Kylie Scores Her Second Million Selling Single

BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
Forum Member
Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan's 1988 hit single Especially for You has finally passed the million sales mark in the UK 26 years after it was first released. In fact, the song is the second most successful single of the 1980s by a female singer. The Power of Love by Jennifer Rush is first. Kylie is just one of a handful of female artists who have achieved the very rare feat of two million selling singles in the UK, the others being Celine Dion, Adele, Lady Gaga and Rihanna.

The female artists who have achieved one million selling single in the UK include Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Cher, Whitney Houston and Jennifer Rush.

Go Kylie! A nice bit of news in an otherwise disappointing year.

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan's 1988 hit single Especially for You has finally passed the million sales mark in the UK twenty-six years after it was first released. In fact, the song is the second most successful single of the 1980s by a female singer. The Power of Love by Jennifer Rush is first. Kylie is just one of a handful of female artists who have achieved the very rare feat of two million selling singles in the UK, the others being Celine Dion, Adele, Lady Gaga and Rihanna.

Other female artists who have achieved one million selling single in the UK include Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Cher, Whitney Houston and Jennifer Rush.

It's not really just Kylie though is it? that was a duet...so technically she hasn't achieved that rare feat yet.
  • chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whats her other one?

Locomotion? I should be so lucky? Cant get you out of my head?
  • ThaGazBoiThaGazBoi Posts: 15,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisqc wrote: »
    Whats her other one?

Locomotion? I should be so lucky? Cant get you out of my head?

Can't get you out of my head.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan's 1988 hit single Especially for You has finally passed the million sales mark in the UK 26 years after it was first released. In fact, the song is the second most successful single of the 1980s by a female singer. The Power of Love by Jennifer Rush is first. Kylie is just one of a handful of female artists who have achieved the very rare feat of two million selling singles in the UK, the others being Celine Dion, Adele, Lady Gaga and Rihanna.

The female artists who have achieved one million selling single in the UK include Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Cher, Whitney Houston and Jennifer Rush.

In that case you can include Kirsty Maccoll because Fairytale Of New York is also a million seller. Also Donna Summer, Julie Covington, Natalie Imbruglia and Irene Cara.

Jason Donovan finally has a million selling single. :D Is he the first Australian male singer to achieve this?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    It's not really just Kylie though is it? that was a duet...so technically she hasn't achieved that rare feat yet.

Yes, Olivia Newton-John has 2 million-selling singles, both with John Travolta.

I'm sure there are others.
  • floogfloog Posts: 981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    In that case you can include Kirsty Maccoll because Fairytale Of New York is also a million seller. Also Donna Summer, Julie Covington, Natalie Imbruglia and Irene Cara.

Jason Donovan finally has a million selling single. :DIs he the first Australian male singer to achieve this?

No, I think Rolf Harris Two Little Boys beat him to it but I think Jason Donovan is the first Australian male who appeared in Neighbours to have a million seller.
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floog wrote: »
    No, I think Rolf Harris Two Little Boys beat him to it but I think Jason Donovan is the first Australian male who appeared in Neighbours to have a million seller.

No, TLB hasn't sold a million. And I doubt it ever will, knowing what we now know about Rolf Harris.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    Jason Donovan finally has a million selling single. :D Is he the first Australian male singer to achieve this?

Frank Ifield had a million seller with "I Remember You", though he was UK born to Australian parents..
  • JakeXYJakeXY Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I wonder if I Should Be So Lucky will surpass a million sales at some point. Its sales are around the 755k mark at the moment. I guess it might take a while yet, lol. A third million seller would be great.
  • BeatsDuJourBeatsDuJour Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    JakeXY wrote: »
    I wonder if I Should Be So Lucky will surpass a million sales at some point. Its sales are around the 755k mark at the moment. I guess it might take a while yet, lol. A third million seller would be great.

Three would be cool, but I'm happy with two, it's certainly better than having none.
  • Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three would be cool, but I'm happy with two, it's certainly better than having none.

Wonder if Kylie will ever be lucky enough to have a single sell 10 million like Madonna's Hung Up did?

Although Kylie would find that hard as outside the UK she is an unknown.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unknown ? Is that comment for real ?
  • BadRomanceBadRomance Posts: 8,719
    Forum Member
    Wonder if Kylie will ever be lucky enough to have a single sell 10 million like Madonna's Hung Up did?

???????
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unknown ? Is that comment for real ?

They are just trolling the only market she failed to ever really crack is North America even though she has ceetificates stateside.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Into The Groove, Like A Virgin and Crazy For You probably would have been million sellers for Madonna as they aren't far off it. What I think stalled them was the runaway success of The Immaculate Collection. It sold so much no one needed to buy, or as we are now download, the singles.

