Atlantic

2»

Comments

• weetomuncherweetomuncher Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    While it is often quoted that many people can't get Virgin Media, I live in a 1970s house and can't get a viable broadband service other than with Virgin Media. I'd be unable to get more than 7Mb service from a BT line (through BT, Sky or any of the other providers) while I get 152Mb from Virgin Media. I'm happy with the TiVo service and apart from Sky Atlantic and a couple of other channels, I have practically a complete TV service.

I have satellite TV through Freesat and I could get Sky but I figured it would be almost as expensive, I'd have a pathetic broadband service and we'd have to start again by buying high end receivers. It just wouldn't be worth it. We considered switching but it was going to be a short term hit financially and then only a small saving with a poorer overall service.
  • D3XT3RD3XT3R Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main reason i've stayed with Virgin is because Tivo is miles better than Sky +

That's your opinion, I had been with sky since they started and switched to Virgin TV to go with their BB & phone services I already had as they have better/more reliable BB.Can't stand the box, everything is so long winded to do anything, take watching a recording, with sky i just press the play button and it takes me straight to the top of my recording list, the series linked episode are also in the right order with the oldest episode at the top to watch first(makes complete sense) I can also type in the start time manually if I have already seen the begining. Another bug bear I was trying to record BH 90210 the other day(remembering my youth :) ) and wanted a series link, when I checked for the recording the next day it was not there, recoring hiccups said it had not recorded as it was not a NEW episode, of course its not it's 20 years old now. So i changed to record new and reruns but then the 8pm episode repeat clashed with my usual recordings>:( . Not very smart for advanced tech, just wanted the 3pm recording, now had too set manually Mon- Fri even though it's not showing on Mondays. Stupid, cant wait for this years contract to be over as its made me realise that slower BB is better than a crap Tivo box. Rant over;-)
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D3XT3R wrote: »
    That's your opinion, I had been with sky since they started and switched to Virgin TV to go with their BB & phone services I already had as they have better/more reliable BB.Can't stand the box, everything is so long winded to do anything, take watching a recording, with sky i just press the play button and it takes me straight to the top of my recording list, the series linked episode are also in the right order with the oldest episode at the top to watch first(makes complete sense) I can also type in the start time manually if I have already seen the begining. Another bug bear I was trying to record BH 90210 the other day(remembering my youth :) ) and wanted a series link, when I checked for the recording the next day it was not there, recoring hiccups said it had not recorded as it was not a NEW episode, of course its not it's 20 years old now. So i changed to record new and reruns but then the 8pm episode repeat clashed with my usual recordings>:( . Not very smart for advanced tech, just wanted the 3pm recording, now had too set manually Mon- Fri even though it's not showing on Mondays. Stupid, cant wait for this years contract to be over as its made me realise that slower BB is better than a crap Tivo box. Rant over;-)

If you had chosen record anyway it would have sorted itself out and picked the next available recording,
  • AliAsteriskAliAsterisk Posts: 109
    Forum Member

Everything you just said has very little to do with Tivo, it was your own fault. If you set the series link for new and reruns in the first place it would have recorded and you wouldn't have needed to set another to record later at 8pm. And surely if you knew you had other recordings scheduled which you say you usually record, again would you not have realised it was going to clash? Really don't see your argument there for Tivo being crap! ;-)

And while we're on the subject, at least with Tivo I can record 3 shows while I watch something I recorded earlier. Can't do that with Sky+ :D
  • D3XT3RD3XT3R Posts: 788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything you just said has very little to do with Tivo, it was your own fault. If you set the series link for new and reruns in the first place it would have recorded and you wouldn't have needed to set another to record later at 8pm. And surely if you knew you had other recordings scheduled which you say you usually record, again would you not have realised it was going to clash? Really don't see your argument there for Tivo being crap! ;-)

And while we're on the subject, at least with Tivo I can record 3 shows while I watch something I recorded earlier. Can't do that with Sky+ :D

Read again I only wanted to record the early showing not the late one as I knew this would clash, New and Reruns why would I want to record a programme twice a day even if it didn't clash DOH;-). As for the 3 recording and watching a 4th I got by for years without needing this, it's just a gimmick, my own opinion is that the whole interface needs a rethink:p
  • Red WimpRed Wimp Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read again I only wanted to record the early showing not the late one as I knew this would clash, New and Reruns why would I want to record a programme twice a day even if it didn't clash DOH;-). As for the 3 recording and watching a 4th I got by for years without needing this, it's just a gimmick, my own opinion is that the whole interface needs a rethink:p

New and reruns refers to the series run, so you wouldn't have got both showings of the same episode recorded
  • orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red Wimp wrote: »
    New and reruns refers to the series run, so you wouldn't have got both showings of the same episode recorded

i found it often records all of them on that setting...
    it was one of the "what the hell is this doing" moments i had when i switched from V+hd to tivo
  • nicklbnicklb Posts: 186
    Forum Member

I totally agree the sky box is much slicker than the TiVo, switched to VM in August for bt sport really however sky + was much smoother and simpler and the on demand absolutely wipes the floor with VM