Options

Leo Ihenacho say's Battle rounds are not fair.

Comments

• Options
    steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But then it kinda makes the next round pointless but i do see where he is coming from there is a clear solution. Call it the duet round instead of the battle round & drum it into the contestants to sing it like a duet & then whoever sang it best wins as even if do it like a duet you can still judge who sang it best rather than them trying to scream/shout outdo each other
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. The best battles I've seen have been the ones where the contestants have worked together instead of trying to outdo each other.

The two that spring to mind are:-

Max V Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hva1zMzGRzk

Connor V Smith & Jones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi5km9Anhlc

There's nothing worse than two people or a duo and a soloist working against each other. It just ends up sounding like a cats' chorus!

The one that has lodged in my brain is:-

Cleo V Nu-Tarna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axHbTgK9QvQ

Ouch!:o
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,860
    Forum Member
    Well that means he gets knocked out then probably ;-) In fairness, I like the Battles, they're probably the most interesting format point, there have been some that work better than others and the ones that descend into a horrible mess are truly excruciating, but on the whole, they can produce occasions where people really up their game (like J Marie Cooper being knocked out in Series 1 as the other girl killed it) and they bounce off each other-I really enjoy them, but I know I'm in the minority
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    The battles are about learning to work together someone, even if you don't like them in difficult circumstances, which happens in music so if you try and out do somebody then it makes you look a tosser. I presume Leo didn't make it, not surprising though, he doesn't have a great attitude.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I'd have to disagree with him... I don't think the format is unfair, because both singers are given equal chance to showcase what they can do vocally. I can't recall duet partners ever trying to out-sing/sing over each other in the American version, or even in TV UK - with the obvious exception of Cleo/Nu-Tarna mentioned above. In the US version they always strike a balance between competition and collaboration with the 'battle' partners, so I think if singers aren't doing that they may have attitude issues...?

What could be considered unfair is that so many talented singers/artists have to leave the show so quickly during this round (at least, in the first two series, there were people who deserved to stay, this year that's more doubtful). I don't know if there is a way to address that... Make battles go on for longer? Personally, this round is my favourite part of TV, although I'm not sure how they're going to go this year, what with the decreased talent pool (sorry).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem (if you believe the tabloids and Kylie's own actions) that Leo already has an advantage through Kylie herself. If anything's unfair to the other contestants, it's that surely.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far, its just been a caterwauling mess tonight (although these 2 singing Leo Sayer have been ok). And why pay Tom Jones all that money only to have him sit on the fence, very dull.
  • Options
    ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archangel wrote: »
    It does seem (if you believe the tabloids and Kylie's own actions) that Leo already has an advantage through Kylie herself. If anything's unfair to the other contestants, it's that surely.

Not read anything, do tell!!
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with this is that I find it hard to believe that the coach hasn't made their mind up before the battle. Sometimes songs do seem to suit one rather than the other and the whole battle premise just seems awkward -especially when there are instruments involved or its one against two.
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    The problem with this is that I find it hard to believe that the coach hasn't made their mind up before the battle. Sometimes songs do seem to suit one rather than the other and the whole battle premise just seems awkward -especially when there are instruments involved or its one against two.

I'm sure they have a good idea of who they will put through but are still open to have their minds changed on the night.
    It may be that there is nothing to choose between them in the Battle then they would have to take into account what they have seen of them in rehearsals etc.
    We have to accept the mentors see and know far more about each contestant than we do.
    I agree on the two v one scenario but there isn't much you can do about it unless they ban duos
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I kinda agree with Leo after watching tonight. With song Key's and vocal styles you can lose someone who is great just based on the song choice and division of lines. Unless of course its all pre-decided. I wish the public could get involved sooner on this show.. not enough interaction!