Options

Favourite lesser seen soap?

CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
Forum Member
✭✭✭
These forums are mostly used to discuss the "big 4" English soaps but what smaller scale, lesser publicised soaps do you like watching or have you watched in the past? Both long running or short lived. Like the regional ones in the UK or some of the foreign imports we've enjoyed in the past. My favourites are ITV's Night and Day which launched in a blaze of publicity before being buried in the late night schedule to die and similarly BBC's Aussie soaps Breakers and Out of the Blue. I loved both of them but they were shunted around the schedules a lot. Luckily TV3 in Ireland aired Breakers more or less uninterrupted during it's two year run. Below is a list of some of the soaps I'm talking about to jog people's memories.

River City
Pobl y Cwm
Rownd a Rownd
Shortland Street
Ros na Rún - Irish language soap aired on TG4
Take the High Road \ High Road

And a few for the slightly older forum members.

All Saints - Aussie medical soap from the 00's. BBC One ran it in a daytime slot and TV3 aired it in Ireland. I think Living aired it too. Ran for 12 years although I'm unsure if just how many episodes we got in the UK and Ireland.

London Bridge - ITV soap that ran from 1996-99. Rarely remembered as it was pretty ropey but it used to beat Hollyoaks in the ratings.

Canary Wharf - cable channel L!VE TV's soap about the staff of a cable channel. Made on a shoestring budget but featured various actors who later graduated to the likes of EE, ED, Casualty and Bad Girls.

Pacific Drive - Aussie soap that aired on Sky One in the 90's

E Street - another Aussie soap that aired for nearly five years in the 90's. It was so popular at one point, when Neighbours was rating poorly in the early 90's, Network Ten considered axing it and expanding E Street but plans never came to fruition.

Santa Barbara - US soap that ran for 12 years in the 80's\90's on both ITV and Sky One. Kind of like a forerunner to Sunset Beach.

Comments

• Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    The Bold and the Beautiful is the only current "minority" soap that I'm watching right now and loving. It's finally managed to modernize in a way that feels a lot like its glory days of the 90s. It's certainly playing to its strengths right now.

From the defunct "minority" soaps: I loved Sunset Beach, Family Affairs, Night and Day and, Out of the Blue.

While I don't class All Saints as a soap, but a medical drama (much in the same way that The Bill wasn't a soap, but a cop drama (even though it did try to be a soap at one point)), I loved what the BBC aired of the show, and was disappointed when it randomly disappeared. I don't know what numbers they were expecting to get at 2.15pm!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The US soap General Hospital which (only ever very occasionally), I manage to dip in-and-out-of, follow a bit & do try to keep up with. Which is difficult to manage though, whilst not actually watching a glitzy soap (like it is), all the time :-) :confused: :-)

Used to quite like the now defunct-soap, Sunset Beach too, back in the day (it was very back in the day in fact, in the early 00's) :-)
  • Options
    TorqueTorque Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Deschanel wrote: »
    The Bold and the Beautiful is the only current "minority" soap that I'm watching right now and loving. It's finally managed to modernize in a way that feels a lot like its glory days of the 90s. It's certainly playing to its strengths right now.

I'm getting back into The Bold and The Beautiful too at the moment! I haven't watched it properly since the days when Amber was first introduced! Its just not the same without Stephanie (and Sally!), but the show seems to be pretty entertaining again!

From the defunct "minority" soaps: I loved Sunset Beach, Family Affairs, Night and Day and, Out of the Blue.

Night and Day was awesome! Natalie and Duncan were hilarious!
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Night and Day was so good; really refreshing.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    river city is great,
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sunset beach was amazing!
  • Options
    sexy_princesssexy_princess Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Shortland Street. Although this year has sucked badly.

- Axing veteran Sarah so TK can get his leg over more young women
    - Rachel allowing Chris to father a child with Grace Kwan
    - Dayna and Kane staying with the Coopers just to keep Murray and Wendy relevant.
    - Douche, immature Vinnie and idiotic hypocrite Nicole making a baby.
    - Ula being a moody bratty bitch still.
    - Garrett and Harper. Just no.
    - Too many teens without parents and no hospital affiliation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torque wrote: »
    I'm getting back into The Bold and The Beautiful too at the moment! I haven't watched it properly since the days when Amber was first introduced! Its just not the same without Stephanie (and Sally!), but the show seems to be pretty entertaining again!

