Shadow Of A Doubt

manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just finished watching Hitchcock's Shadow Of A Doubt on BBC2. I hadn't seen the movie for a while but thoroughly enjoyed it. Arguably Joseph Cotten's finest performance.

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the only three Hitchcock films I really like. It especially helps that Joseph Cotten is in it. I didn't know it was on TV, though. Hope it'll appear on iPlayer. Thanks for the heads up.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished watching that myself. I thought Teresa Wright as Young Charlie was extremely good as well. I notice she was also in The Best Years of Our Lives a few years later.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    A superb film. It's sort of often overlooked in Hitchcock's canon of work. Joseph Cotten is amazing as Uncle Charlie. It's great how it takes a look at small town suburbia in the US and twists it.
  • rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Isn't Joseph Cotten's role in The Third Man his definitive performance?
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Isn't Joseph Cotten's role in The Third Man his definitive performance?

Probably, but that being said, he had other memorable performance - Citizen Kane, Shadow of a Doubt, etc.
  • rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Considering that Citizen Kane was his movie debut his performance was so assured. He was one of those actors that seemed fully formed right from the start. A bit like Sydney Greenstreet.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    Interesting to read that it was Hitchcock's personal favourite of all of his films.

Frenzy, one of my own favourite Hitchcock's is on BBC2 at 12.am tonight. :)
  • manderleymanderley Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to read that it was Hitchcock's personal favourite of all of his films.

Frenzy, one of my own favourite Hitchcock's is on BBC2 at 12.am tonight. :)

I haven't seen Frenzy since it was released in 1972, interesting cast including Jon Finch, Barry Foster and the late Billie Whitelaw. I can't say that it was one of my favourite Hitchcock movies but I will record tonight and give it another chance.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Suspicious which was on a few nights ago