BTV with out Bt line

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,838
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As people on here will know or some anyway, BT told me that I could not get BTV because I don't pay line rental to BT.

Now last night I had a phone call from a mate who is looking at getting BTV and is at the moment paying line rental to BT but want to change to another supplier. If he got BTV and then changed over his phone line to this other supplier, would it stop BTV working?

He is still going to use Bt for broadband.

Surly there have been people who have changed phone services and still use BTV?

anyone knows?

thanks peoples.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to have bt bb to have btv, the vision box plugs iton the hub for one thing to get all the downloads and epg stuff from. When I took out btv on a special offer if i extended the btbb there was no question about the phone line.
    Its probably more a question of can you have btbb with out having a bt phone line.
    Its probably one of those situations that you have to start with BT and can then migrate away from it and be able to keep btv etc but you wouldn't be able to get it with out having the full range of their services in the first place.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    I just swithced to Sky talk and my BT Vision still works ok. I also have BT Broadband.
  • wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willow1971 wrote: »
    I just swithced to Sky talk and my BT Vision still works ok. I also have BT Broadband.

But who do you pay your line rental to ?.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paddysu wrote: »
    You have to have bt bb to have btv, the vision box plugs iton the hub for one thing to get all the downloads and epg stuff from. When I took out btv on a special offer if i extended the btbb there was no question about the phone line.
    Its probably more a question of can you have btbb with out having a bt phone line.
    Its probably one of those situations that you have to start with BT and can then migrate away from it and be able to keep btv etc but you wouldn't be able to get it with out having the full range of their services in the first place.

They already have got BTBB and at the moment is paying Bt line rental, but want to change phone companies.

I have BTBB, but my line rental is paid to one Bill as I use them for my phone, because of this Bt will not let me have BTV. so you can get BTBB if you are with a different phone supplier as long as the phone line have not been unbundled or you not on cable.

Mate wants to change to (spit) Talk Talk for phone as he think it will save his family money, but he is thinking of going to Sky ot BTV. If he would not be able to use BTV with Talk Talk then he will go for Sky.

Remember this is voice calls only and not broadband.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    willow1971 wrote: »

As wwwebber says, who do you pay your line rental to, BT or Sky?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    You'd think it was in BTs interest to allow anyone with broadband to have BT vision, but charge a few quid a month subscription to anyone who is not with BT Broadband. This would allow additional revenue from pay per view.

I also notice that on the FAQ the answer to the "Can I still use Freeview if I cancel my BT Broadband" question has changed from the "not yet, but we will have a firmare update by the end of the year which will allow this" it was a couple of years ago, to "No, not at the moment".

There seems to be a level of backpeddling going on.
  • littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guilbo wrote: »
    You'd think it was in BTs interest to allow anyone with broadband to have BT vision, but charge a few quid a month subscription to anyone who is not with BT Broadband. This would allow additional revenue from pay per view.

Not really. If you want to deliver reliable streaming video then you have to you to have control of the network that its being delivered over
  • iniltousiniltous Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have BT line rental and move your calls to a CPS supplier then that shouldnt affect BTBB and BTV, if you pay line rental to another Telco using WLR then again shouldnt cause any problems ( although a lot of Telcos will only want your combined telephony/broadband business)
    the problem may occur if you call another company and want to transfer your line rental to them, and that company has their own LLU equipment in the exchange then you may be transfered onto their LLU equipment and this would by default disconnect you from BTBB and BTV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iniltous wrote: »
    If you have BT line rental and move your calls to a CPS supplier then that shouldnt affect BTBB and BTV, if you pay line rental to another Telco using WLR then again shouldnt cause any problems ( although a lot of Telcos will only want your combined telephony/broadband business)
    the problem may occur if you call another company and want to transfer your line rental to them, and that company has their own LLU equipment in the exchange then you may be transfered onto their LLU equipment and this would by default disconnect you from BTBB and BTV.

I can understand if the change is a LLU equipment, but how many phone service supplies use that just for telephone?

