"Long" Sentences In England

13»

Comments

• BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Of course people get wrongly convicted of murder and I have no doubt some people convicted now/recently will be found innocent later.

As I said, however good your technology is there is always room for corruption or mistakes while humans are involved. It's inevitable.

I disagree.

They usually get away, or have their convictions overturned for technical reasons - the prosecution made mistakes / the police shouted at them etc.

And are therefore deemed "innocent".

But they are not. ;-)
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Unfortunately some left wingers don't seem to think child abuse is a crime.

Oh dear!
  • ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    I disagree.

They usually get away, or have their convictions overturned for technical reasons - the prosecution made mistakes / the police shouted at them etc.

But they are not. ;-)

So you actually agree with me then ;-)
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course people get wrongly convicted of murder and I have no doubt some people convicted now/recently will be found innocent later.

As I said, however good your technology is there is always room for corruption or mistakes while humans are involved. It's inevitable.
    I disagree.

But they are not. ;-)

So you don't think there could be miscarriages of justice today?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you don't think there could be miscarriages of justice today?

There are thousands every year Lazarus.

Thousands of victims see the people who have stolen from them, terrified them, crippled and beaten them get soft sentences.

Hundreds of friends and family members are mocked by those who have beaten, disabled, raped or killed their loved ones.

And it is all supported by people like you and your progressive, liberal thinking friends and masters.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    There are thousands every year Lazarus.

Thousands of victims see the people who have stolen from them, terrified them, crippled and beaten them get soft sentences.

Hundreds of friends and family members are mocked by those who have beaten, disabled, raped or killed their loved ones.

And it is all supported by people like you and your progressive, liberal thinking friends and masters.

For murder? I doubt it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    For murder? I doubt it.

What about murder?
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    What about murder?

I doubt many people these days have been wrongly convicted of murder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    I doubt many people these days have been wrongly convicted of murder.

Totally agree.

I should think the numbers of people wrongly convicted for crimes is extremely low - the highest rates are probably in the rape category where men are pretty much bu66ered.

As i pointed out just above, the miscarriages of justice are the fact that criminals get away with crime - those figures are in the tens of thousands!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of crimes that really shouldn't carry prison time. Bigamy, shoplifting....loads of others. Fines and community sentences would be more appropriate for a lot of less serious and none violent crimes

Murder and violent and sex crime is where prison comes in and the long sentences :p
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Unfortunately some left wingers don't seem to think child abuse is a crime.
    And SOME right wingers think it's a right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    Murder and violent and sex crime is where prison comes in and the long sentences :p
    Anything to do with violence - actual, threats or, as in the case of Pennie Davis, conspiring - should be subject to a life sentence with a minimum tariff depending on the crime and not released until fit to be with civilised folk
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Anything to do with violence - actual, threats or, as in the case of Pennie Davis, conspiring - should be subject to a life sentence with a minimum tariff depending on the crime and not released until fit to be with civilised folk

Prepare to have half the population in nick then. Who hasn't made a threat of violence in their lives? My guess is close to nobody.
  • ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    The train robbers got 30 years each for taking a bit of cash.

Now what's the worst of the two? Let me think now.... raping several children or taking a bit of money?

It's a tough one.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brainhiggy used to write some long sentences
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agree.

I should think the numbers of people wrongly convicted for crimes is extremely low - the highest rates are probably in the rape category where men are pretty much bu66ered.

As i pointed out just above, the miscarriages of justice are the fact that criminals get away with crime - those figures are in the tens of thousands!
    Which figures are those?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, so what should this 6 in the OP get?

The defendants attacked seven victims, aged 13 to 15, in cars, woods or at the defendants' homes in Banbury.

The verdicts were -

Ahmed Hassan-Sule was found guilty of 13 counts of sexual activity with a child and one count of assault by penetration

Kagiso Manase was convicted of three counts of sexual activity with a child, two counts of inciting a child to engage in sexual activity and one count of sexual assault

Takudzwa Hova was found guilty of one count of rape, one count of sexual activity with a child and two counts of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity. He was found not guilty of one count of rape

Mohamed Saleh was found guilty of two counts of sexual activity with a child. He was found not guilty of one count of sexual activity with a child and one count of rape

Said Saleh was convicted of one count of sexual activity with a child but was found not guilty of another count

Zsolt Szaltoni was found guilty of one count of rape
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prepare to have half the population in nick then. Who hasn't made a threat of violence in their lives? My guess is close to nobody.
    Didn't realise half the population had been convicted
  • TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    The train robbers got 30 years each for taking a bit of cash.

It's strange how everyone who talks of "30 years for taking a bit of cash" conveniently "forgets" that Jack Mills, the driver of the train, was beaten over the head with an iron bar, was off work for 9 months and then was restricted to light duties for a further 18 months before retiring through ill-health.

David Whitby, the co-driver, suffered a fatal heart attack at the age of 34, nine years after the robbery. Whether the after-effects of the robbery contributed to that heart attack it's impossible to say, but his family believe that it did. Even if it didn't, the aftermath of the robbery has made them victims too, for the very reason that they'll never know whether it did or not.

This was no victimless crime, and was more than just a few cheeky chappies nicking a the odd couple of million quid.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Didn't realise half the population had been convicted

Well I was assuming that if you thought a threat of violence was worthy of a life sentence then you would want society to take it extremely seriously, thus conviction rates going through the roof? What's the point of a life sentence if we're not going to bother convicting many of the offence?

So no, I wasn't expecting half the population to be locked up immediately, but if over time every "I'm going to punch your lights out if you don't shut up" or "I'm going to kill him" resulted in a life sentence, then I'm sure prisons would fill up very very quickly. In fact you wouldn't be able to build them fast enough.