Options

Do I upgrade my Iphone for another one or change to another smartphone?

rustybucketrustybucket Posts: 201
Forum Member
I have a 3G, fairly pleased with it but showing its age now.

Im on O2 and could I suppose change to an Iphone 4 but I have heard of some issues.

Some of these other phones look good, so I'm wondering do I jump ship? Anyone else done the same? Any phone recommendations?

If I change brand, how easy would it be to get music/video on itunes onto another brand of smart phone?

Appreciate any advice

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Ive had iphone 3GS since launch date and its startiing to show its age but im going to hold out till the summer when maybe the nwxt iphone gen will be out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I got an iPhone4 on Vodafone two months ago and it's fine, I'd recommend it to anyone. It's a no brainer if you've already got music and video in iTunes (I moved up from an iPod Touch).
  • Options
    LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    I had iPhone 3G on O2, iPhone 3GS on Orange, and this xmas got my iPhone 4 on T-Mobile.

I could never change to another phone now IMO...

But every body has different requirements etc and you have to see what phone suits you best really.
  • Options
    HardstylerHardstyler Posts: 1,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the HTC Desire/HD is so much better than any iPhone... ditch it for a desire, u will be blown away and won't look back..

or if u want something more expensive... get a galaxy tab.. iphones are just over rated and quite out dated now...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardstyler wrote: »
    the HTC Desire/HD is so much better than any iPhone... ditch it for a desire, u will be blown away and won't look back..

or if u want something more expensive... get a galaxy tab.. iphones are just over rated and quite out dated now...

Will he get a free wheel-barrow to carry his galaxy tab? :D

Personally I'd go for iphone 4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I have the iphone 3gs and the contract is now up. I upraded to the bog standard desire as I thought the desire hd was too big.

The desire got sent back with the 14 days as i found the battery life was appalling.

Waiting now until HTC release a phone that has a decent ballery or iphone 5.
  • Options
    chaos77chaos77 Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the iphone4 is certainly very stable yet other smartphones android etc offer more freedom to customize and add apps.
  • Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daznccc wrote: »
    I have the iphone 3gs and the contract is now up. I upraded to the bog standard desire as I thought the desire hd was too big.

The desire got sent back with the 14 days as i found the battery life was appalling.

Waiting now until HTC release a phone that has a decent ballery or iphone 5.

I was wondering if it could have been a dodgy phone as my wife has one and it usually lasts a couple of days with normal use?

Also did you have GPS, WiFi and all the services that update automatically (such as weather etc) turned off or to a longer time as they can use a lot of battery?

I do like the Desire, but would prob go for the Desire HD if my contract was coming up (a year left on mine though). :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering if it could have been a dodgy phone as my wife has one and it usually lasts a couple of days with normal use?

Also did you have GPS, WiFi and all the services that update automatically (such as weather etc) turned off or to a longer time as they can use a lot of battery?

I do like the Desire, but would prob go for the Desire HD if my contract was coming up (a year left on mine though). :(

also did u have the email app to constantly connect and list email?

then will be the reason, it eats battery power..
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    I had the iPhone 3GS since July 2009. Whilst it was my first phone (and first smartphone) for 5 years since having a Nokia 7610, I'm very experience with technology but still wanted something fairly simple. Unfortunately after having it for 18 months I've just got bored of it, bored of the limitations that Apple enforce etc. The iPhone in my experience has no real differences, costs a lot more than any equivalent phones and has nothing but trouble as far as signal is concerned. I instead went for a HTC Desire and it's brilliant, I won't be going back. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had an iPhone 3G then got a HTC Desire HD. Haven't looked back.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have used an HTC Desire and an iPhone 4 and prefer the iPhone.

The Desire had a worse battery life and he found the phone to get really hot, much more than the iPhone 4, and the user friendliness of android doesn't match iOS. For example the iPhone does a backup everytime you sync it with iTunes. Also the games for iOS are far better.

However I would advise you to decide for yourself, try both phones if you can and choose your favourite. If I were to go for a Android phone I would probably get the Nexus S as it will get OS updates far faster.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    If I change brand, how easy would it be to get music/video on itunes onto another brand of smart phone?

Not easy, anything downloaded from iTunes will not be movable to another non-Apple device.

Remember, Apple likes to exercise alot of control over their devices with iTunes and a proprietary charger. Doing this helps 'tie' you in to their products.

Personally, I think Apple products in general, but particularly the iPhone are mostly style over substance. Apple do a fantastic marketing job, which is great for them, but leads alot of people into paying a premium for something which I don't consider to be 'premium' device. The uniformity makes the experience smooth and simple, but IMO, it's vastly overpriced for what you get. It's still too much of a toy than a serious device.

If you want to break free, consider having a look at some Android devices. It looks a little different from the very simplistic iOS interface, but it's highly customisable and intuitive. The HTC Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy S are probably the most highly rated devices at the moment.

Then got to Market, gorge on Flash, embrace Swype and unleash the power with Tasker.
  • Options
    chaos77chaos77 Posts: 769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I have used an HTC Desire and an iPhone 4 and prefer the iPhone.