Anyway great news for Kylie!
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member

Do you have absolutely any idea what you are taking about?

I'm not even sure why i'm asking as the answer is clearly NO ^_^
  • JakeXYJakeXY Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I'm not trolling (I hate that word), but I'm surprised that a Madonna single has never sold a million copies in the UK. Into the Groove is her highest seller with sales of 870,000. I always assumed that either Vogue or Like a Prayer sold over a million copies but neither came close. Madonna selling the most singles in the UK by a female artist makes the lack of a million-selling single all the more surprising. I don't think ABBA had one until downloads pushed the sales of Dancing Queen up. Maybe downloads will push Into the Groove over the million mark one day.
  • Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JakeXY wrote: »
    I'm not trolling (I hate that word), but I'm surprised that a Madonna single has never sold a million copies in the UK. Into the Groove is her highest seller with sales of 870,000. I always assumed that either Vogue or Like a Prayer sold over a million copies but neither came close. Madonna selling the most singles in the UK by a female artist makes the lack of a million-selling single all the more surprising. I don't think ABBA had one until downloads pushed the sales of Dancing Queen up. Maybe downloads will push Into the Groove over the million mark one day.
    Its like I said above though. The runaway success of incredible sales that The Immaculate Collection has had stopped a lot of future sales of those songs because people already had them. Had that not of been released Madonna may have had several million sellers here, including Vogue which was still fresh when TLC was released.

The fact The Immaculate Collection is only 400k shy of 4 million UK sales cannot be overlooked.
  • Ellie_ArbuckleEllie_Arbuckle Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its like I said above though. The runaway success of incredible sales that The Immaculate Collection has had stopped a lot of future sales of those songs because people already had them. Had that not of been released Madonna may have had several million sellers here, including Vogue which was still fresh when TLC was released.

The fact The Immaculate Collection is only 400k shy of 4 million UK sales cannot be overlooked.

Fantastic post that sums up exactly why Madonna hasn't had a million seller in the UK. 4 million sold copies of an album is the stuff many artists, including Kylie, can only dream of.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't make things up. The only market that she has failed to sustain success is in North America and even then she isn't unknown there.

What's with all these trolls all of a sudden?
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member

I'm sure she'll reach 4 million eventually. It's one of those album which sell dribs and drabs. I think it's £3 in Sainsburys at the moment, so I wouldn't be suprised if it charts in the lower top 75 in the coming weeks. :D
  • SpaceCakeSpaceCake Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Fantastic post that sums up exactly why Madonna hasn't had a million seller in the UK. 4 million sold copies of an album is the stuff many artists, including Kylie, can only dream of.

To be fair, Kylie was the first female artist to sell over two million copies of an album in the U.K. Her debut album is still the highest selling studio album of the 1980s by a female artist. None of Madonna's studio albums have sold over two million copies in the U.K. The Immaculate Collection has done incredibly well, but there's no need to pretend like Madonna is the only singer who's sold a large amount of copies of an album in the U.K.
    Forum Member

Kylie's Greatest Hits went platinum in the early 1990s and Ultimate Kylie has sold over a million copies in the UK to date, but they didn't stop the sales of Especially for You. ABBA Gold has sold over five million copies, but Dancing Queen's sales still climbed until it hit a million copies in the UK a few years ago.

Did you get bored of your Hit Em Up Style account? :)

I must have imagined Can't Get You Out of My Head being named the most successful single worldwide of 2001 after topping the charts in nearly every country it entered (40) and selling over five million copies worldwide. Kylie's sold over 70 million records worldwide, not bad for someone who isn't known outside of the UK.

I guess Kylie doesn't know what it feels like to sell ten million copies of a single worldwide just like Madonna doesn't know what it feels like to sell a million copies of a single in the UK. They both fall short in some areas. :)
    Forum Member

Why hasn't Hung Up sold a million copies? It wasn't on The Immaculate Collection or GHV2, it wasn't on a greatest hits collection until 2009. Its sales stalled at around 600k.
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Why hasn't Hung Up sold a million copies? It wasn't on The Immaculate Collection or GHV2, it wasn't on a greatest hits collection until 2009. Its sales stalled at around 600k.

Hung Up was released in 2005 when singles sales are abysmal. In fact when it sold over 100k in its first week it was the equivalent of when Bleeding Love sold 216k in its first week - its just singles sales had improved by 2007 because downloads were on the increase.

If Hung Up was available to buy on iTunes for 59p that might help sell the song - maybe songs tend to do well when the price is reduced to 59p.

Then again, who would likely buy Hung Up today? All the fans already have the song either on single or on Confessions.

It's like Into The Groove in 1985 stalled around 800k but that, I'm guessing, was because the record label deleted the single so that they could release another single just two months after ITG first entered the charts.