Options

USA Visa advise needed

andybno1andybno1 Posts: 6,142
Forum Member
Hi,

traveling to new york in february and just wondering what we need to do with getting visa sorted? Being told by Girlfriend's dad it's free but when looking on internet I'm seeing fee to be paid and I am getting lost with what to do.

Anyone able to help with this little pickle of dilemma?

Comments

• Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you need a ESTA - takes a few mins online and cost $14
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    to add to the£9 charge it also lasts 2 years
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make sure you get the official US government site rather than a lookalike. They still usually get you the ESTA, but cost more...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    does it matter if we are just going for 4 nights?
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    andybno1 wrote: »
    does it matter if we are just going for 4 nights?

Yes you will need the ESTA approval for entry regardless of duration of stay
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FortyTwo25 wrote: »
    Yes you will need the ESTA approval for entry regardless of duration of stay
    cheers will look in to it
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

The assumption is that you are a citizen of a country eligible for the Visa Waiver Program and that you meet the criteria for using the program.

If you fail either then you have to get a visa
  • Options
    dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be aware that if you have almost any convictions you will need a visa which is expensive and can take a couple of months and an interview at the US embassy
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without an Esta or visa, you won't even be allowed to board the plane - or if you do, you'll be put back on it to come immediately home again! Never fuss with US customs (though I admit to smiling when I watch on TV the Canadian customs people giving the Americans a hard time - revenge is sweet!)
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be aware that if you have almost any convictions you will need a visa which is expensive and can take a couple of months and an interview at the US embassy

Probably more like 6 months.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    Without an Esta or visa, you won't even be allowed to board the plane - or if you do, you'll be put back on it to come immediately home again! Never fuss with US customs (though I admit to smiling when I watch on TV the Canadian customs people giving the Americans a hard time - revenge is sweet!)

Very true and it's called a Visa Waiver, because you are agreeing to waiver your rights on arrival into the US.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member

I have always understood that any one having a criminal record will be refused a visa or entry to the US - Are there exceptions ?
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    I have always understood that any one having a criminal record will be refused a visa or entry to the US - Are there exceptions ?

I think it depends on the crime, when it was and if the person is classed as a danger to others.

If a criminal record meant an immediate no, then surely there wouldnt be the option of the embassy meeting to discuss it in person. Thats how ive always believed it to be.
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I think it depends on the crime, when it was and if the person is classed as a danger to others.

If a criminal record meant an immediate no, then surely there wouldnt be the option of the embassy meeting to discuss it in person. Thats how ive always believed it to be.

Sounds reasonable, Thanks
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    The phrase is moral turpitude which generally means drugs, property theft but not all forms of violent attack.

It also refers to all arrests and cautions - and you must declare spent offences
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member

Most criminal records will just require a visit to the embassy to get a visa. Takes a couple of months to get an appointment.

Some records (drug possession, etc) will make you “permanently ineligible” to get a visa. Often in this case you can then apply for a “waiver of permanent ineligibility” and be granted a visa anyway. This can take 6 months+, but doesn’t cost any more.
  • Options
    StockingsStockings Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Just ask Nigella Lawson.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

Yes lots of them. James in the Apprentice has a conviction for assault yet managed to get a working visa for New York.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    And to be clear an ESTA is a right to travel, not a right to enter. You may/will still be asked some questions when you arrive, standard stuff things like how long, purpose of visit etc. I nearly always get stopped because I have a Gambian and Balai stamps in my passport.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    andybno1 wrote: »
    Hi,

traveling to new york in february and just wondering what we need to do with getting visa sorted? Being told by Girlfriend's dad it's free but when looking on internet I'm seeing fee to be paid and I am getting lost with what to do.

Anyone able to help with this little pickle of dilemma?

My friend was in New York last summer, ESTA done on the internet for $ 14 for 90 days and could visit the United States. Tour with tickets bought through http://tripvariator.co.uk/ , everything what you need you can get there. She was stay in NYLO New York City. It was no cheap,but it's beautiful location,almost downtown and everything close
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You get the Spanish Inqusition from the customs officer when you land, or at least I did when I went back in July! It's a bit intimidating really, especially as I was both tired and nervous at the time, and then I had my suitcase searched too! You just have to let them get on with it though.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    It's always scary going though customs and you don't mess with them . Last time I was in U.S I watched a young guy get pulled and it looked like he was not going to be allowed in the country as he had all his paper work out and was being grilled for about 25 mins whilest I was queuing .
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Actually there are very few exceptions when it comes to the ESTA. I know people with a drunk driving conviction from 15 years ago who have to get a visa if they want to enter the US.

Basically, any criminal conviction means you are not eligible for the visa waiver scheme.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    The main thing when you get there is that they want to know where you are staying for the first night. So make sure you have somewhere booked and you know the full address.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Done ESTA and the Visa Waiver many times, you'll get through immigration OK if you keep your answers believable, short and TRUTHFUL , have an address for your first night's accommodation and show that you've got a return ticket.

If you say you're staying with your half step sister in Wyoming and you're not quite sure when you're flying back, be prepared for a longish interview.