Frank Skinner hosts new Room 101

Comments

• sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miranda wanting to put her breasts in Room 101, so inappropriate. Perhaps she'd like to explain it to women who have lost theirs to breast cancer.
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    sunnymeg wrote: »
    Miranda wanting to put her breasts in Room 101, so inappropriate. Perhaps she'd like to explain it to women who have lost theirs to breast cancer.

What a ridiculous comment
  • sunnymegsunnymeg Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it ridiculous? As someone who has had breast cancer I don't find it ridiculous. Miranda's comments about how annoying her breasts are, and how she'd prefer to be without them aren't helpful.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it ridiculous? As someone who has had breast cancer I don't find it ridiculous. Miranda's comments about how annoying her breasts are, and how she'd prefer to be without them aren't helpful.

You're entitled to feel offended but Miranda is also entitled to dislike her breasts.
  • 777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too! I wasn't offended but found her to be totally stupid and thankless that she has healthy breasts.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My opinions of the potential room dwellers were .......... spitting is necessary if you are an athlete or have a very bad cold. Amazing how much phlegm one can produce in a week. All Miranda says is how her breasts are shaped, stupid how people make more of that than they should. Nothing wrong with books, but if you can carry around something light for a journey, what is the issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't stand Skinner. Ever since he gave an interview once about not needing to do something because he had enough money he went downhill from there. He's just not funny or relevent anymore.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frank always makes me laugh. He's a very clever and natural comedian.

What does it mean to be a relevant comedian:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Frank always makes me laugh. He's a very clever and natural comedian.

What does it mean to be a relevant comedian:confused:

To be sarcastic, acidic and generally smug and thinking if you put somone or something down it's funny
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Miranda Hart - She's like Sarah Millican, but funny.

Miranda Hart has never been funny.
    far2cool wrote: »
    Ironically, I'd have Reggie Yates in room 101

Yes, I'd have Miranda Hart in there.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How ridiculous.

So, people aren't allowed to complain about their own weight either because some people die from weight related causes like anorexia or heart disease?

I suppose people aren't allowed breast implants either because it insults people who had their own taken away by cancer?
  • kryskryskryskrys Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's like saying you shouldn't complain about having a bad hair day, in case it offends women with alopecia. Or pregnant women shouldn't complain about having morning sickness, in case it offends women who are infertile.

I just think you're being a bit oversensitive. Women complain all the time about their breasts being too big or too small. It wouldn't have crossed Miranda's mind for one second that she would offend anybody with her comments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    sunnymeg, I agree that Miranda meant no harm but I'm sorry for the lack of sensitivity shown to you by posters on here. I loved the panel this week and would put all their choices into Room 101 (sans "breasts" which was a little silly, nothing more).
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    How ridiculous.

So, people aren't allowed to complain about their own weight either because some people die from weight related causes like anorexia or heart disease?

I suppose people aren't allowed breast implants either because it insults people who had their own taken away by cancer?

Some people are just dying to be offended. Oops, I've offended dead people and those with relatives who have died :(
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I was at the recording for this.

I went mainly to see Frank but it seems we were the only ones as the rest of the Audience seemed to be made up of Miranda fangirls with the occasional one there for Reggie Yates too...

It was a lot funnier in person, the edit seemed to do well to cut out what I had in my head as the funniest moments. (But then we'll see what I make of Extra Storage first I suppose )

Especially as there was a new round this year where they asked an audience member to submit their pet hate into Room 101.
    It seemed to go on for ages but I couldn't actually hear the audience member in question as only those on stage could hear his mic. I believe he submitted something to do with plants or gardening but I couldn't make out.
    Especially frustrating for me as I was sitting 2 rows behind him so I was right in the camera shot as displayed on the big screen.
    If they use it on Monday look out for the guy in the red/black hoody who is cut off at the neck originally but as they keep cutting back to him gets lower and lower in his seat to try and get his face on TV...that's me! :D

There was also an absolutely hilarious moment when they were recording the trails as the audience started to applause at the wrong moment halfway through and Frank wittily referenced that in the link.
    Would make a great clip for Outtake TV or something.
    (Is that even made any more? :confused: )
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A) she wasn't being serious
    B) being able to laugh at life is crucial, people who work in hospitals learn this early on but it doesn't mean they don't feel sad or respect people's suffering at the same time.

