Slightly embarassing problem.......

KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey, hope someone can help with this....

The other morning I woke up with a slightly painful sensation a few centimetres below the top of my bottom, and when I put my finger to the source of pain, it felt slightly wet. (Note, it's also a good few centimetres up from my 'exit portal'). When I got home that afternoon I managed to get a good look in the mirror, and about a centimetre out from where the cheeks meet there's a red welt, about the size of a 10p piece (i's slightly bigger on one side than the other, but there's definitely a marking on each side). It's also quite sensitive to touch, and depending on how I sit it can feel quite painful.

The thing is, I change my underwear everyday, I've being using the same type of shower gel, deodorant, and washing powder for months, and I've never had any food allergies, so I really don't think it's an allergic reaction. The problem is, if it's not an allergic reaction, then there's a lot of (very worrying) things it could be! Also, the fact that it appeared out of nowhere has me slightly freaked out. I've done some research, and it sounds like a symtpon f celiac disease, although I don't have any other symptons of that. It's also definitely not hives - I've had hives before and they were raise bumps; this is a flatter marking.

At the moment I'm aplying Savlon and plasters to the area in the hope that it's just a skin complaint. If anyone out there has encountered something that sounds similar i'd really apprecite the input (good or bad)! If it hasn't cleared up within a week I'll probably go and ask the doctor about it, but for now if anyone has any thoughts (even if it's to tell me to catch myself on and stop being so silly) about it then i'd love to hear them

By the way, in case it's relevant, I'm a 27yr old male.

Comments

• *Sunshine**Sunshine* Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Hmmmmm if I've read that right, you have a sore above your bottom.

Kind of at the top of where your 'cheeks' are?

If that is the case then it's not weird! And with this hot weather I can understand the area being agitated more!

Have you tried sudocrem?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I might be way off, but could it be something like a bed sore? Something along those lines?

x
  • sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    Sore bits in the region of your exit portal are never good.

Good hygiene (gentle non-perfumed soaps) with thorough drying and a bit of sudocrem.

If that doesn't work, see the doctor.
  • KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be the early stages of a boil. Is it hard to the touch? If you catch it early enough it can be helped by applying Germoline or similar a few times a day and if you have any tea tree oil it can help too.*

*I'm no medical lady, just from personal experience.
  • KnowAll27KnowAll27 Posts: 2,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice so far guys....

*Sunshine* wrote: »
    Hmmmmm if I've read that right, you have a sore above your bottom.

Kind of at the top of where your 'cheeks' are?

If that is the case then it's not weird! And with this hot weather I can understand the area being agitated more!

Have you tried sudocrem?

I know, and common sense agrees with you on this, but i've never once had any sort of heat sore before. Today's really been the first nice day we've had where i live too - rain every day until now. Also, regardless of weather, my house is quite cold so it's not like i'm spending a lot of time in overly hot/humid conditions.
    Jessica-r wrote: »
    I might be way off, but could it be something like a bed sore? Something along those lines?

x

Good idea, but can't see how. Not bed/chair bound; quite the opposite in fact! I'm usally only in bed from about 12 to about 7(obviously tonight's a lot later), and i'm a restless, tossy-turny sleeper (plus I tend to sleep on my stomach)
    KFA wrote: »
    It could be the early stages of a boil. Is it hard to the touch? If you catch it early enough it can be helped by applying Germoline or similar a few times a day and if you have any tea tree oil it can help too.*

*I'm no medical lady, just from personal experience.

No, the skin's quite soft. it actually feels as though if i rubbed it hard enough I'd take the top layer off totally.

I will try sudocrem or germolene or equivalent in the next few days though if savlon doesn't appear to help any.

Thanks again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My hubby had something like this - it turned out it was an ulcer-type thing, and he had to have a minor surgical procedure to correct it. The doc reckoned it was an ingrown hair. Best have it seen to ASAP - because of the area it's in, the skin can break down very quickly, and even with scrupulous hygiene, the conditions are ideal for bacterial growth - warm and moist. An antibiotic may clear it up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be worth going to the doc because it could be fungal and will need a cream or ointment to get it sorted.

