✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Tastes like teen spirit

Lol :D

(:o)
  • rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must have been patient to count up to 666.
    pickwick wrote: »
    And have very teeny knives, otherwise the body would be shredded to unrecognisability.
    Turquoise wrote: »
    It probably was:(.

In which case there is no way they could have counted 666 stab wounds. I personally think that the 666 claim is sensationalism/assumption on the part of the original report.

What a completely tragic story though, I'm also surprised about the jovial replies on here compared to other similar frenzied stabbings (such as that New Cross stabbing a month or so ago)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people have a different sense of humor and find comedy in everything.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jasvinyl wrote: »
    Humour is often used as a defence mechanism against the horrors of the world.

Really? And that's what's happening here? I dunno....?
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knowing the social state of Russia, they were all probably homeless teenagers, mugging and beating up others, 'for a laugh'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    Knowing the social state of Russia, they were all probably homeless teenagers, mugging and beating up others, 'for a laugh'.

Horrible, horrible event. :( Cannot imagine what the victims went through. How must their families and friends feel? It doesn't bear thinking about.

Very, very disturbing.
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ZipGypsy wrote: »
    Really? And that's what's happening here? I dunno....?

Yes, really; it's quite common for people to use humour as a defence mechanism in the most unexpected of circumstances, funerals, tragedy, horrific crimes etc...

I don't know if that's what happening here, just offering up a possible explanation.

Another possible explanation is that no subject is taboo when it comes to humour; although timing and the recipient audience are both key factors as to whether it is well received.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, really; it's quite common for people to use humour as a denfence mechanism in the most unexpected of circumstances, funerals, tragedy, horrific crimes etc...

I don't know if that's what happening here, just offering up a possible explanation.

Another possible explanation is that no subject is taboo when it comes to humour; although timing and the recipient audience are both key factors as to whether it is well received.

Compare the reactions here to the thread on the Glamour Model who committed suicide - being treated as a serious discussion.

D'you think that it's therefore possible that this thread is so horrific that people are resorting to humour to deal with it, in comparison to the other thread?

Whatever the 'reason', it's off putting to see such comments. Is it wrong to challenge such responses?
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm laughing at the coverage, not the killings, because it's so ridiculously sensationalist.
    demay wrote: »
    I wonder how you these guys would feel if that was their child, and then looked on a forum where people were making jokes about it.
    I would rather think that if my child had been killed, the last thing I'd be worried about would be people on the internet making jokes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes people do make jokes about people commiting suicide or dying like saying stuff like "Well I guess, it was off with her head...." and other things. Not everyone handles death so delicately esp on this site and when people die in uncommon ways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Compare the reactions here to the thread on the Glamour Model who committed suicide - being treated as a serious discussion.

D'you think that it's therefore possible that this thread is so horrific that people are resorting to humour to deal with it, in comparison to the other thread?

Whatever the 'reason', it's off putting to see such comments. Is it wrong to challenge such responses?

Not at all.

As to comparing to another thread; I don't think there is much point. Threads develop differently for many reasons; all I have done is offered up a couple of possible reasons behind the jokes on this thread. I may well be wrong and all the people who posted jokes are actually horrid people with no conscience. I don't believe that though. Or there may be other reasons, like the one given by pickwick.

If you're unhappy with comments made on a thread you have every right to say so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not at all.

As to comparing to another thread; I don't think there is much point. Threads develop differently for many reasons; all I have done is offered up a couple of possible reasons behind the jokes on this thread. I may well be wrong and all the people who posted jokes are actually horrid people with no conscience. I don't believe that though. Or there may be other reasons, like the one given by pickwick.

If you're unhappy with comments made on a thread you have every right to say so.

I don't think people are 'horrid' here - just the comments some people have made. I think people can get carried away sometimes. And in so doing, can be offensive. That's a judgement on my part but I see I'm not alone.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humour is often used as a defence mechanism against the horrors of the world.

To a certain extent.

But the majority of posts here have been humourous , rather than the odd one.

Would it have been the same if the teens had been British and the psuedo satanism link not been made? Would it have been the same if the victims had been younger (and British)?
  • ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    It's religious fervour. That's always bad news.

Of course, no one can say their beliefs are wrong. All religious views are protected. Faith beats all, doesn't it?

Horrible story but you raise an interesting point. If the guy really believed what he was doing was making a sacrifice to his 'god', Satan, then should his belief be respected?

I certainly don't think so but many on here have argued in the past that all beliefs should be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrible story but you raise an interesting point. If the guy really believed what he was doing was making a sacrifice to his 'god', Satan, then should his belief be respected?

I certainly don't think so but many on here have argued in the past that all beliefs should be.

I would think they meant as long as they aren't hurting anyone. Killing would be looked down upon even by those who believe in respecting other's beliefs.
  • THRTHR Posts: 9,808
    Forum Member
    Why is any number, be it 616 or 666, a number of the beast? Numbers just like any other numbers. Probably reading the Bible would answer that question.

Imagine if someone was born on June 6th 2006, 06/06/06, would that person be somehow devil?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

While I think any satanism angle is either a media fabrication or a mental health issue on the part of the killer, you raise a good point.

If truely the killer was killing because be believed his (religious) belief was right, is his belief equally valid to any other 'belief'? If not, why not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember 6/6/06 and some women were being induced on the 6/5 because they didn't want their baby born on 6/6/06.
    Forum Member
    I remember 6/6/06 and some women were being induced on the 6/5 because they didn't want their baby born on 6/6/06.

I was about to say, 'What? A whole month early? :eek:' but then I realised...........:o

Either way, that's pretty ridiculous imo.
  • pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was about to say, 'What? A whole month early? :eek:' but then I realised...........:o

Heh, I didn't notice, I was too busy realising that I'd be more likely to get it induced on 6/6 and then draw a 666 on the crown of its head for a laugh :o This is why I should ever have kids...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think people are 'horrid' here - just the comments some people have made. I think people can get carried away sometimes. And in so doing, can be offensive. That's a judgement on my part but I see I'm not alone.

I'd be surprised if you were alone.

I'm not personally offended by the jokes on this thread (there are other things which can offend me, which may not offend you), but I can see why people could be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if you were alone.

I'm not personally offended by the jokes on this thread (there are other things which can offend me, which may not offend you), but I can see why people could be.

I wonder if it's something about how people respond to the words on screen as opposed to hearing them? I guess levels of empathy and sympathy may/may not be similar on and off screen? Or perhaps one would be more likely to laugh at such humour if it were contextualised in an actual conversation.

Whatever the case...and even if this is a defence mechanism...it's still, IMO, unpleasant. As for defence mechanisms...do you mean of the psychodynamic school of thought?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry I'm American, I didn't think to put it the British way :o
    Forum Member
    Sorry I'm American, I didn't think to put it the British way :o

No problem :)
    I knew you were American so should have realised anyway!

I do think it's crazy to mess with nature when it's not needed and induce your child to prevent them being born on any particular date though. What did those women do who went into labour earlier than expected on 6/6? Cross their legs tightly and hope for the best? :D
  • bumsexbumsex Posts: 679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turquoise wrote: »
    No, they don't.

Modern Satanism of the Anton LaVey variety is more like atheism than anything else. Followers see themselves, rather than a God, as the ultimate power in their lives, which is pretty true.

That's pretty close, in laymans terms, to what I believe as a Satanist. The media really has a lot to answer for.