Options

"Long" Sentences In England

BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
Forum Member
✭✭✭
20th April 2015

Do our mighty leaders know what a long sentence is?

Do they know how crime affects the "normal people"?

Please discuss.

A gang of five men and a teenager who subjected underage girls to sexual abuse in Oxfordshire after grooming them have been jailed.
The defendants attacked seven victims, aged 13 to 15, in cars, woods or at the defendants' homes in Banbury.
Oxford Crown Court heard they lured victims to parties organised on social media and were found guilty in March.
At the same court, each of the men were handed sentences of between three and nine years.
Ahmed Hassan-Sule, 21, of Glyndebourne Gardens, was sentenced to nine years imprisonment, with a further five years on licence; Mohamed Saleh, 22, of Orchard Way, was jailed for four years and nine months; Said Saleh, 20, of Orchard Way, was jailed for four years; Takudzwa Hova, 21, of Broughton Road, was sentenced to six years with a further four years on licence; and Kagiso Manase, 21, of Warwick Road, received five years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-32332946

Comments

• Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you aware the forum adds a time and date to your postings so you don't actually have to write the date yourself?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Detective Inspector Steve Raffield from Banbury Force CID said: 'This result would not have been possible without the bravery of the victims.
    'I would like to thank them for coming forward and giving evidence in this case. As in all trials without their testimony we would not be where we are today.
    'As a result young people will be safeguarded while these men will have time to reflect upon their actions in prison.'

A total of 31 years between 6 men for an extremely long list of serious crimes?

HALVED, OF COURSE.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There seems to have been a surge of right wingers in the GD forum recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    There seems to have been a surge of right wingers in the GD forum recently.

Are you saying left wingers don't like filthy criminals going to prison?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Are you aware the forum adds a time and date to your postings so you don't actually have to write the date yourself?

No different to the poster who uses the "centre" tags on everything he posts I suppose - some people feel they need a "quirk" to stand out.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    From a cold point of view, as long as the sentences are not outside the legal guidelines there is nothing wrong with them.

Also, anyone can complain to the attorney general that a sentence is "unduly lenient". Not guaranteed to make a difference, but the procedure exists.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    From a cold point of view, as long as the sentences are not outside the legal guidelines there is nothing wrong with them.

Also, anyone can complain to the attorney general that a sentence is "unduly lenient". Not guaranteed to make a difference, but the procedure exists.

Absolutely right.

But do we think that sentences in England are long enough?

Are they only so short because of a shortage of prison places?

If so, shouldn't they be spending lots of money on more prisons?

If our population has increased by 20 million in the last 30 years, have the prisons kept pace or have the places reduced because our poor criminals need an en-suite?
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    BigAndy99 wrote: »

That does seem to be a recurring impression that is given.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But do we think that sentences in England are long enough?

Are they only so short because of a shortage of prison places?

If so, shouldn't they be spending lots of money on more prisons?

If our population has increased by 20 million in the last 30 years, have the prisons kept pace or have the places reduced because our poor criminals need an en-suite?

They are all reasonable questions. How to deal with those issues is debatable, obviously. More prison places makes sense if you are going to increase sentences.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member

Unfortunately some left wingers don't seem to think child abuse is a crime.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All sentences passed are automatically halved in terms of jail time; with the exception of whole life tariffs (obviously) and IPP life sentences where the judge recommends a minimum number of years to be served before consideration for parole.

So if a judge rules that 'charlatan X must serve a minimum of 4 years in prison', charlatan X will do the whole 4 years plus additional time until the probation/psychiatrist reports ajudge him to be fit for release.

Under the old rules (pre-2005 or somewhere around then), felons convicted of sentences exceeding 4 years or more (excluding life/IPP) had to serve 2/3 of the sentence in jail; not sure why the more lenient 1/2 was set in.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No different to the poster who uses the "centre" tags on everything he posts I suppose - some people feel they need a "quirk" to stand out.

And some people are different to you.

Welcome to the world :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are all reasonable questions. How to deal with those issues is debatable, obviously. More prison places makes sense if you are going to increase sentences.

Well i believe that most people would like to see longer sentences handed out, or at least people serving their full sentences.

I'd like to see some figures for prison population 40 years ago.

I'd like to know if people are serving less of their sentence - if they are then i'm going to assume it is because we need the prison places.

I'd like to know what the prison capacity was 40 years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well i believe that most people would like to see longer sentences handed out, or at least people serving their full sentences.

I wouldn't be against that, because it makes things easier to understand.

That would indeed be pretty interesting to see.
    I'd like to know if people are serving less of their sentence - if they are then i'm going to assume it is because we need the prison places.

I don't know about that. It's probably part of it though.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd like to know what the prison capacity was 40 years ago.

Some info on the prison population here, 1993-2012. Basically it's doubled in that time. Not sure about 40 years ago though.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/story-of-the-prison-population-1993-2012
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Prisons cost money to run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Prisons cost money to run.

Probably (definitely) - but surely the security of all of us is just as important as the NHS?

They are both life and death.

Also, i think the way our prison system panders to prisoners and their supporters makes it more costly than it should be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably (definitely) - but surely the security of all of us is just as important as the NHS?

They are both life and death.

Also, i think the way our prison system panders to prisoners and their supporters makes it more costly than it should be?

The NHS is more important.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The NHS is more important.

Why is that?

I'd rather die from natural causes and not being able to see a surgeon in time than at the hands of some scum bag who has been let off with suspended sentences, tags and fines for the past 20 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is that?

I'd rather die from natural causes and not being able to see a surgeon in time than at the hands of some scum bag who has been let off with suspended sentences, tags and fines for the past 20 years.

Criminals are always there, murders will always occur.

If we are short of money, only murders and sex offenders should be locked up. The NHS is more important, why should hard working people suffer to pay for people to be locked up.

The death penalty would be an solution to dispose of these murders and child abusers.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »

What's the difference between that and those who sign off their posts using either their forum name or real one?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The death penalty would be an solution to dispose of these murders and child abusers.

It's not legally possible though, and never will be again, so you have to deal with the consequences of that.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks for proving my point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not legally possible though, and never will be again, so you have to deal with the consequences of that.

I know its not legel, but I suspect one day it will be again.

The consequences are well known, children are abused, people are murdered.

If I could press a button and kill every child abuser and murderer (providing they are guilty and there is clear evidence), I would.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its not legel, but I suspect one day it will be again.

The consequences are well known, children are abused, people are murdered.

The problem with the death penalty is innocent people get executed.