Neighbours fence - Am I right to be annoyed?

1235»

Comments

• Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Cheers for all the info guys - actually learnt quite a bit from this thread, about a subject I'd never given much thought before lol

I think the first port of call is to give the landlord a call, explain the situation, and see what they have to say. If need be, and the deeds do state that a fence must be there, then it will be fair game to ask them to put one back up.

I still think it's rather cheeky to just pull it down and leave it down though, but hey ho - I'm sure it will get sorted in the end :)
  • blgsmrssblgsmrss Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I had a similar situation to the OP at the last property I was renting. The neighbours (who I got on with quite well) decided to remove the overgrowing ivy on their side of the fence, which they claimed was "holding the fence up". This left my fence bowing over into my garden. I reported it to the landlord, who couldn't have been more disinterested, and said that he could either remove it completely, leave it as is, or would try to come to an arrangement with the neighbours. They were uninterested in forking out for a fence that wasn't theirs (rightly so), but I couldn't live with only having half a garden and being overlooked, so I got a mate to help me erect a new fence. A couple hundred quid and a day's hard work sorted it. I never did get my money back from the landlord, but I was also really disappointed with the neighbours not speaking to me about the fence initially. So OP I feel your pain, and I think you are right to be annoyed.