it was owned by an Englishman and he had installed Satellite TV (Skybox). He complained that it kept going black and white. I swapped it to RGB instead of CVBS and it never lost colour again! One night he asked me to record something. Of course, the recorder would be on the VCR Scart with no RGB. We watched the programme in colour - his recording was in in B/W and he was non too pleased.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly question, they ARE viewing via scart aren't then, and not via RF tuned in on the analogue tuner?

I only ask, as the only time I have seen a similar problem was when watching via RF and the tv wasn't fine tuned correctly.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member
    With the box set to RGB (which just sets pin 16 high anyway), and connected via a suitable RGB capable SCART lead, in to an RGB capable SCART socket - you WILL have 'colour', because there is no colour signal involved.

If it's still B&W then it's not working in RGB, but is still Composite.

The Composite signal is derived inside the Sky box using a PAL encoder, and it's quite possible for a fault to develope in that, normally the sub-carrier oscillator slightly off frequency. BUt this doresn't affect RGB, where you can't possibly get a no-colour fault.
    Forum Member
    Yes I wonder if Martin had wined and dined well in his Greek sunshine and he meant "change from PAL to RGB".
    Forum Member
    bump to show post - this is getting irritating.
  • Turks HatTurks Hat Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, now I've twigged what all the otherwise apparently pointless "nudge up" Posts are about - I have the same problem with new Posts being indicated but not viewable.

Also, some of the Forum Tree links ("You are in .....", at the top of the page) don't work at times.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamesE wrote: »
    Yes I wonder if Martin had wined and dined well in his Greek sunshine and he meant "change from PAL to RGB".

Actually, I was quite sober. Hadn't had a "raki" for at least an hour!

Since the OP experiences the problem only on "certain channels" that smacked of a tuner fault.
    The TU-DSB31 had a particular tuner problem, which caused picture breakup but only when RGB was selected. (It had something to do with extra current drain, I think, but the tuner was the culprit). I wondered if this was something similar. Hence my asking what's the model number? and suggesting what I suggested.

Since that didn't help, I shall now suggest recycling it. :cool:

(I think the "nudge" problem has something to do with the damn adverts failing to load. I may have a solution but I'd get kicked off the forum if I published it. I'm sure The Management want everyone to see the adverts.) ;)