Things you don't understand

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
Forum Member
I was talking to my friend (she's a foreign exchange student) and she was asking me what Boxing day is about, and me and the rest of our friends had no idea!

What sort of traditions do you just not understand? Maybe someone here can explain it to us!

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KatGal wrote: »
    What sort of traditions do you just not understand?

Cheese rolling.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Men who still have mullets and men who wear thongs on the beach.
  • charmingbillycharmingbilly Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was talking to my friend (she's a foreign exchange student) and she was asking me what Boxing day is about, and me and the rest of our friends had no idea!

What sort of traditions do you just not understand? Maybe someone here can explain it to us!
    Boxing Day is so called because on this day it was the customary for tradesmen to collect their Christmas boxes or gifts in return for good service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    Boxing Day is so called because on this day it was the customary for tradesmen to collect their Christmas boxes or gifts in return for good service.

That's good to know! We assumed it had something to do with boxing matches lol.
  • Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why if physics dictates that things become more solid as they get colder, why my nose runs when its cold.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member

That looks really dangerous! Wouldn't want to try it out!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 397
    Forum Member

It's usually the day when all the petty arguments and frighting starts...when people spend Christmas with their family.

In olden times, people resolves these disputes with fisty cuffs...hence boxing day ;)
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boxing day comes from the days when 75% of the working population in this country were in service. They would have to work on Christmas day so were given the following day as paid holiday, and the masters of the house would give them a 'Christmas box' - usually some extra money.

This also explains the tradition of eating Christmas day leftovers on Boxing day - after all, the Lord and Lady couldn't be expected to stoop so low as to cook anything for themselves.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    That's good to know! We assumed it had something to do with boxing matches lol.

I always used to think that too.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxing day is the day where everybody uses google to find out interesting facts. The term relates to thinking "outside the box" which was first coined by Steve Jobs in 1982.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Modular Forms.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electricity. 'Tis the devil's work, I reckon.
  • MinjuryMinjury Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    The popularity of the X Factor
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Boxing Day is traditionally the day after

families who do not get on together for the whole year,

and deliberate live many miles away,

are all gathered into a confined space

add alchohol, kids, Tv , games, and a long long overfed day........years of hidden resentment.....and..

hey presto.....

by the day after everyone is ......

Boxing :o;)
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Percentages. :(
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    Women
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Accountancy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Cricket.

Just can't understand it.

You'll hear on the news - England are two hundred and fifteen for forty two in the second over - and they've declared.

What the fcuk does that all mean ?

Who's winning ?

How can you tell which side is which when they are both wearing white ?

And why does it take 5 days to play a match that still ends in a draw ?
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abject hostility towards babies and children.
  • LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pi
    π is an irrational number, which means that its value cannot be expressed exactly as a fraction m/n, where m and n are integers. Consequently, its decimal representation never ends or repeats. It is also a transcendental number, which implies, among other things, that no finite sequence of algebraic operations on integers (powers, roots, sums, etc.) can be equal to its value

They lost me after irrational.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LisaB599 wrote: »
    They lost me after irrational.

Don't worry it's under control
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why if physics dictates that things become more solid as they get colder, why my nose runs when its cold.
    It's all to do with temperature changes. The water vapour present in the cold air you breath in, condenses in the warmer nose environment and mixes with your nose's natural mucas to leave you reaching for the tissues.
  • dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any language but English.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Thundersnow, it hurts my brain... you could call it brain freeze even (ha ha ha aren't I witty :D)
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hajj. Is the danger of being crushed or burned to death part of it?:confused: