Options

o2 Broadband

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there,

I'm thinking of switching from Orange broadband to O2 and just wanted to know people's experiences with o2 and their service etc. Would you recommend 02?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can honestly say O2 have given me the best service, both with the broadband itself - and CS.
    You might have been better posting in the Internet forum though!
    It'll probably end up being moved anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Appleseed wrote: »
    I can honestly say O2 have given me the best service, both with the broadband itself - and CS.
    You might have been better posting in the Internet forum though!
    It'll probably end up being moved anyway.

Yes really must agree with Appleseed, best service I have ever experienced.
  • Options
    RyanC1992RyanC1992 Posts: 651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could not recommend o2 broadband enough!
    We used to have Sky, and that constantly disconnected, and required the router to be reset constantly. We also had speeds at about 1 meg.

With o2 broadband, we now surf at 3 meg, and the router does not require to be rebooted.

Best move we ever made :D
  • Options
    ItalianbeautyItalianbeauty Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another happy O2 customer!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And another. Quickest setup time, best notifications about stuff, discount if you're an O2 mobile customer too. I love them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with everything the other posters have said! brilliant broadband provider!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are with O2 used to be with Orange had problems with them at least when you phone 02 they can understand you unlike Orange when you had to speak to someone in India !

02 are the best!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worth adding though that there's not much point going to o2 unless they are an LLU provider from your exchange. The Samknows site will tell you if you're not sure.

All fully explained over in the Broadband Internet forum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all your replies.....it pretty much confirms what I've heard before about 02's service.
    One more thing.....is it easy to set up yourself? Or do they offer an engineer service?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2 months free BB at present. Offer ends tomorrow (Monday)!

Yes easy to set up with the CD, supplied wireless router, filter and leads. Keep the box they come in.

Setting the encryption to WPK and the Administrator PW fairly easy; users here will be happy to help once you are ready for those.

Do check that LLU situation though.
  • Options
    rickead2000rickead2000 Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laska wrote: »
    Thank you for all your replies.....it pretty much confirms what I've heard before about 02's service.
    One more thing.....is it easy to set up yourself? Or do they offer an engineer service?

All you need to do is plug the box into the wall and follow the instructions they send on the letter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »
    2 months free BB at present. Offer ends tomorrow (Monday)!

Yes easy to set up with the CD, supplied wireless router, filter and leads. Keep the box they come in.

Setting the encryption to WPK and the Administrator PW fairly easy; users here will be happy to help once you are ready for those.

Do check that LLU situation though.
    All you need to do is plug the box into the wall and follow the instructions they send on the letter.

Ok....got it....thank you for enlightening me!
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I have just signed up for O2 broadband and i was actually gonna ask is it was easy to set up wireless broadband as never done it before.
  • Options
    WhovianWhovian Posts: 852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another happy O2 Broadband customer here. As others have said - all round good service.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really understand all this LLU stuff.....but all I can say is that I was an AOHell customer for about 8 years and their service became really poor !

I asked on here and got some feedback from O2 customers. I decided to change to O2 about 6 weeks ago. I took out their basic 8meg package....got the first two months free....then about £12 per month.

The O2 setup was really easy and thus far I've not had reason to call the customer helpline....hopefully I never will ! In fact they sent emails and texts whilst they were getting things sorted out to let me know how things were going. I still have some connection problems from time to time....think that's more to do with my PC, as when I switch on the router/modem I get a message saying something about limited connectivity...but I still manage to get online

All I can say about O2 is that, thus far they've been very good. And after the problems I had with AOHell I wish I'd made the move months....sorry years ago !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cuk wrote: »
    I don't really understand all this LLU stuff.....but all I can say is that I was an AOHell customer for about 8 years and their service became really poor !

I asked on here and got some feedback from O2 customers. I decided to change to O2 about 6 weeks ago. I took out their basic 8meg package....got the first two months free....then about £12 per month.

The O2 setup was really easy and thus far I've not had reason to call the customer helpline....hopefully I never will ! In fact they sent emails and texts whilst they were getting things sorted out to let me know how things were going. I still have some connection problems from time to time....think that's more to do with my PC, as when I switch on the router/modem I get a message saying something about limited connectivity...but I still manage to get online

All I can say about O2 is that, thus far they've been very good. And after the problems I had with AOHell I wish I'd made the move months....sorry years ago !!

Yes that probably more to do with the pc?
    and you're not really supposed to keep switching the router/modem on and off all the time... if you just leave it on, it gets a much more stable connection.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    O2 LLU = Excellent.