Glad this show is back and I think Maranda Hart is one of our best female comedians.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I do not find anyting offensive about Miranda decision about her breasts its a bit over the top to take it that way.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Miranda Hart - She's like Sarah Millican, but funny.

Please do not compare Miranda Hart to that odious Sarah Milliacan.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still miss the Paul Merton / Nick Hancock versions ...
    I don't think the panel format works as well, but that's just my opinion.

Also still annoyed that Skinner didn't put E-Readers/Kindles in there. My personal hate object at the moment ...
    (NB: Tried it. Yes if you're travelling long distance, but I still need to turn pages and have a book or magazine. Doesn't feel right otherwise ... I keep looking for the "jump" button.).
    I think the audience agreed with me as well...

Incidentally, Skinner had a personal pop at me many years ago on live TV on "Unplanned".
    I asked him about Drew Barrymore's Mum, and he ignored the question and took the p*** out of my beard! Git!

Saw him live again at a TV show ("I Love My Country") recently and I have to admit that he is naturally witty. As somebody said earlier in the thread, pity most of the funny stuff never ends up on the screen ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anybody see this tonight?

Was it just me, or was Mr Skinner incredibly condescending towards Victoria Coren (pretty much to the point of rudeness).

I may have a soft spot for the lady (and fancy her quite a bit), but it just felt a bit "off" to me, especially when all her choices were spot on.

BTW, over the last couple of series, I find myself disagreeing with practically every winning item he's picked. Can't we get Paul Merton or somebody a bit less stroppy back for the show? :(
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Wulfster wrote: »

Was it just me, or was Mr Skinner incredibly condescending towards Victoria Coren (pretty much to the point of rudeness).

I may have a soft spot for the lady (and fancy her quite a bit), but it just felt a bit "off" to me, especially when all her choices were spot on.

BTW, over the last couple of series, I find myself disagreeing with practically every winning item he's picked. Can't we get Paul Merton or somebody a bit less stroppy back for the show? :(
    Strange that you say that as Merton used to be the king of deadpan.
    Hancock wasn't much cheerier either :D

I agree that it's not as good as the previous format, but even at the end of Merton's run he started to put everything in instead of tackling the pros and cons of the item.
    Will wait til the Extra Storage edition.
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure Terry's choice of packaging was put in by someone on the original series (maybe Spike Milligan?)

I think the show works best with 1 guest, the 3 guest format seems too rushed - even extra storage feels like it's had loads cut out of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Strange that you say that as Merton used to be the king of deadpan.
    Hancock wasn't much cheerier either :D

I agree that it's not as good as the previous format, but even at the end of Merton's run he started to put everything in instead of tackling the pros and cons of the item.
    Will wait til the Extra Storage edition.

Yeah. I only really mentioned Merton as he was the previous presenter.

BTW, I was in the audience with some mates years ago, for a Room 101 recording, with Hancock as presenter, and Chris Tarrant as the guest.
    Nick Hancock was hands down the most nervous TV presenter I have ever seen at a TV show. He was visibly shaking and stretching minutes before filming. Maybe it was a one-off, or he was ill or something, but it was actually shocking to see!
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    I think the show works best with 1 guest, the 3 guest format seems too rushed - even extra storage feels like it's had loads cut out of it.

The recordings go on for three hours! It spoils it for me watching the 28-minute versions because I know most of it has been cut.

(And I rarely end up watching the extended versions of these shows, because I don't want to wait for them, and watch the short version. The extended version is then a game of spotting what's different. Although with Room 101, they used to add a whole extra round, making it a bit easier.)
  • brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wulfster wrote: »

I thought he was condensending too, she came up with some good points. I think frank turner is usually really funny but all the gags were obviously pre planned and not too funny purely because they were not spontaneous. I think it's why bedeil and skinner was so funny.