Options

Star Wars

c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Does anybody know if and when this will be released on blu ray?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    Yes, next year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Why didn't you just type Star Wars Blu Ray on your search engine?
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King Wrong wrote: »

What's the fun in that? :)
  • Options
    grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    October is the most recent rumour.
    But unless the original versions that actually made the money and the series reputation are included I think Lucas can keep the Blurays until we get the films we saw the first time round rather than his afterthoughts
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucas has said countless times that he considers the '97 versions the true versions and he'll never ever release the originals
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But unless the original versions that actually made the money and the series reputation are included I think Lucas can keep the Blurays until we get the films we saw the first time round rather than his afterthoughts

That's how I feel.

I just want the originals on blu-ray and then that's it for me ..................... until the 3D versions come out :D
  • Options
    ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agree 100% with this. Been off sick with the lurgy the last few days, so time for my annual rewatch of the trilogy - perhaps the last time on DVD. Just still amazed how brilliant Empire remains and news that it's being preserved in the US National Film Registry confirms this. Simply one of the most perfect films ever made.

But could only manage about 45 mins of Jedi before my interest waned. What a massive come-down and still irks that this was the finale. It's only saved by the FX and end duel, but the rest - yeesh.

Still better (just) than the prequels.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »
    lucas has said countless times that he considers the '97 versions the true versions and he'll never ever release the originals

He said he would never release the originals on dvd , and then they came out anyway.

I daresay the Bluray originals will be a couple of releases down the line so he can screw every penny out of the fans.

I hope he does not make the mistake of trying to get people to buy all 6 films in a boxset as this will stop many people from bothering
  • Options
    acfacf Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Wish they would show them on SkyHD again, they've not done that for yonks
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have a bit of a cold, I won't be out celebrating tonight & have decided that am going to watch all 6 Star Wars films back to back. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As I have a bit of a cold, I won't be out celebrating tonight & have decided that am going to watch all 6 Star Wars films back to back. :D

May the Lemsip be with you master, hehehehe. Happy New Year, soz you feel lousy.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    acf wrote: »
    May the Lemsip be with you master, hehehehe. Happy New Year, soz you feel lousy.

Lmao :D. No worries, it is only a small cold so am staying in so that I can see the other half next week. Happy New Year to you as well.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He said he would never release the originals on dvd , and then they came out anyway.

... although, in what I felt was a case of "HA HA HA F**K YOU!" to the fans, the original versions were released on DVD non-anamorphic and non-remastered...
  • Options
    Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wiseguy100 wrote: »

I think it would be the 2004 versions or prob yet another 'improved' version .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lmao :D. No worries, it is only a small cold so am staying in so that I can see the other half next week. Happy New Year to you as well.

Ahhhh, Jedi Manflu :rolleyes:
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    King Wrong wrote: »

I was browsing this forum whilst using my phone, so felt it easier to ask here at the time:rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for their replies, and now that I'm using my PC I have googled this and found the answer:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    ... although, in what I felt was a case of "HA HA HA F**K YOU!" to the fans, the original versions were released on DVD non-anamorphic and non-remastered...

Yes = apparently from the LD masters .
    Made the excuse that the original versions were not available in a better quality.

What a crock.
    Hopefully when Lucas kicks the bucket Fox will release them as the fans want them
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

THIS!!!!! *likes* *retweets*
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh hang on, when did Greedo first shoot first, the 97 version or '04 version?

The inclusion of Hayden Christiansen in the final scene of ROTJ makes me want to puke more than the Greedo issue TBH, so if it';s the 97 version I wouldn't be that annoyed.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh hang on, when did Greedo first shoot first, the 97 version or '04 version?

The inclusion of Hayden Christiansen in the final scene of ROTJ makes me want to puke more than the Greedo issue TBH, so if it';s the 97 version I wouldn't be that annoyed.

Greedo shot first in the first version of the Special Edition: 1997.

Lucas tweaked it again for the 2004 DVD release. Greedo still shot first, but it didn't look *quite* as stupid as in the 1997 version.

Adding HC to ROTJ... Yes! One of the worst changes IMO. Obi-Wan's ghost wasn't changed to McGregor instead of Alec Guinness, so WTF was Anakin's changed to bloody Christensen instead of Sebatian Shaw?
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the 1997 SEs that will be on Blu Ray:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18004/greedo-to-still-shoot-first-in-1080p-updated-

Thankfully you can be pretty sure GL won't be making further changes for this release, mainly because he's saving further changes for the 3D re-release of the series starting in 2012:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18352/-star-wars-gets-3d-re-releases

So no doubt starting 2013 we'll see individual 3D Blu Ray releaseses of these Ultimate Editions followed by a box-set around 2018 by which time Super HD might be making its way onto the market and we'll start all over again!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Who's going to buy these on Blu-Ray now? Surely there must be ZERO interested parties in Star Wars these days. The continued insistence that the original movies do not exist will cause problems for Lucas and any future release of the films on any format.

I think a few changes here and there would have been fantastic. Look at how Blade Runner got a great clean up. But wholesale changes to characters (I'm looking at who shot first here) and pointless additions will surely mean that SW has had it's day now, until someone decides to engage common sense and does a decent respectable clean up of the originals and releases them. As for the prequels, I'll be sticking my fingers in my ears in future. He's not getting any more money out of me for anything SW related until he sorts it out.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    This thread needs some ...
    http://www.redlettermedia.com/
    :D
    The original unmolested are what people would really want on bluray, back when lucas didn't have total power and still had some fire in his belly.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    The whole situation with star wars is really sad.
    Lucas started off well, creating a trilogy everyone loved, he made $millions and revolutionised the special effects industry.

But he is no longer that young man full of ideas any more, he is now a stubborn old man who owns all the balls and toys in the playground, and no-one can play without his permission.

He has so much money and power now that he doesnt really care what anyone thins, just as long as he get what he wants, he loves ramming CG in every scene, he ruined the latest Indy film for me with that.

It is sad that a man held in so high regard 15 years ago, if held in such low regards now.

In fact the only way a lot of fans of star wars will get what they want, is when he dies, in fact the bloke is so arrogant and controlling, i wouldnt put it past him to pu it in his will that the original star wars should never see the light of day.

It is real sad, the power has gone to his head.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that Fox own the first Star Wars film outright and if they wanted to release it as it was made they could do.
    However - this would risk alienating Lucas and they won't want to upset the man who makes them so much money
    But the bottom line is that their letting him do what he wants regarding the first film is a courtesy so when he kicks the bucket they should be able to bring it out unless he has some kind of after death legal hold that allows someone to take the later films away from Fox if they do something against his wishes.

Warner offered the same courtesy to Kubrick by withdrawing A Clockwork Orange from UK circulation in the mid 70's at his request but they didn't waste time getting it out there when he died.