Most telcos will give you voice only, after all you may not even want or need broadband.
    I showed them this thread, but they think it may be a risk if they got BT viosion and then found out it did not work as they would be paying for a service they could not use. what they are thinking of doing is getting BTvision, going over to the post office for the phone for a few months and see what happens as the post office is only a monthly contract.

I can't see why BT have to be so stubborn if there is no technical reasoin why BT vision will not work if a user is on WLR. I could have had BTvision a while back and I know other people who could have, but now BT have lost those sales as they have gone to Sky.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    guilbo wrote: »

BT wouldn't be allowed to do that by OFCOM as it would be deemed anti-competitive. You cannot charge one supplier (ie BT Broadband) one thing and someone else (ie AOL, Tiscali etc) another - even if they use a BT landline to provide their broadband service.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    BT wouldn't be allowed to do that by OFCOM as it would be deemed anti-competitive. You cannot charge one supplier (ie BT Broadband) one thing and someone else (ie AOL, Tiscali etc) another - even if they use a BT landline to provide their broadband service.

Well depends on the new terms that Ofcom allow BT to bundle services on from now on then.

Ofcom as part of the stripping of regulation upon BT give BT the ability to do bundles then you could see some sense in BT being able to offer Phone, Broadband, Vision and Mobile/Anywhere service at a cheaper price and thus if you only took one or two of the options you would pay more and then it might make sense to provide Vision seperate to a BT broadband but at a higher price.
  • MatterhornMatterhorn Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had my line rental with someone else and before getting b/band and vision I had to move the line across.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matterhorn wrote: »
    I had my line rental with someone else and before getting b/band and vision I had to move the line across.

You don't need to move it across for broadband, I have Bt broadband, but I don't pay rental to BT. I know they won't allow you to have BT vision if you don't pay line rental to BT. Had another call from my6 mate this evening just after I come home from work, he said thanks for trying to get the info, but he have no decided to tell Bt where to go and will now change eveything over to Sky.

So because Bt is being stubborn they have lost a customer. One of the reasons I will not get BT visiuon is because Bt wants me to move to their phone line and I am not doing that. so they lost two customers, I wonder how many more they have lost because they are so stubborn?

No one on here have still not told me if it makes any difference if they change to another phjone provider after they got BT Vision? I bet it would still work, surly someone in this country must have changed pohone providers and still keep Bt vision and Bt broadband.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    So because Bt is being stubborn they have lost a customer. One of the reasons I will not get BT visiuon is because Bt wants me to move to their phone line and I am not doing that. so they lost two customers, I wonder how many more they have lost because they are so stubborn?

BT aren't being stubborn. Under their current licence (thanks to OFCOM) they are not allowed to offer Vision to customers who do not have a BT line.

The view from OFCOM is that if BT offer Vision to anyone regardless of whether they have a BT line or not it would kill off any possible competition with other providers.

If you have a beef, you need to take it up with the regulator. It's them thats stopping you having BTV on any line.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT aren't being stubborn. Under their current licence (thanks to OFCOM) they are not allowed to offer Vision to customers who do not have a BT line.

The view from OFCOM is that if BT offer Vision to anyone regardless of whether they have a BT line or not it would kill off any possible competition with other providers.

If you have a beef, you need to take it up with the regulator. It's them thats stopping you having BTV on any line.

The line is still BT, it was put in by BT, well the post office and it still goes to the same place as any other Bt line goes to, the only difference is the rental is paid to another company. I think not allowing people to have BT vision if using another phone service can kill of competition.

Person want BT Vision, got Bt broadband, but don't pay line rental to Bt, so to get BT vision they have to leave their old phone supplier, so BT get another customer.

Ofcom is really a waste of flaming time.
  • wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    The line is still BT, it was put in by BT, well the post office and it still goes to the same place as any other Bt line goes to, the only difference is the rental is paid to another company. I think not allowing people to have BT vision if using another phone service can kill of competition.

Person want BT Vision, got Bt broadband, but don't pay line rental to Bt, so to get BT vision they have to leave their old phone supplier, so BT get another customer.

Ofcom is really a waste of flaming time.

Noise in "not impressed with OFCOM either" shocker :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Matterhorn wrote: »
    It is not true for BT BB however, I have customers with BT BB paying their Line Rental to another SP.