The Desire had a worse battery life and he found the phone to get really hot, much more than the iPhone 4, and the user friendliness of android doesn't match iOS. For example the iPhone does a backup everytime you sync it with iTunes. Also the games for iOS are far better.

However I would advise you to decide for yourself, try both phones if you can and choose your favourite. If I were to go for a Android phone I would probably get the Nexus S as it will get OS updates far faster.

doublewist will sync your droid in a similar manner... i het two days battery on my nexus which is very similar to the desire as i keep my battery conditioned..
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ditched my iPhone 4 for an HTC Desire and have been more than satisfied since! :)
  • Options
    rustybucketrustybucket Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    cheers for your replies.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nickmack wrote: »
    Not easy, anything downloaded from iTunes will not be movable to another non-Apple device.
    Almost the first person to read or answer the question.

However I thought iTunes also sell some DRM free music so that stuff would just copy straight across via the file manager.
    Or I guess doubletwist as mentioned if conversion needed.

Why change though?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    nickmack wrote: »
    Remember, Apple likes to exercise alot of control over their devices with iTunes and a proprietary charger. Doing this helps 'tie' you in to their products.

Personally, I think Apple products in general, but particularly the iPhone are mostly style over substance. Apple do a fantastic marketing job, which is great for them, but leads alot of people into paying a premium for something which I don't consider to be 'premium' device. The uniformity makes the experience smooth and simple, but IMO, it's vastly overpriced for what you get. It's still too much of a toy than a serious device.

Did you cut and paste this from somewhere else?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    KAC wrote: »
    Did you cut and paste this from somewhere else?

No, why?
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 3G, fairly pleased with it but showing its age now.

Im on O2 and could I suppose change to an Iphone 4 but I have heard of some issues.

Some of these other phones look good, so I'm wondering do I jump ship? Anyone else done the same? Any phone recommendations?

Appreciate any advice

So, bit of a mixed bag here. No consensus.

I would add my 2p worth as one of the biggest stumbling blocks for switching from one phone platform to another, is apps. If you've bought apps for the iPhone, you'll be starting again from scratch with an Android based phone. Personally for me, it I decided to switch to Android, I would be giving up many dozens of purchased apps which rather dissuades me from even considering it.

As for videos (MP4) and music (AAC) purchased from iTunes, that's less of an issue because although Android won't sync with your iTunes library directly, the files may be transferred if they're not of the old style Fairplay protected variety.

And as for the so called iPhone 4 "issues", while I don't have one myself (got a 3GS), I know people who do, and they just don't consider it an issue at all. All seems to be rather overblown in a tabloidian fashion.

Good luck.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^This.

If you've got apps for your iPhone and if they're available for Android (not all of them will be) you still won't be able to get the same app again without buying it again because there's no way for the app developer to "transfer" an iPhone version to an Android version.

The questions I'd ask myself:

1. Do I like the iPhone and the way it works?
    2. Do I have a lot of apps, music, movies etc already purchased?
    3. Am I considering changing purely because other people have told me how great Android is?

If you answer yes to all three questions, then you're probably better off just upgrading to the iPhone 4.

I know a bunch of people who have them (about 20 different people including myself), and I've only heard of 1 person complaining about signal (and he's still got the iPhone 4, so it can't be "unusable" can't it? :p)
  • Options
    jswift909jswift909 Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Rock solid advice. I've had a long list of smartphones over the last 8 years, mostly HTC. I've also had the iPhone 3G on O2 for 18 months, then I swapped to an HTC Desire. It is the dogs u-know-whats. I wouldn't even consider wasting money on an iPhone 4, Android is so much better.

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/Brands/HTC/b509.aspx

Got my HTC Desire on T-Mobile, 600 mins, 500 txt, 1gb data for £25pcm and free phone.

Beat that. :D
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I own an HTC Desire, an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4.

The Desire is very very good and customisable, but it lacks the premium, solid feel you get with the iPhone 4.

While the HTC Desire has its annoyances (i.e. a vibrating keypad you can't turn off, very poor speaker-sound quality and a battery life that barely lasts if you're playing games), if you were to upgrade to an HTC Desire, I don't think you'll regret it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pencil wrote: »
    I own an HTC Desire, an iPhone 3GS and an iPhone 4.

The Desire is very very good and customisable, but it lacks the premium, solid feel you get with the iPhone 4.

While the HTC Desire has its annoyances (i.e. a vibrating keypad you can't turn off, very poor speaker-sound quality and a battery life that barely lasts if you're playing games), if you were to upgrade to an HTC Desire, I don't think you'll regret it.

BTW u can turn the vibrating keypad/keyboard off.. in the settings
  • Options
    whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My other half had a htc desire for a month before ditching it for an iPhone 3GS, so whilst it may suit you, some people prefer iPhones and think HTC's are overrated. Horses for courses and all that, after all, we wouldn't want to make blanket statements and pass them off as facts now would we?;)

OP, my dad has a htc and is trying to transfer songs over from iTunes, it's proved really tricky as apple like to lock things down, eventually, after trying several pieces of software, my cousin managed to find something that would do it. It's not straightforward my any means though, so you may wish to bare that in mind. Well at least it doesn't seem it.