Options

Netflix could soon block VPN & DNS users

Comments

• Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hola does not seem to be working for me on my laptop and phone, just says proxy error.

Does that mean it is blocked?
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing I have found is that I cannot find a way to alter DNS settings on the homehub 5, so that kinda makes the unblockus region switcher obsolete. The only workaround I can think of for having UK & USA netflix on 1 device is by having the wireless DNS set as 1 region & the wired DNS set as another region. That way when the blueray is connected via wireless, it will have the USA content & when it is connected directly to the Homehub, it will have the UK content. The only reason I am considering doing this is because of content that has been removed from the USA store, but had recently been added to the UK one.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    One thing I have found is that I cannot find a way to alter DNS settings on the homehub 5, so that kinda makes the unblockus region switcher obsolete. The only workaround I can think of for having UK & USA netflix on 1 device is by having the wireless DNS set as 1 region & the wired DNS set as another region. That way when the blueray is connected via wireless, it will have the USA content & when it is connected directly to the Homehub, it will have the UK content. The only reason I am considering doing this is because of content that has been removed from the USA store, but had recently been added to the UK one.

You don't need to add the DNS to the HH, just set the DNS to the device you wish to use.
    You can however request a VPN address via unblockUs which can be added to the HH in the advanced settings menu.
  • Options
    TunnelVision9TunnelVision9 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's working now, time for some Weeds ;-)
  • Options
    PerfectMarkPerfectMark Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I have just discovered the wonders of Canada and Denmark thanks to this thread. I just assumed that all the good content was on the US Netflix, but it turns out that Canada and the Scandinavian countries have a lot of stuff which hasn't even been on Sky. So spent yesterday enjoying Rush.

This is a great site to use to search all the Netflixes:
    https://netflixaroundtheworld.com
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hola does not seem to be working for me on my laptop and phone, just says proxy error.

Does that mean it is blocked?

No just that Hola is crap as it always has been you are better off shelling out a couple of quid a month for unblock-us at least you get support there too if anything goes wrong which is very rare.
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I got same issue with my plusnet router mate all i did was attatch a cheap tplink router to it via ethernet and set up smart dns on the tplink router it works like a charm.
    One i'm using should work on homehub 5 too as it worked on vms superhub and has worked on my plusnet router too http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/121537709921?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    No just that Hola is crap as it always has been you are better off shelling out a couple of quid a month for unblock-us at least you get support there too if anything goes wrong which is very rare.
    I, and quite a few people I know, have been using Hola for absolutely ages and never once encountered a problem.
  • Options
    Balbinder MannBalbinder Mann Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I have just discovered the wonders of Canada and Denmark thanks to this thread. I just assumed that all the good content was on the US Netflix, but it turns out that Canada and the Scandinavian countries have a lot of stuff which hasn't even been on Sky. So spent yesterday enjoying Rush.

This is a great site to use to search all the Netflixes:
    https://netflixaroundtheworld.com

Try the Netherlands as well if you can. That's my favourite at the moment, although Canada comes close. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got same issue with my plusnet router mate all i did was attatch a cheap tplink router to it via ethernet and set up smart dns on the tplink router it works like a charm.
    One i'm using should work on homehub 5 too as it worked on vms superhub and has worked on my plusnet router too http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/121537709921?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108

Wow thank you very much for that, will have to order one if it means I will be able to use the region selector., am I right in thinking that it will give me a port extender as well ?
  • Options
    Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try the Netherlands as well if you can. That's my favourite at the moment, although Canada comes close. :)

give sweden a go too ;-)
  • Options
    rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    I had a issue on the PS3 the other day (using Smart DNS) where I was getting directed to the U.S. content and menus, but when I selected titles I got an error saying "this title is not available in your region(GB)" even though I was clearly using a DNS to access the US version.

It was letting me view titles that were also available on UK Netflix though. So it really did seem to be using my PS3 region as a way to control my access.

But the next morning all was returned to normal.

I wondered if this was a sign of the much-rumoured new controls they have been testing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try this. worked for me when i had that happen

'If you have problems logging into the Netflix app, as the app loads hold start and select and this will reset the Netflix app. You'll be prompted to login again, please login.'

http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291530-how-to-setup-your-playstation-3-ps3-to-use-unblock-us
  • Options
    rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Cheers, as I say it seemed to solve itself.

But I just thought it was odd that it was seemingly using something other than the DNS setting to check my access to titles.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow thank you very much for that, will have to order one if it means I will be able to use the region selector

I'm not sure what understanding you have about the Netflix region picker on the Unblock-us homepage, but you don't have to have the DNS on your router for it to work.

You can still change the Netflix region using a device that isn't using the UU DNS, but the region change will only take effect on the devices actually using the DNS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure what understanding you have about the Netflix region picker on the Unblock-us homepage, but you don't have to have the DNS on your router for it to work.

You can still change the Netflix region using a device that isn't using the UU DNS, but the region change will only take effect on the devices actually using the DNS.

I am a newbie with this kind of thing and am using Netflix on a PS4 and a Samsung bluray player.
  • Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    I am a newbie with this kind of thing and am using Netflix on a PS4 and a Samsung bluray player.

Then just enter the DNS settings to each device you wish to use then use the region selector to change Region.
    I use this handy mobile region selector on my phone. https://m.unblock-us.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

https://support.unblock-us.com/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Then just enter the DNS settings to each device you wish to use then use the region selector to change Region.

region changer all the way. so easy :)
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member

Thanks for that, I've been looking for a secondary router to go with my HH5 for use with UnblockUS and didn't expect to find one at such a good price. :)

It's also available on Amazon (a Prime item) for a couple of quid more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart P wrote: »
    region changer all the way. so easy :)

All I can say is wow, cannot believe that I can watch classics like Married With Children on the Netherlands Netflix by a simple click of the mouse, don't even need to buy another router to connect to the Home Hub. Well chuffed thank you :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know what phone you are using but Unblock-us have a nifty app on the Play Store that I have just found. After making some quick DNS changes on my phones WiFi, I can safely say that the app works a treat. :D
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I've been looking for a secondary router to go with my HH5 for use with UnblockUS and didn't expect to find one at such a good price. :)

It's also available on Amazon (a Prime item) for a couple of quid more.

Why bother though? :confused:

As already mentioned in the thread, there is no need to use Unblock-US (or similar service) via the router - just set the DNS on the actual device(s) you use Netflix on instead.
  • Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know what phone you are using but Unblock-us have a nifty app on the Play Store that I have just found. After making some quick DNS changes on my phones WiFi, I can safely say that the app works a treat. :D

So you paid for an app by a 3rd party app developer, that is in no way associated to Unblock us, where the mobile site that Gonzo linked to is like an app and is provided by Unblock us, and best of all its FREE.

Your choice I guess as its your cash :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you paid for an app by a 3rd party app developer, that is in no way associated to Unblock us, where the mobile site that Gonzo linked to is like an app and is provided by Unblock us, and best of all its FREE.

Your choice I guess as its your cash :)

Yes the App is 3rd party, but it is free :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.github.unblockus.manager&hl=en_GB