Destiny

fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
Forum Member
✭✭
The media embargo for the game just lifted, meaning a new video and previews aplenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeDaevD7cEo

I was a big fan of Halo when it first came out (until it was mercilessly milked to death) so I'm looking forward to seeing what Bungie can do with a fresh franchise.

Due September 9th 2014 on PS3, PS4, Xbox 360 and Xbox One.

Comments

• samcains90samcains90 Posts: 4,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't look that good. Looks like a cross between Borderlands and Killzone.

Was expecting something a bit different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet another FPS. How boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah its exactly like all those old always online console shooters that we played last gen, oh wait....

I'm keeping an eye on this one but will probably get it for christmas or let someone else in my house get it, to many games come out that time of year to risk £45+ on a new IP
  • SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not an FPS fan, but I was hoping for something with the wow factor when Destiny was announced. It looks pretty average if I'm honest.
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of those weapons take up half the screen, no wonder it's not coming to PC.

Narrator sounds like Cedric Daniels.
  • VegetaVegeta Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does look like a generic fps game. Although the selling point of the game for me would have to be MMO experience they have talked about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    samcains90 wrote: »
    Doesn't look that good. Looks like a cross between Borderlands and Killzone.

Was expecting something a bit different.

That is not a bad thing!

I like both of those series!
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    The main problem I see for Destiny is that Planet Side when it arrives on the PS could kill it off and the "Division" plays very similar.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I never knew DS had so many people here who had played Destiny ;)
    Forum Member
    I haven't but am on the Beta test when it becomes available and have been following it for nearly a year.
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got to say, I've been looking forward to Destiny since it was announced but that video just left me cold.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alpha gameplay gifs: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=115114126&postcount=8, also links to footage in that post.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks crap. I presume this is what VMC were getting testers for on this forum?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gunplay looks incredibly generic. But alpha is alpha (...).

Dev had this to say about Destiny:
    First, Destiny is structured into Activities.

We've attempted to build a suite of activities that can suit a variety of moods (I want something challenging! I want to chill out with my friends! I want to see where the story goes next! I want to shoot other players!, I want the game to be a cruel dominatrix! et cetera)

These activities come in a bunch of flavors:
    Story missions - soloable activities (you can still play them in groups of up to 3!), often with ties to the main story arc of Destiny (the campaign). These activities appear at various Levels (numerical, relative to the player) and choosing a higher level (relative to you) means you're opting in for some additional challenge.
    Strikes - 3 player activities, with bosses and loot at the end. Their goal is a highly replayable activity that will - at higher levels - lead you into the loot game.
    Explore - cruise around the surface of a planet in Fireteams of up to 3, taking odd jobs and tasks for the City. You can find minerals and resources out in the world that you'll have some use for as you find weapons in Destiny that you want to stick with. This is a lower intensity activity
    Raids - 6 player, cooperative required, communication required gameplay. High challenge. We haven't talked much about this yet and I'm not going start that conversation here on NeoGAF
    Multiplayer This is for the "shoot other players" mood.

Now, the second part is how the world has been built.

We've structured Destiny's world to have places where you will probably intersect with other players, and places where you won't. We're not going to have players drop into the climax of a mission, but the common landing zones for a given planet? That seems like a great place to see other players running amok in the world.

EDIT: Regardless of what activity you're playing (PVP aside), you'll see players on their own activities, i.e., players beginning a Strike might see a guy collecting Relic Iron on Mars, and a Public Event begins and suddenly everyone is distracted to take down a key Cabal target for a chance at powerful gear and materials to upgrade your best weapons and armor.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Anyone else received a code for the beta? Starts in July. I got one for pre-ordering from Amazon.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Anyone else received a code for the beta? Starts in July. I got one for pre-ordering from Amazon.

got my code :)
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got my beta code. Looking forward to seeing what they've done with this.
  • AkimboGeordieAkimboGeordie Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I have mine from shopto.
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not got mine yet and I ordered from Zavvi who confirmed you would get a code. :(
    Forum Member
    Got mine yesterday from Amazon
  • Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Got my code today from Amazon.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got 2 codes as I pre-ordered on both consoles. I'll make a decision on which to keep later on in the year.

Anyone know if the codes are platform specific or just generic?
    If they are generic anyone wants my spare code PM me. First come, first served.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Destiny now expected to run at 1080p/30fps on both consoles according to Bungie, after Microsoft freed up that 10% of the Xbox One's GPU bandwidth previously reserved strictly for Kinect. Previously it was expected the Xbox One version would run at a lower resolution.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-09-destinys-xbox-one-resolution-raised-after-kinect-gpu-reserve-removal?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph
    Forum Member
    Watching the 30min Alpha play through this morning, looks good IMO, hopefully will get Alpha access this weekend.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone preorder with Game and get their code? I haven't been sent mine :(