Just bought a digital version of a game tied to an xbox account

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
Forum Member
✭✭
It's a fresh account used only to pin the game to.

You then get all the account details and a verification email for the main microsoft account.

You then make the accounts home on your xbox and you can download the game and play it using your original account.

Anyway, I'm now slightly concerned by this.

I bought this game/account through a legitimate website, used paypal to but it etc etc.

However, the microsoft account says the game cost $60 + $4.19 in tax.

I paid £29 for the game.

The website claims they buy these games in regions where it is less than in the UK and then pass the saving on to the consumer (minus their cut obviously).

How have they saved anywhere?

Had a look at the login details on the microsoft account and it was set up in canada and only logged into 4 times before. all the same place.

The billing address is in the usa (new jersey) but the name and address don't match up according to my basic googling. The address and Zip code do though.

The only thing i can think is that someone has bought it, downloaded it and then sold it on.

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember someone asking about something like that recently... can't remember if it was here or not.

To me, the whole thing looks dodgy. I'd rather just buy cheap *credit*, and then use my own account to buy the games, even if it costs more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's whether the account I bought has been used in a dodgy way that I'm worried about now.

I'm a little bit worried that someone has used a stolen credit card to put the game on the account.

They then flog the accounts to the website who in turn sell it on to me.

When I looked on the Microsoft account i was expecting to see it had been bought using vouchers in some far flung part of Asia. When I saw visa in the USA I shit myself a bit.

Unless it is some sort of cashback thing or maybe a currency exchange thing i have no idea how the maths work out for them turning a profit unless it's never been your money in the first place.

The actual xbox accounts aren't hacked or stolen as the game you buy is the only thing on it.

This might well be 100% legit and looking at the website I'd be slightly surprised if it wasn't.

If they don't offer a satisfactory explanation though I'll probably have to talk to the police just incase.
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a little clarification please, your OP is slightly confusing.

You wanted to buy game X but you didn't want to pay the price on the dashboard. You went to a website that would sell you a MS account with the game pre-bought onto it? You would then load the account onto your xbox and since your xbox was the first one the account was loaded to then that would mean anybody could play the game on any account?

Im assuming the above is correct, and now you are worried that game may have been purchased with a stolen credit card etc?

What was the site called? Simply put everything depends on the credibility of the site. If it was bought with a stolen card, assuming MS havant changed policy since the 360 days, When the person reports their card stolen then your console will be banned for life (thats a cert) and your own account too possibly, and you will not have any recourse. It doesn't matter what you tell them or what you think you will them. It will be banned and you wont unban it.

If the site is legit then you shouldn't have much to worry about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The site is 100% legit apparently.

cjs-cdkeys.com

http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/categories/XBOX-One-Games-%28Digital-Downloads%29/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruthus wrote: »

Ah looks ok.

Price differences in regions along with the exchange rate makes it possible, and profitable.

Just a note though, if your machine breaks in anyway then you the only way to access the game is with that "bought" account. The rule used to be (on the 360, I don't know if they changed it) the account that buys it and the first machine its downloaded to has unlimited access. But if that machine breaks (they all do eventually) the only way to play that game will be on that "bought" account. You could redownload it to your new machine but only the "bought" account can play it. Well thats the way it was on the 360, if its changed I'm sure somebody will say.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheers Speedloafer, I was getting a little bit twitchy for a bit worrying I might need a lawyer or something.

Don't think I'll be buying games like this again as it's just a bit too dodgy.

Infact, having read what I've read about account and console bannings I don't think I'm going to spend another penny on digital just incase.

Surely that stuff can't be legal here in the uk with consumer rights and whatnot:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers Speedloafer, I was getting a little bit twitchy for a bit worrying I might need a lawyer or something.

Don't think I'll be buying games like this again as it's just a bit too dodgy.

Infact, having read what I've read about account and console bannings I don't think I'm going to spend another penny on digital just incase.

Surely that stuff can't be legal here in the uk with consumer rights and whatnot:o

The buying or the banning?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The banning.

I'm no expert in consumer rights but i'm sure it doesn't wash over here.

They can ban your xbox and account and block you from playing all the games you've bought if you try to fix the console yourself if/when it breaks.

They ban kids and lock them out of all their games for being 'annoying' on line.

That's bordering on criminal.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "bordering on criminal"? Really?

It's their service, and if you want to use their service you have to agree to the terms and conditions.

No going online with a console that could have been tampered with, no abusing other people on Xbox Live, no fraud, etc. etc.

As for buying and selling actual accounts... Still looks dodgy to me, no matter how "100% legit" that site allegedly is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    "bordering on criminal"? Really?