Go to the doctor! He'll have seen it before!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Could possibly be a blocked hair folicle.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think its a pineal something or other - they are quite common. Its basically an ingrown hair that gets infected. You need to go to the doctors - they are not nice and Ive heard they can grow round your spinal cord or something.

My husband had one about 10 years ago, it was horrible. It was in the same place you describe, at the top of his butt crack and was about the same size - 10p piece, but it got really infected and smelt minging. He had to go to hospital and they cleaned it out and it went really deep, and he had to pack it every day with dressing.

He is out right no but i will ask what its called when he gets back.
  • sybilvimessybilvimes Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like an ulcer of some kind. The ingrowing hair in that area usually only has a tiny exit hole on the skin that leaks pus. The hair causes an abcess, pilonida sinus, deep under the skin and needs surgery.

See doc asap.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it could be an Abcess. Best to see the doc who might give you some anti biotics.
  • PrestoPresto Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    Sounds like it could be a Pilonidal Sinus - an ingrowing hair.

Get it checked out by a doctor, as if it is that it won't go away on it's own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Agree with the possibility of Pilonidal sinus - go to docs. Can be very nasty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be chafing from your underwear, especially if you wear a thong. A fungal infection if it is in the crack of your butt area or any number of things. I would get it checked out as no one here can tell you what it is without seeing it. If yo have an abcess forming the the sooner you get it looked at the better. I have had boils in this area that have been very painful
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    alimcc wrote: »
    Could be chafing from your underwear, especially if you wear a thong. A fungal infection if it is in the crack of your butt area or any number of things. I would get it checked out as no one here can tell you what it is without seeing it. If yo have an abcess forming the the sooner you get it looked at the better. I have had boils in this area that have been very painful

the OP is male, unless he's into that sort of thing:eek::D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the OP is male, unless he's into that sort of thing:eek::D

LOL I hadnt clocked that :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    ThePhenom wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be an Abcess. Best to see the doc who might give you some anti biotics.
    Presto wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be a Pilonidal Sinus - an ingrowing hair.

Get it checked out by a doctor, as if it is that it won't go away on it's own.

I agree, have had these myself, the sooner treated the better, please go to a doctor :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a heat rash, caused by hot weather
  • The screamThe scream Posts: 2,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree too, it could be, go see the doc as soon as you can, if it is that you'll want to get some antibiotics such as Flucloxacillin as soon as you can or you might find your self in some pain, the sooner the better really. Good luck
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I just wanted to add to what I meant to put earlier, please don't be put off to see the Doc, they have see MUCH worse before, and if it is a pilonidal sinus it nothing to do with not being clean or anything like that so don't worry
  • dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the same in 1986. I had chicken pox at the time and assumed it was connected, but it wasn't. It was a small bunch of hair's that had grown in (yuk!), and caused a boil like thing there that leaked puss in a not very nice way at all! See the doc KnowAll27, but don't worry too much, mine cleared up fine. (p.s. I actually pulled the hairs out of it one day!). :-/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o
    dashyork42 wrote: »
    I had the same in 1986. I had chicken pox at the time and assumed it was connected, but it wasn't. It was a small bunch of hair's that had grown in (yuk!), and caused a boil like thing there that leaked puss in a not very nice way at all! See the doc KnowAll27, but don't worry too much, mine cleared up fine. (p.s. I actually pulled the hairs out of it one day!). :-/

Lol you mad head, did that work for you then?
    Just asking as in many cases no hairs are noticable.
    I am really interested in this for both personal and educational matters.
    I have had this prob mysen, but was thinking of trying to research it more as I would like to study this for my own reseach degree.
    So if anyone wants to help or just to chat even, feel free. Its nice to know it happens to other folk, without that sounding evil, if ya know what I mean