Chickenpox scarring

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
Forum Member
Hi :)

I recently had a fairly bad bout of chickenpox I was put on antivirals due to my asthma it took me a while to get over it I think due to the long term steroids (Prednisolone and high dose inhaled steroids) I have to take. I have alot of scars from the chickenpox particularly on my face, which is affecting my self esteem I know its a bit petty but its bad enough having eczema on my face at the moment now with scarring too.

I have had a look on the internet and it says Vitamin E creams etc can help? Does anyone know about this? Or can anyone suggest anything which might help lessen the appearances of the scars.

Comments

• JosiepopJosiepop Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Oil.... expensive but works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio oil, expensive but lasts a long time and works.. the fresher the scars they quicker they heal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dunno what happend there...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for bio oil. I've been using it recently for a incision scar on my back after surgery, its slowly fading the marks left by the clips either side of the scar and evening it out. I've only been using it 3-4 weeks. My mum puts a bit on give or take every other day (because I can't see it!!!)
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    Bio Oil is quite cheap in Home Bargains.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,388
    Forum Member
    Yet another vote for bio-oil here, but for a more natural remedy active manuka honey is said to have healing properties, and can reduce scarring. I think its more for use under a dressing but see below a snippet from a search I just did on it.

Another, possible effective scar treatment is the use of honey on wounds and scars but more research has to be done. With honey being very beneficial for wound care, a recent review (evaluated the results of 22 clinical trials involving more than 2,000 patients) concluded that honey also minimizes scarring, removes infected and dead tissue and speeds healing by stimulating new tissue growth

I hope you have success.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    Thank you all everso much for replies, I will give Bio-Oil a go. :)
  • BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheaper, but idk how effective. Cocoa butter has vitamin E in it also
  • caraxcarax Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would second bio oil and manuka honey and Vit E cream - and the Palmer's Cocoa Butter range also includes creams for scar reduction. The manuka honey (buy as high a UMF as you can afford) is also good taken as, er, honey, for boosting your immune system generally. So, buying that might kill two birds with one stone. 'Tain't cheap though. Any good health food store should stock it.
  • labelsandlovelabelsandlove Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will say that Bio Oil didn't really work for me, but mine was scar that was 2-3 months old. I have recently found this:

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=1685

It really has evened out my scars, even to the point of fading them.

I was also told that fake tan might help blend in scars, but I haven't tried it and I don't know how effective it might be!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    I will try to try the things youve all suggested.

thanks again! :)
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    I was going to recommend bio oil, vitamin E and manuka honey, but I see that many posters got there first. As I'm here, I just wanted to say that I don't think it's petty at all, I used to get very bad eczema on my face and still occasionally get an outbreak of psoriasis on my chin and neck, so know how it can affect your confidence. Hopefully you'll soon be right as rain. ;)
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the scars too after a bout of chicken pox, it is not petty to feel self-conscious about it, you've received a lot of advice here, and hopefully something will work.

I just wanted to add that try to relax about it if you can, the added stress won't really help your skin much. I know it's easier than said, but maybe you could just try throwing yourself into a hobby or something for now so you can sort of put it to the back of your mind?