Inside Death Row with Trevor McDonald

Comments

• ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off who?

People who like writing to prisoners - he did come across very articulate and a bit more "sane" than the others. It could have been an act though.
    katkim wrote: »
    Trevor McDonald was on BBC Breakfast and he said he had kept in touch with Stanford and sends him books.

He obviously had an impact on Trev. I wonder if he keeps in touch with anyone else he met on there. I wouldn't mind getting a chance to do what Trev did - although I wonder if they'd let a female reporter have access in the same way?
    habby wrote: »

Do you know what the theme music was that kept playing when they were showing walking shots etc.?
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    stephmcuk wrote: »
    Do you think the prisoners would have watched that programme on the little tvs.

Highly unlkely they could receive itv!! Besides a lot of televisions in American prisons only show educational/or religious programmes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, what happens when someone commits violence inside the prison like beating someone up? Does their ridiculously long sentence get further increased? Would there be another trial for this crime? Do they just get their privileges taken away?
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cooler wrote: »
    I agree the british justice system is a joke. If it wasn't for the possible miscarriage of justice then id be in favour of the death penalty being reinstated. You could argue that the death penalty an easy way out for criminals, but it means they can never inflict pain or terror on anyone again which IMO overrides that downside.

The death penalty is just a form of revenge in my view, it doesn't reduce violent crime, which is the most important thing to most people. For a country that doesn't have the death penalty, our violent crime rate is lower than most countries that do have the death penalty - so we must be doing something right elsewhere.

And let's not worry about the mental health of those asked to be executioners on a regular basis, let's not worry about the number of executioners who have turned to alcohol over the centuries or even committed suicide. If soldiers on a battlefield can face mental health issues from killing in self-defence, it's no wonder killing someone in cold blood - regardless of who that person is - can have the same effects.

The man who executed Ruth Ellis? - the last woman to be executed in the UK - didn't feel comfortable about doing it, though admittedly she wasn't a seriel killer but a jealous and drunk mess.
  • ruby-tuesdayruby-tuesday Posts: 8,467
    Forum Member
    Yes I'm not sure this is good for the cats; also something which worries me is if a couple of prisoners have an argument, then one might kill the other's cat to get revenge.:eek:

A very interesting programme and I was surprised to learn that two of the prisoners were allowed to keep cats, but what's to stop the cats escaping from the cell, surely they could get through the bars :confused:
  • spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I've always felt sorry for Aileen. She never stood a chance in life from the minute she was conceived.
    I've always, also wanted to know what happened to Tyler, I'd love to hear what she has got to say these days, she stitched Aileen up good and proper to save her own skin..

I know what you mean.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    One thing that puzzled me, was that the program implied that a large number of the inmates were guitly of murder, but there only seemed to be about a dozen or so on death row.

In states which have the death penalty what determines whether a convicted murderer receives the death penalty rather than life imprisonment?

The guy who killed the mother and daughter had obviously done something particularly evil but it implied that the other death row inmates hadn't commmitted murders quite as bad. But presumably they were still worse than the other murderers who "only" got life in jail?

It depends upon the judge I suppose.
  • summertime09summertime09 Posts: 10,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's not true, there is a section of media who pedal such a theory and it's become something of a modern myth.
    It does happen that people get fairly light sentances for what appears to be a severe crime, but many people are in jail for a very long time and some are never getting out.

MAYBE if you were the relative of a murder victim you would have a different view!!! :mad::mad:
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    katkim wrote: »
    Trevor McDonald was on BBC Breakfast and he said he had kept in touch with Stanford and sends him books.

Pity Trevor McDonald doesn't stay in touch with the victims by regularly sending them wreaths.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This article makes me think there was a lot of Baer's interview that was cut out - when he described the gory details of his murder. Trevor also said he didn't actually like any of the prisoners.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Amazing show. Outstanding piece of television.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Was it the 70's when Barry George was wrongly convicted of murdering Jill Dando?
    There are others.
    Scuby wrote: »
    Jill Dando was murdered in April 1999 not in the seventies easy enough to look it up.
    Which just shows despite all the blabbing about how we can now prove beyond all doubt because of scientific advancements.....we can still 'cock it up'.

