Options

Widescreen?

SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
Forum Member
Received my V+HD box yesterday and I've noticed that whereas my old box showed all channels in widescreen, the V+HD (Samsung) does not? Some channels are not in widescreen and the menus aren't either. It looks a bit daft to be honest. My TV is set up correctly and on the V+HD box I can only select 720p HDMI as a HD option! Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    That's because it's set up correctly. :D Some channels aren't in widescreen and you are viewing them in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio with black bars on the sides. If you were to display these channels as widescreen you are stretching the picture so everything is disproportionate horizontally.

For some reason the menus are in 4:3 too which I admit I find a little silly.

On the V+HD you should be able to choose 720, 1080, 720 wide and 1080 wide by scrolling with the left and right buttons in the set-up menu.

If you really want everything stretched to 16:9 toggle through to "1080 wide" or "720 wide". This will also make the menus widescreen.

I have ours set to 1080 (not wide) as this keeps the aspect ratio correct on our widescreen TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Adam792 wrote: »
    That's because it's set up correctly. :D Some channels aren't in widescreen and you are viewing them in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio with black bars on the sides. If you were to display these channels as widescreen you are stretching the picture so everything is disproportionate horizontally.

For some reason the menus are in 4:3 too which I admit I find a little silly.

On the V+HD you should be able to choose 720, 1080, 720 wide and 1080 wide by scrolling with the left and right buttons in the set-up menu.

If you really want everything stretched to 16:9 toggle through to "1080 wide" or "720 wide". This will also make the menus widescreen.

I have ours set to 1080 (not wide) as this keeps the aspect ratio correct on our widescreen TV.

To be honest I prefer the screen stretched over having thick black bars either side, it was barely noticeable that is was stretched anyway. There is certainly no option for 720/1080 Wide on my box. :confused:
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    Are you using HDMI?

Why have you gone HD if you want to distort the picture? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ozsat wrote: »
    Are you using HDMI?

Why have you gone HD if you want to distort the picture? :confused:

The TV is HD so I may as well make use of the fact that the V+HD is HD too. Chances are I won't watch the HD content because I couldn't care less about HD, I just want the recording function.. The channels that I've seen in 4:3 aren't HD anyway, but surely an upscaled stretched SD picture would still be better than stretched SD picture, which was never an issue before. :confused:
  • Options
    Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    Well there definitely should be "Wide" options as we've had both the SA and Samsung V+HD boxes and both have this option. As ozsat has said, are you using HDMI?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well there definitely should be "Wide" options as we've had both the SA and Samsung V+HD boxes and both have this option. As ozsat has said, are you using HDMI?

How very odd! The 720 Wide and 1080 Wide options were not there last night, but are now! Maybe the box downloaded an update over night? :confused:
  • Options
    Caffe LatteCaffe Latte Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »
    How very odd! The 720 Wide and 1080 Wide options were not there last night, but are now! Maybe the box downloaded an update over night? :confused:

ha ha.. they will have been there, you just didn't see them :)

Is it how you want it now? Don't forget though, if a HD channel shows a programme in 4:3 it will be shown in 4:3, all your SD channels will be stretched now if they are in 4:3 ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ha ha.. they will have been there, you just didn't see them :)

Is it how you want it now? Don't forget though, if a HD channel shows a programme in 4:3 it will be shown in 4:3, all your SD channels will be stretched now if they are in 4:3 ;)

Honest to god they were not there. I spent about 20 seconds constantly scrolling (720p, 1080p, 720p, 1080p, 720p.. you get the idea) trying to think where they might be!

All of my SD channels were stretched anyway on the V Box and it was never an issue. Picture quality means little to me and I'd sooner the picture filled the screen than half of the screen.
  • Options
    Caffe LatteCaffe Latte Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »
    Honest to god they were not there. I spent about 20 seconds constantly scrolling (720p, 1080p, 720p, 1080p, 720p.. you get the idea) trying to think where they might be!

All of my SD channels were stretched anyway on the V Box and it was never an issue. Picture quality means little to me and I'd sooner the picture filled the screen than half of the screen.

well it's your tv, so watch it the way you want to :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will! Thank you all for your help :D
  • Options
    56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have mine set to 1080 wide because the narrow banner and TV guide annoy me and being older my eyesight is not what it was. If the programme is in 4:3 I can easily change the aspect ratio on the TV. However, I prefer to use 14:9 for these programmes which keeps the proportions correct, gives a larger central image and narrower black side bars at the cost of losing some of the image top and bottom.