Night and Day was awesome! Natalie and Duncan were hilarious!
    You're totally right about B&B not being the same as the 90s (its golden era), but I think it's as close as it's going to get after the disastrous era of the Marones (which tried to change the shows identity) and the boring Steffy/Liam/Hope overkill era. I miss the days of Amber, Sheila and the Spectra gang, which was when I roughly started watching, too.

I think it's very entertaining right now, with a decent mix of characters. I think it helps that Deacon is a regular character, again, and "original" Rick is back in the role, as they bring with them some much needed familiarity; it's good seeing Taylor pop up for time-to-time (she needs to pop up more regularly, IMO, and share the odd scene with Brooke and nuRidge). Quinn is a great villain, in the Sheila mould, and I'm loving Maya right now, too. But the show is missing that larger-than-life character that Sally filled, and the voice of moral righteousness in Stephanie, which I think Taylor could easily fill.

Not many characters stand out from Night and Day, but I loved Natalie Harper - she was the best character on the show, IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I watched some bits of family affairs, it seemed like a soap that was perfect for channel 5, I loved eileen, pete, kat, dave, the costellos, geri and sadie. It was a shame it was cancelled. I wonder if katie got killed in the final episode?
  • Options
    zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Family Affairs is the only one i have seen and i did like it as a kid
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Not many characters stand out from Night and Day, but I loved Natalie Harper - she was the best character on the show, IMO.

There were quite a few good characters- and decent actors as well. Night and Day had a good mix of decent actors who were able to play the dramatic moments, soap actors who acted as lighter entertainment/to carry lighter drama, promising young actors and models, whose inability to act worked in their favour because their blankness made them mysterious. The balance really worked.
  • Options
    Yorkshire.KingYorkshire.King Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching Take The High Road, Flying Doctors, Sons And Daughters and Country Practice ....were they soaps? Watched them with my Nan, and ate Dairylea sandwiches if I was poorly and off school in the 80's :D
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's River City for me. I think it at least deserves a chance to be shown nationally, although it has got a bit bleak recently and is trying to be more of a drama, than a soap.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Albion Market, about 1985ish, iirc Helen Shapiro was in it.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River City, haven't watched in awhile but is a pretty amazing soap with some gritty/realist storylines.

General Hospital my guilty favourite watched since 07 on/off totally mental but love it, Elizabeth Webber is my favourite.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is River City, I live in London and watch on BBC1 Scotland
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I loved Santa Barbara though mist of that was down to Lane Davies' Mason.

Sons and Daughters would probably be my all time favourite 'minority' soap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    There were quite a few good characters- and decent actors as well. Night and Day had a good mix of decent actors who were able to play the dramatic moments, soap actors who acted as lighter entertainment/to carry lighter drama, promising young actors and models, whose inability to act worked in their favour because their blankness made them mysterious. The balance really worked.
    I'm not saying there wasn't many good actors, I'm saying they had quite a few dull characters who just didn't stand out. Lesley Joseph was awesome as Rachel, but she was wasted in the storyline department, and those around her weren't great characters (her niece and nephew).

The Harpers were the best, plus Alex & Roxanne, and the vicar. Della was a bit of drip and over exposed. Everyone else (bar Rachel) weren't super interesting, and were carried by their crazy, OTT storylines.
  • Options
    sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,954
    Forum Member
    I loved Flamingo Rd and Take the High Road. I used to watch Sons and Daughters with my Nan - she reckoned it was the best programme on the telly.

I remember one that started off partly set in Australia and partly here, but after a while the Australian bit was dropped.

I watched Albion Market and El Dorado too.

The weirdest one was called (I think) Days of Our Lives. It was shot slower than real time and sometimes went off into fantasy - strange European royalty and sword fights iirc. I think Millicent Martin might have been in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »
    I remember one that started off partly set in Australia and partly here, but after a while the Australian bit was dropped.

The weirdest one was called (I think) Days of Our Lives. It was shot slower than real time and sometimes went off into fantasy - strange European royalty and sword fights iirc. I think Millicent Martin might have been in it.
    Was that called Families?

Days of our Lives was slow. They went through a weird phase for a while where they had Austin & Greta trapped in a virtual Garden of Eden, completing life threatening trials of virtue in order to win their freedom (and Greta the grown). I loved the whole Princess Gina/Hope story arc, and the Greta's epic Coronation Massacre.
  • Options
    CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »

That's quite a good description of the Night and Day cast dynamic.
    Was that called Families?