O2 Access (non-LLU) = Patchy depending on where you live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Superb o2 service fast,reliable,good all round
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have heard it is excellent.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Mind you their web site is a disaster area. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Mind you their web site is a disaster area. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Moving from Be to o2 to save money, I was shocked to see how the o2 site was a triumph of corporate glossy blue over sensible paths and static menus.

Tried to buy a contract Simplicity SIM online, and the site insisted that I had chosen a phone. I gave up on web ordering and did it by phone. "oh all sorts of problems with our web site" said the customer assistant.

The Be site was clearly designed by people who handle and live Broadband every day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    O2 LLU = Excellent.

O2 Access (non-LLU) = Patchy depending on where you live.
    It's still worth having even if you aren't connected to an unbundled exchange. I live out in the sticks (non LLU) and my connection is stable at 6.9Mbits. OK, you pay a bit more for the service but i've already saved money by not having to call Tiscali on an 0871 number at 10p/min - very regularly.
    I pay £17.50/month, but have to top up an O2 PAYT sim by £10 every 3 months to get it at that price, so it's works out the i'm paying £20.83/month, but for a faultless service it's well worth it. Of course, if you already have an O2 PAYT or contract phone, you'll get the discount anyway.
    As someone has said, 2 free months are being offered at mo, or order via quidco and get some cashback so that makes things even cheaper!
  • Options
    orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am with O2. I live half a mile from the exchange. O2's initial checks said my line is capable of 8Mb. I get maximun 1.5Mb. Initially, I was getting 0.5Mb. Took a lot of going round in circles between O2 and BT both saying it was each others fault, but eventually I had an engineer replace the master socket. Still can't get it above 1.5Mb.

As for customer service, well I don't think they're any better than anybody else. A couple of months ago, O2 had a major email server failure. It took 3 days before it was allegedly fixed, but even then I still couldn't access my emails. Repeatedly phoned O2 to be fobbed off with "yes its still being looked at - we've raised a case". After a week without email, I was told that the case hadn't actually been raised at all! It was a total of 8 days before my email worked again- and I lost all the emails that had been sat waiting to be delivered. No apology or notification it was working again.

Don't get too smitten with O2 because theyve showed me that when things go wrong, they really aren't much better than the rest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orchover wrote: »
    I am with O2. I live half a mile from the exchange. O2's initial checks said my line is capable of 8Mb. I get maximun 1.5Mb. Initially, I was getting 0.5Mb. Took a lot of going round in circles between O2 and BT both saying it was each others fault, but eventually I had an engineer replace the master socket. Still can't get it above 1.5Mb.

As for customer service, well I don't think they're any better than anybody else. A couple of months ago, O2 had a major email server failure. It took 3 days before it was allegedly fixed, but even then I still couldn't access my emails. Repeatedly phoned O2 to be fobbed off with "yes its still being looked at - we've raised a case". After a week without email, I was told that the case hadn't actually been raised at all! It was a total of 8 days before my email worked again- and I lost all the emails that had been sat waiting to be delivered. No apology or notification it was working again.

Don't get too smitten with O2 because theyve showed me that when things go wrong, they really aren't much better than the rest.

They have a freefone number, they answer the phone within 2-3 mins (on the 2 occasions I have had to call) and they are UK based. They are therefore better than my last providers on a CS basis & the quality of service is fast and reliable as well. Yes, the mail server was down a while ago but I was able to access it the following day and didn't lose anything (well, mail sent to me while the server was down came through so I assume I didn't)
    I'm further away from my exchange than you are yours, so it might be worth having a look at your internal set up, ie, quality and routing of cabling etc.
  • Options
    orchoverorchover Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the mail server was down a while ago but I was able to access it the following day and didn't lose anything

Lucky you. Wish that my experience had been the same. I had about 15 emails that would continually try to download, only to be met with a "Server error: cannot access disk file" message in outlook for each one. On O2 webmail, I was presented with blank emails with no subject or sender.

I'm further away from my exchange than you are yours, so it might be worth having a look at your internal set up, ie, quality and routing of cabling etc.

Like I said, the engineer came round and checked, found a fault with the master socket, and replaced it. My master socket is about 2ft away from the point at which my line enters my property. His tests also confirmed that I should be getting higher speeds. He tried everything to get the speed up, including adjusting the noise on the line, running with the extensions disconnected to confirm they weren't causing a problem, and replacing the cable and filter with spare ones but it made no difference. I was moved multiple times onto different connections at the exchange but again it made no difference. I can therefore only assume that O2 is oversubscribed in my area.