It's their service, and if you want to use their service you have to agree to the terms and conditions.

No going online with a console that could have been tampered with, no abusing other people on Xbox Live, no fraud, etc. etc.

As for buying and selling actual accounts... Still looks dodgy to me, no matter how "100% legit" that site allegedly is.

So if your xbox 360 disc tray got stuck you wouldn't have tried to fix it yourself and then go back onilne?

Have you never swore when playing a game?

Obviously I agree with you about that site as it's made me feel very nervous. I was up all night reading about it and it is definitely a genuine site, the guy who owns it is reasonably well known from what i can gather so I would be very very surprised if it was anything dodgy in a legal sense.

I presume he's had lawyers check this stuff out before going ahead with it. He even makes a point of saying it's legal on the website.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    I guess you dont care reading the End User License Agreement then OP?

You can say it's borderline criminal, but you clicked on Agree, didnt you?

I hope you get banned, by the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dan27 wrote: »

You are nearly 40 years old and you are hoping somebody gets banned for cursing at a video game? You are pathetic.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The banning.

I'm no expert in consumer rights but i'm sure it doesn't wash over here.

They can ban your xbox and account and block you from playing all the games you've bought if you try to fix the console yourself if/when it breaks.

They ban kids and lock them out of all their games for being 'annoying' on line.

That's bordering on criminal.

You haven't bought the games. You have purchased a licence to play them, a licence that can be removed if you break the rules.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't even know there was one to be honest.

I don't think it's a very honest business model to make people pay for things that you can then take away.

I will no longer be purchasing things direct from the microsoft store and handing over my money to the games publishers any longer, if i want cheap games from now on I'll buy them second hand from ebay and other such hard copy distribution platforms,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    You haven't bought the games. You have purchased a licence to play them, a licence that can be removed if you break the rules.

I will only be buying hard copies of games from now on.

I have learned my lesson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will only be buying hard copies of games from now on.

I have learned my lesson.

It's actually the same for hard copies. Break the rules and you can be banned on a hard copy game too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're telling me they can me from playing games i own the disc for :D

What do they do? Put some sort of virus into the xbox that tells it to scratch up all your discs?

Anyway, I can take a disc game back or flog it on ebay.
    Forum Member
    You are nearly 40 years old and you are hoping somebody gets banned for cursing at a video game? You are pathetic.

Cursing? What are you on about?

If it's against EULA, you should be banned for account sharing. Get over it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're telling me they can me from playing games i own the disc for :D

What do they do? Put some sort of virus into the xbox that tells it to scratch up all your discs?

Anyway, I can take a disc game back or flog it on ebay.
    Not sure, I think they ban your console, all software has a licence, it's this you buy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Not sure, I think they ban your console, all software has a licence, it's this you buy.

They destroy or block the software that the xbox one uses to play games or something?

I honestly thought an xbox live ban meant you got banned from playing games online and talking in parties or whatever.

I didn't think they sent the digital boys round to smash up all your e-stuff:o
    Forum Member
    You can also have your console's MAC (network hardware address) banned from Xbox Live. Not just an account. MS do it frequently when it comes to hackers.

If you are caught by them, I would imagine they would ban your account. This means that your digital purchases will be removed, and you would need to spend a lot more money to rebuy them than you saved on getting this game via the account share method. This is entirely up to them, and legal as you accepted their End User License Agreement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Can i see your BooBZ":D
    You can also have your console's MAC (network hardware address) banned from Xbox Live. Not just an account. MS do it frequently when it comes to hackers.

If you are caught by them, I would imagine they would ban your account. This means that your digital purchases will be removed, and you would need to spend a lot more money to rebuy them than you saved on getting this game via the account share method. This is entirely up to them, and legal as you accepted their End User License Agreement.

Maybe, maybe not, the UK has pretty strict consumer rights laws to protect idiots like me. Pretty sure I could get my money back on any and all licenses that they revoke.

I'm sure the EU would back me up as well.

On what planet can they keep your money if they take back or cancel the license?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Can i see your BooBZ":D

Maybe, maybe not, the UK has pretty strict consumer rights laws to protect idiots like me. Pretty sure I could get my money back on any and all licenses that they revoke.

I'm sure the EU would back me up as well.

On what planet can they keep your money if they take back or cancel the license?

It's a contract. You agree to the terms, if you break the terms of that contract you are, well, in breach of contract. These companies have lawyers who draft these things. You would have no hope challenging it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're telling me I'm expected to read through and understand complex contracts that have been drafted by lawyers if I want to purchase computer games.

No wonder so many people still pirate stuff.

Seems like the safer option all round.