Roll your own tobacco

Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So since starting university I've noticed alot of French students, seem to roll their own cigarettes. So at the risk of sound like LostPigeon.

Why don't more people roll their own tobacco? Are they "healthier"* than regular ones? Are they as addictive? Or do people just prefer to buy the packet as its less time consuming?

(Does your lover roll their own? :p)

* I know there would still be the effect on the lungs from the smoke, but surely being less chemicals in it, its slightly a better option.

Its just been playing on my mind, so I thought I'd ask the good people of DS so no-one I know thinks I'm going to start.

Comments

• mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I smoke rollies, dont even really like the taste of tailormades, taste all of saltpetre and give you a gash taste in your mouth plus cuz im a scatterbrain i put smokes down and forget about them and tailormdes burn down to the end, plus rollups are better for spliffbuilding equipment. Plus it's cheaper.

I dont think it's particularly better for you, espescially seeing as I dont use filters, but it does give you an indicator of how dextrous and therefore drunk you are by the quality of your rolly. If you roll something tht looks like a wizard's sleeve, it's time to go to bed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    Most people I know do roll their own, it's much cheaper especially if you've got a good bootleg supplier.
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    I began rolling my own because it was cheaper and now I can't smoke the others, they taste of chemicals and nothing else. I use filter tips also. I find it quite relaxing too, rolling one before I smoke it.

I suppose both kinds can be bad for you, but Golden Virginia tastes so much nicer!
  • JOEVILLEJOEVILLE Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been smoking roll-ups for years, I live in Holland and it's pretty normal here and it's cheaper.

As for it being a healthier option, I've convinced myself that it is, and I use filters as well, I suppose as you have to roll them first you tend to smoke less as well, you have more time to think about if you really need one.
    Forum Member
    mathertron wrote: »
    I dont think it's particularly better for you, espescially seeing as I dont use filters, but it does give you an indicator of how dextrous and therefore drunk you are by the quality of your rolly. If you roll something tht looks like a wizard's sleeve, it's time to go to bed.

PMSL! Have a green blob!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ROKEN IST DODELIJK! :D:p
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People find it a hassle to learn, I think. Takes a lot of practice before they stop looking like trumpets. Personally I don't like straight ciggies except when there's no alternative; far too much smoke is produced and they last too long. The only downside to rollies once you've learned how to do them is that you get through one hell of a lot of lighters.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,632
    Forum Member
    I have tried and tried and tried to learn to roll my own but can never do it. I have practiced so much and I still can't stop them being loose or trumpet shaped.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't realise it would be so difficult to roll them, I guess I've just seen people that can do them well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I have tried and tried and tried to learn to roll my own but can never do it. I have practiced so much and I still can't stop them being loose or trumpet shaped.

Filters cut down on the trumpety bits, or you could try getting a rolling machine.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you tried a rolling machine? You can get them from pound shops and supermarkets.
    I roll my own, it saves me about £30 a week. If I smoke a normal ciggie now, I don't feel like I've had one.
    Forum Member
    I have to use a rolling machine when my hands are bad and can't grip things. They're really easy to use and only cost about a fiver.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a rolling machine :D
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You need one of these! http://www.starsmokes.com/rizla-premier-metal-cigarette-rolling-machine-96-p.asp
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I heard that loose tobacco is more "pure" than tobacco in cigarettes. Is this true

I don't smoke but I have tried both, and roll up tobacco tastes very different to me.
  • Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and do people have silver cases for their cigarettes? I love in old films when they bring out the case and offer cigarettes. Might take it up just to have a nice case! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Was it Drum that was eventually sold in the UK as it was the number 1 'smuggled' tobacco.

Drum and Golden Virginia are the two main ones sold on the black-market, Drum - really cheap, GV for those who prefer a more moist tobacco.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep meaning to convert to 'american spirit' organic tobacco cuz i figure as everyone knows smoking is carcinogenic anyway they probably put all sorts of horrible shit in their ferts. Too lazy though :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people I know do roll their own, it's much cheaper especially if you've got a good bootleg supplier.

I have. £7 for 50g GV. I also buy my papers and filters off Ebay. Saves me a fortune.

Lots of those in the pub are on rollies.

I don't use a machine.

I don't think it's any healthier smoking rollies but I do smoke less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard that loose tobacco is more "pure" than tobacco in cigarettes. Is this true

AFAIK, rolling tobacco doesn't have a chemical in it that keeps it burning like straight ciggies do. So on a scale of one to ten of bad-for-you, rollies are at ten and straighties are 11.
    woodbush wrote: »
    I have. £7 for 50g GV. I also buy my papers and filters off Ebay. Saves me a fortune.
    [...]

Papers and filters are dirt cheap in Poundland too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    woodbush wrote: »

Lots of those in the pub are on rollies.

Wasn't that many years back when black-market GV was selling for half that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and do people have silver cases for their cigarettes? I love in old films when they bring out the case and offer cigarettes. Might take it up just to have a nice case! :p

I have an old Wills Flake tin bought in NYMR shop at Grossmont.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy bootleg tobacco as I have no problem paying taxes- its a shame a lot of greedy businessmen don't feel the same. :mad:

Love my Cutters Choice roll-ups, nice little filter and a lot cheaper. Also easier to put out and less of a fire risk :)
  • randomelementrandomelement Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    mathertron wrote: »
    ROKEN IST DODELIJK! :D:p

Or Roken Kamer, you don't see any of those in the UK anymore!!