Options

Jim Carrey films

Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was re-watching the cable guy last night . I think it's jim carreys best ever role so it got me thinking what are your favourite and least favourite films of his mine are

Favourites
The cable guy
The Truman show
I love you phillip Morris
The Mask
The incredible burt wonderstone
A Christmas carol
Batman forever

Least favourite

The number 23

Fun with dick and jane

Dumb and dumber

Comments

• Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    My Jim Carrey faves are

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
    I love you philip morris
    A series of unfortunate events
    The yes man

I used to like Ace Ventura and The Mask, still do I suppose for a bit of fun :-)
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everything right up to Eternal sunshine of a spotless mind was for me when Jim Carey kicked ass. He was consistent and normally even better than the script. His films since then haven't not only been poor and forgettable, but his performances come across as trying to hard and unfunny.

His best performances for me are The Truman Show and Man on the moon. Both were dark comedies that showed he could do dramatic work as well, and also both won him golden globes.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Truman show and Man on the moon were incredible IMO, but I did really enjoy Dumb and dumber too, he is much under rated.
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liar Liar
    Yes Man
    Dumb and Dumber
    Both Ace Ventura films
    The Mask

All good fun comedies. He did a great job in The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine as well.

Wasn't so keen on Bruce Almighty, Me Myself and Irene or Fun with Dick and Jane
  • Options
    BarbraBarbra Posts: 15,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mask
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could never connect with him, which has me avoiding most of his later films. This means I saw only a handful.

The first I saw him was The Dead Pool in which he appeared as a bad-tempered rock star. He was so over the top that it was impossible not to notice him. I think the only films I didn't mind him so much were Truman Show and Man on the Moon, but I still couldn't shake off a feeling of irritation towards him.

The only ones I've seen in order of likeability (or rather, tolerance):

Man on the Moon
    Truman Show
    The Mask
    The Dead Pool
    Batman Forever
    - don't count: Peggy Sue Got Married (I don't remember seeing him in this)
    - don't count: Once Bitten (don't remember him here either)
    - don't count: Earth Girls Are Easy (ditto)
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I could never connect with him, which has me avoiding most of his later films. This means I saw only a handful.

The first I saw him was The Dead Pool in which he appeared as a bad-tempered rock star. He was so over the top that it was impossible not to notice him. I think the only films I didn't mind him so much were Truman Show and Man on the Moon, but I still couldn't shake off a feeling of irritation towards him.

The only ones I've seen in order of likeability (or rather, tolerance):

Man on the Moon
    Truman Show
    The Mask
    The Dead Pool
    Batman Forever
    - don't count: Peggy Sue Got Married (I don't remember seeing him in this)
    - don't count: Once Bitten (don't remember him here either)
    - don't count: Earth Girls Are Easy (ditto)

He actually has a bigger part in Peggy Sue... than in the Dead Pool, but it's not as flashy.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love The Truman Show and I thought he was great in I Love You Phillip Morris, even though I didn't enjoy the film that much - his performance was very good.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked The Truman Show, as it is the only film I have
    ever seen him in,where he does NOT do his annoying
    over the top 'look I'm so wacky' schtick, ala Eddie (once
    funny) Murphy.
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to love Jim Carrey, he can make you laugh with only a frantic flailing of his limbs
  • Options
    soda syphonsoda syphon Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    I generally can't abide Jim Carrey, but he was good in The Truman Show. He totally ruined A Series of Unfortunate Events - a complete and utter ham ! (for me, anyway!)
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really a fan of Jim Carrey...me, myself & Irene was probably my favourite. As for worst that is easy "The Cable Guy" only film I have walked out on at the cinema.
  • Options
    moviesmanmoviesman Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Not really a Carrey fan but he is good in a film called The Majestic also with the great Martin Landau.
  • Options
    AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never seen any of his films as in every clip/trailer he's playing the same goon/gurner and I want to get away from people like that when I go to the cinema. I want to be lifted not reminded of the morons out there.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    He actually has a bigger part in Peggy Sue... than in the Dead Pool, but it's not as flashy.

I was surprised when someone told me he was one of the three friends. I couldn't recall him at all. It was a massive dent to my pride. I'm usually good at recognising faces a.k.a. one of those saddos that says "Oh, I know that one. S/he was from [earlier film]." :D
  • Options
    D. MorganD. Morgan Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say, I am a massive 90's Jim Carrey fan!

My favourites:

Dumb and Dumber
    The Mask
    Ace Ventura 1 & 2
    The Grinch
    Liar Liar

At the top of his game, he was rather brilliant (still is).
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I pretty much like all of his movies but two of my all time favourites are

Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and The Truman Show.
  • Options
    Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1994 was his best year with Ace Ventura, The Mask and Dumb and Dumber. That was when i discovered him. My Faves after the ones mentioned above are

the cable guy
    The Truman Show
    The Grinch
    A Christmas Carol.
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me The Trueman Show just edges The Mask,then
    Bruce Almighty
    Liar Liar
    Dumb and Dumber.

I was never a fan of the Ace Ventura films,and as for Man on the Moon-I don't think that I have ever seen it!