Luckily for Barry George we don't have the death penalty in this country otherwise we'd have killed the wrong man. :rolleyes:

There was another 'cock up' regarding a murder on Hampstead Heath where the Police used entrapment to try and get a conviction. That also turned out to be 'the wrong bloke'!
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    One thing that puzzled me, was that the program implied that a large number of the inmates were guitly of murder, but there only seemed to be about a dozen or so on death row.

In states which have the death penalty what determines whether a convicted murderer receives the death penalty rather than life imprisonment?

The guy who killed the mother and daughter had obviously done something particularly evil but it implied that the other death row inmates hadn't commmitted murders quite as bad. But presumably they were still worse than the other murderers who "only" got life in jail?

Yes that puzzled me too.

Some of the murderers had got a 50 year sentence and a few were on death row - I wonder why and what differentiates the ones with a long sentence and the ones on death row?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Pity Trevor McDonald doesn't stay in touch with the victims by regularly sending them wreaths.

Indeed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Which just shows despite all the blabbing about how we can now prove beyond all doubt because of scientific advancements.....we can still 'cock it up'.

Luckily for Barry George we don't have the death penalty in this country otherwise we'd have killed the wrong man. :rolleyes:

There was another 'cock up' regarding a murder on Hampstead Heath where the Police used entrapment to try and get a conviction. That also turned out to be 'the wrong bloke'!

Do you mean Wimbledon Common (Rachel NIckell)?
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would guess that all those on Death Row have committed particularly heinous crimes; be it in their nature or down to numbers.

I'm no expert, but don't the US have a system, whereby if a person is sentenced to death a review is automatically held to determine if the trial was sound and the death penalty is appropriate' and about half fail this, so another sentence is given or a retrial.

I would also think that in many cases, the prosecutor doesn't ask for a death sentence at the start; for fear of a jury not liking the idea, and maybe causing a mistrial through not being able to agree or even acquitting the person.

In some states colour and/or social background probably pay a part.
    Forum Member
    America is pretty harsh on crime if even cats are sentenced to Death Row
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    America is pretty harsh on crime if even cats are sentenced to Death Row

:D:D

I don't even like cats but I felt sorry for them being caged up.
    Forum Member
    I liked the contract killer's excuse when Sir Trevor asked him why he didn't just call the police when he was supposedly blackmailed into killing someone.

"That....erm.....never occured to me"

Idiot.
  • MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the contract killer's excuse when Sir Trevor asked him why he didn't just call the police when he was supposedly blackmailed into killing someone.

"That....erm.....never occured to me"

Idiot.

You clealry have an unhealthy amount of faith in the police :D
    Forum Member
    Sir Trevor should have told the ginger murderer that he was offended that our princess' photos were in his cell, and should have asked the warden to immediately remove them, for the sake of Prince Harry and Prince William.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sir Trevor should have told the ginger murderer that he was offended that our princess' photos were in his cell, and should have asked the warden to immediately remove them, for the sake of Prince Harry and Prince William.

He's got to have something to masturbate over.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    shades1 wrote: »
    UK needs the death penalty badly , our justice system is the laughing stock of the world .

i have absolutely no problem whatsoever with it being re-introduced , not that it ever will be , all the do-gooders have pretty much ruined any chance of offenders ever being properly punished for there crimes .

Sooner someone do good than do bad :D

We do not need the death penalty.

I do not know if you blinked and missed it but murder rates are tumbling at the moment. The lowest since 1978.
  • M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Would miscarriages of justice make you lose sleep at night??

..................................................................................................

On a side note Trevor is no Louis Theroux....

shades1 would see that as collateral damage.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean Wimbledon Common (Rachel NIckell)?
    Yes that was the one.....Colin Stagg was arrested and charged with her murder after the Police used a female undercover officer as entrapment. Stagg spent 14 months held in custody before being acquitted at the Old Bailey.

He was the subject of a very good documentary a few years back. His life has been turned on its head and in tatters.