Days of our Lives was slow. They went through a weird phase for a while where they had Austin & Greta trapped in a virtual Garden of Eden, completing life threatening trials of virtue in order to win their freedom (and Greta the grown). I loved the whole Princess Gina/Hope story arc, and the Greta's epic Coronation Massacre.

The Aussie \ English soap was called Families. It's initial plotline was very similar to the initial plotline of Sons and Daughters. Some would argue that it was a direct ripoff. Kay Mellor of Band of Gold, Playing the Field, Fat Friends etc created the series. Another ITV daytime soap that I forgot to list is Gems, a London based soap set in a fashion house which ran for a few years in the late 80's.

Re: Days of Our Lives. The coronation massacre storyline featured during the Channel 5 era of the show. I never understood why Channel 5 didn't pick up Passions instead of Days when Sunset Beach ended its run. Passions was much closer in tone to SB with it's bonkers plotlines (a 300 year old witch, a talking doll and a chimp were among the main cast).
  • Options
    wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    These forums are mostly used to discuss the "big 4" English soaps but what smaller scale, lesser publicised soaps do you like watching or have you watched in the past? Both long running or short lived. Like the regional ones in the UK or some of the foreign imports we've enjoyed in the past. My favourites are ITV's Night and Day which launched in a blaze of publicity before being buried in the late night schedule to die and similarly BBC's Aussie soaps Breakers and Out of the Blue. I loved both of them but they were shunted around the schedules a lot. Luckily TV3 in Ireland aired Breakers more or less uninterrupted during it's two year run. Below is a list of some of the soaps I'm talking about to jog people's memories.

River City
    Pobl y Cwm
    Rownd a Rownd
    Shortland Street
    Ros na Rún - Irish language soap aired on TG4
    Take the High Road \ High Road

And a few for the slightly older forum members.

All Saints - Aussie medical soap from the 00's. BBC One ran it in a daytime slot and TV3 aired it in Ireland. I think Living aired it too. Ran for 12 years although I'm unsure if just how many episodes we got in the UK and Ireland.

London Bridge - ITV soap that ran from 1996-99. Rarely remembered as it was pretty ropey but it used to beat Hollyoaks in the ratings.

Canary Wharf - cable channel L!VE TV's soap about the staff of a cable channel. Made on a shoestring budget but featured various actors who later graduated to the likes of EE, ED, Casualty and Bad Girls.

Pacific Drive - Aussie soap that aired on Sky One in the 90's

E Street - another Aussie soap that aired for nearly five years in the 90's. It was so popular at one point, when Neighbours was rating poorly in the early 90's, Network Ten considered axing it and expanding E Street but plans never came to fruition.

Santa Barbara - US soap that ran for 12 years in the 80's\90's on both ITV and Sky One. Kind of like a forerunner to Sunset Beach.

Great post :)

My fave not well know soap is Pobol Y Cwm. I watch Rownd a Rownd too, but I forget about it and miss episodes online. I still manage to keep up to date though.

I absolutely LOVE All Saints. I`m watching season 5 now, and it`s just brilliant. There have been many times when I`ve put All Saints ahead of even watching Corrie and Emmerdale.
    :)
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone remember a soap on BBC1 back in the mid 90s, I think it was called Castles and I remember it running a couple of days a week at about 7pm, there was also Tiger Bay that I recall used to run at 8.30 on a Monday night after EE, these were both short lived and I have never heard anyone ever mention them but I am sure they do both exist.
  • Options
    mashamoto79mashamoto79 Posts: 2,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Shortland Street. Although this year has sucked badly.

- Axing veteran Sarah so TK can get his leg over more young women
    - Rachel allowing Chris to father a child with Grace Kwan
    - Dayna and Kane staying with the Coopers just to keep Murray and Wendy relevant.
    - Douche, immature Vinnie and idiotic hypocrite Nicole making a baby.
    - Ula being a moody bratty bitch still.
    - Garrett and Harper. Just no.
    - Too many teens without parents and no hospital affiliation

The Sarah death was a very bad decision for the sake of THE big summer story line. The actress was axed for this and when you look at the replacements then you can only laugh.

There are way too many irritating characters on screen atm including Clementine, Bella, Ula, Garrett and Dayna. Lucy could be joining them soon.

I dread to think what the Christmas cliffhanger will be this year.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh there were lots of American trashy soaps I loved in the 90s.....Melrose Place, Pacific Palisades, Savannah, etc.