Is there a glitch in the DS matrix?

lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
Forum Member
I've noticed the past two days, threads receiving the padlock treatment on a very random basis. Some, that are sailing very close to the wind in terms of inaccurate or offensive comment go on as normal, whilst others, which seem to have a relatively amiable discussion, get the Yale. There doesn't (to me) look to be anything against Ts&Cs in them.
Examples include "do you get on with your family", the Noah's Ark one and the discussion on the relative success of female chess players.

Comments

• NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I've noticed the past two days, threads receiving the padlock treatment on a very random basis. Some, that are sailing very close to the wind in terms of inaccurate or offensive comment go on as normal, whilst others, which seem to have a relatively amiable discussion, get the Yale. There doesn't (to me) look to be anything against Ts&Cs in them.
    Examples include "do you get on with your family", the Noah's Ark one and the discussion on the relative success of female chess players.
    It's a puzzle alright.

I notice however that many of these seemingly innocuous padlocked threads were created by users who have now 'gone fishing'.
  • EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member

I noticed that, something to do with a now inactive user perhaps?

The gender ones are also being watched closely, fair enough.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of those padlocked threads are from a user who is no more than a serial thread starter who appears to deliberately start contentious threads and never return to them.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member
    Some of those padlocked threads are from a user who is no more than a serial thread starter who appears to deliberately start contentious threads and never return to them.

If we are limited to uncontentious threads I can see problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    If we are limited to uncontentious threads I can see problems.

Fair point indeed. I can't see an issue if the user in question actually did return to them and tried to continue the debate but it didn't appear to be the case, so maybe the mods just thought they were spamming the forum ?
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mario Luigi member has started 15 threads and ALL have been quickly locked, even ones about characters in soaps.

He is obviously breaking some rule we can't see, so why not just ban him instead of having all these locked threads?
    Forum Member
    Fair point indeed. I can't see an issue if the user in question actually did return to them and tried to continue the debate but it didn't appear to be the case, so maybe the mods just thought they were spamming the forum ?

Very likely although they did mostly look like reasonable issues for threads; there are a lot sillier around. I note all the poster's threads have been locked and there where a lot. I think he has started more threads in a week than I have in 15 years. :D Still someone has to start them; they don't start themselves and I don't pull my weight.
  • edward_mckenzieedward_mckenzie Posts: 415
    Forum Member

The discussion on relative success of female chess players was legit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Very likely although they did mostly look like reasonable issues for threads; there are a lot sillier around. I note all the poster's threads have been locked and there where a lot. I think he has started more threads in a week than I have in 15 years. :D Still someone has to start them; they don't start themselves and I don't pull my weight.

I'd love to see a forum where threads did start themselves :)
  • edward_mckenzieedward_mckenzie Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    I'd love to see a forum where threads did start themselves :)

yes. it would be great.:confused:
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see why it matters whether the person who started a thread continues with the discussion therein.

None of us are under any obligation to answer questions other posters might have no matter how much we might want or expect it.

If a thread sparks a debate then it's 'job done' IMO
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Hmm.. you're right, the Noah's Ark one has be given the lock. Why? I can't see anything in there really warranting that.
  • KookyKatieKookyKatie Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The search function hasn't worked properly for me in months.
    Forum Member
    KookyKatie wrote: »
    The search function hasn't worked properly for me in months.

It hasn't worked well for anyone in months.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Hmm.. you're right, the Noah's Ark one has be given the lock. Why? I can't see anything in there really warranting that.
    Let's look at the clues........

Forget what the threads are actually about, that's irrelevant here, a new member appears and within 10 days starts 15 threads which are all quickly locked, even inane ones in soap forums.

This means a moderator has a problem with the member, not the threads, the moderator maybe has previous problems with the member under a different name and is locking down all of his threads.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder whether some of the locks result from an OP not liking the way their thread is going and requesting it to be closed. Might be completely wrong though.
  • juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    For the past two weeks my post history log has been up the wall.
    All the posts from the last two weeks missing then just two days ago six months worth of posts gone and only three left from various times in January. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the past two weeks my post history log has been up the wall.
    All the posts from the last two weeks missing then just two days ago six months worth of posts gone and only three left from various times in January. :confused:
    You are missing the point of this thread, its not about things like that, read the OP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »

Forget what the threads are actually about, that's irrelevant here, a new member appears and within 10 days starts 15 threads which are all quickly locked, even inane ones in soap forums.

This means a moderator has a problem with the member, not the threads, the moderator maybe has previous problems with the member under a different name and is locking down all of his threads.

It's more than likely that the member is a PBU and the IP address on each post is the same as the previous user rather than a moderator having a "problem" with someone.
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    I wonder whether some of the locks result from an OP not liking the way their thread is going and requesting it to be closed. Might be completely wrong though.

I would be surprised if anyone could get any thread closed without a very good reason. 15 of them just because they did not like the result; no chance. Might as well let them run the forum.
  • SoomacdooSoomacdoo Posts: 6,645
    Forum Member
    He started the threads with what looked like a random one line question and then didn't really join in the discussion. However, looking back at the way some of the threads were going it seemed the 'random' question managed to draw an awful lot of information out of other posters. It all just seems a bit weird. Maybe the Mods know something we don't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    He started the threads with what looked like a random one line question and then didn't really join in the discussion. However, looking back at the way some of the threads were going it seemed the 'random' question managed to draw an awful lot of information out of other posters. It all just seems a bit weird. Maybe the Mods know something we don't.
    I have just looked at all 15 threads again, and they all look similar in some way, they are all questions?

Are they being created by a bot computer with no human input?

All the questions from the started threads are hoovered up by a web service called topusefulsolutions, which then uses the answers to link to web searches about that subject.

Search one his thread titles in "quotes" to see.
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »

Thank you for explaining. I really couldn't be bothered looking that hard into it. Glad others have though.
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Soomacdoo wrote: »

They are an Inactive Member now
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    The discussion on relative success of female chess players was legit.

I certainly thought so. I was going to post about a friend of mine who became the Welsh Ladies Chess champion last week! :( (I don't know anyone who can come close to beating her).