Legendary character returning to EastEnders played by a new Actor (Merged)

Comments

• lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "You ain't my mother" is not the most iconic soap scene ever. Not by a long shot. Michelle Ryan was also a very limited actress, so I'm not sure why recasting Zoe would be downgrade. There's much better actresses out there.

Michelle Ryan is outstanding?!:O and lol I know it probably isn't, it has been voted a lot of times though, and it's a very memorable scene!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lou_123 wrote: »
    I know! I do like the Carter's (some anyway), but it's silly how the Slater's/Moon's have been kicked out of the pub and majorly underused this year! And DTC's precious Carter's have been involved in almost everything! The Slater's/Moon's are MUCH more popular, than the Carter's! Their storylines are over in like a week, and then they don't appear on screen for about 2/3 weeks! You watch when the Carter's get their storyline, they will be in EVERY single episode, and have about 183848282773828183 duff duffs! They've been in every episode since David's departure, I think!!! There's been about 3 Carter centric episodes! Ffs they've not even been there a year!

Getting Kat and Alfie out of The Vic was something that was needed to be done. But I never expected both characters to be underused to this extent. I was optimistic about this fire storyline but the aftermath hasn't been executed well because Kat's scenes have been minimal at best.

No doubt when Linda's rape storyline next week, every episode up until Christmas will be devoted to that storyline while Kat's storyline might be picked up every now and then.
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Ryan is a ****ing disgrace to EastEnders. She has done nothing but insult the actors in it since leaving with her comments about it just being a training ground that she wants to forget. Compare that to someone like James Alexandrou who is still very passionate about the show and has said his return will be a when, not if.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it is not!

It doesn't even come close to Den and Angie, Sharongate or Who Shot JR.

Michelle Ryan is also a very limited actress who has no respect for EastEnders or the actors in it. Her comments have been a disgrace and she should never be invited back. I hate recasts but a Zoe recast is one I would endorse.

That's debatable.
  • james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    That's debatable.

It really isn't. Even the many Rickaay's is more iconic. Who Shot Phil from the same year caused a power surge on the national grid. Even that had a bigger impact. Likewise with 'Hello Peggy, bet you never thought you'd see me again''
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they recast Martin it will be a ridiculous decision and it will really put me off DTC. James Alexandrou is Martin, he was there for eleven years and was involved in some of the highest profile storylines for many years. He was quite popular and is also a strong link to the shows best days and the original Eastenders family the Fowlers. A recast would wipe all that history out and he would seem just like a new character. James has also hinted that he may return in the future.
  • TellMeMoreTellMeMore Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urgh, must every thread turn into a Carter whinge-fest?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really isn't. Even the many Rickaay's is more iconic. Who Shot Phil from the same year caused a power surge on the national grid. Even that had a bigger impact. Likewise with 'Hello Peggy, bet you never thought you'd see me again''

It is the storyline that made Kat Slater an EE legend. Don't get me wrong I think Michelle Ryan is a mediocre actress and her character is nowhere near as important as some made her out to be. But Kat's legendary status is down to that storyline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    if Phil dies , maybe its some relative to him Lol otherwise why bring another actor/ress in ..so its Sam :D
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I'd rather like it to be a recast Chelsea. But I'm not sure that they'd call her a big character.
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it is not!

It doesn't even come close to Den and Angie, Sharongate or Who Shot JR.

Michelle Ryan is also a very limited actress who has no respect for EastEnders or the actors in it. Her comments have been a disgrace and she should never be invited back. I hate recasts but a Zoe recast is one I would endorse.

you are so wrong everyone remembers the you aint my muvva scene
  • zerotheherozerothehero Posts: 21,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about lisa? Didnt the actress say no to a full time return when she had the guest appearence a few years back
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaron1995 wrote: »
    It is the storyline that made Kat Slater an EE legend. Don't get me wrong I think Michelle Ryan is a mediocre actress and her character is nowhere near as important as some made her out to be. But Kat's legendary status is down to that storyline.

I agree with this. It's the biggest EE 'moment' of the noughties. Just amazing.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I love all those but I would have to respectfully disagree. It's not EE's biggest soap 'moment' but its certainly in the top ten, maybe even top 3.
  • V1Chris21V1Chris21 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be Jim? Or would that be a bit disrespectful?
  • Knives326Knives326 Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    cobwebsoup wrote: »
    If they recast Martin it will be a ridiculous decision and it will really put me off DTC. James Alexandrou is Martin, he was there for eleven years and was involved in some of the highest profile storylines for many years. He was quite popular and is also a strong link to the shows best days and the original Eastenders family the Fowlers. A recast would wipe all that history out and he would seem just like a new character. James has also hinted that he may return in the future.

Well said. It just wouldn't work. If they want Martin back, they should wait until he is available or not bother.

Zoe on the other hand has been gone long enough so I think they could get away with recasting her if they got someone of a good likeness. Not sure I'd call her a legendary character though.

Maybe this whole story is a clever bluff by the producers in an attempt to coax a potential returnee into signing on the dotted line by letting them know how easy they can be replaced.

Recasting any big character would just kill EE. I don't think a major recast has ever worked on a uk soap.
  • Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well she has that many accidents causing her to miss family events, one of them is bound to do for her one of these days :D
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Ryan is a ****ing disgrace to EastEnders. She has done nothing but insult the actors in it since leaving with her comments about it just being a training ground that she wants to forget. Compare that to someone like James Alexandrou who is still very passionate about the show and has said his return will be a when, not if.

Overreaction or what.

She said Eastenders was training for her and now she's moved on from it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Some people are happy being associated with one job/one place for a long time, others like to move on and do new things. Different strokes.
  • lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I oppose the idea of recasting Michelle Fowler however I can see the rationale behind it. It's been 19 years since 'Chelle was on our screens and Sue Tully won't return to the show. There is an entire generation of EastEnders fans who don't actually know who Michelle is or looks like. Also, Danielle Westbrook played Sam Mitchell for 10 years and then the character was recast 2 years later and went on to be very popular (I preferred Kim Medcalf to Westbrook actually). My solution with Michelle would be to kill her off and use it to bring back Martin, Vicki and Spencer and introduce Mark Jr.

Never ever kill her off. No just no. Too many original characters have been killed off.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    I love all those but I would have to respectfully disagree. It's not EE's biggest soap 'moment' but its certainly in the top ten, maybe even top 3.

Agree, it's one of the most iconic scenes/storylines of this last decade, I'm sure it was voted top something in one of those EE revealed programmes.

As for a Zoe recast again, I'm not against it, she been gone nine years and yes she pretty well know for the storyline and being a Slater but other then that she could be replaced.
  • lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knives326 wrote: »
    Well said. It just wouldn't work. If they want Martin back, they should wait until he is available or not bother.

Zoe on the other hand has been gone long enough so I think they could get away with recasting her if they got someone of a good likeness. Not sure I'd call her a legendary character though.

Maybe this whole story is a clever bluff by the producers in an attempt to coax a potential returnee into signing on the dotted line by letting them know how easy they can be replaced.

Recasting any big character would just kill EE. I don't think a major recast has ever worked on a uk soap.

Exactly, I bet it won't even be legendary!
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seems odd to call a character you can get away with recasting legendary, most if not all of the legendary characters have a story link to their actors, shouldnt be allowed IMO
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    The character of Kush is said to be Martins friend. There must be a reason they've made this decision
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm expecting Sam Mitchell to return.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nemokins wrote: »
    I'm expecting Sam Mitchell to return.

Kim was the best Sam Mitchell and everyone knows it those who say recasts can`t work are talking nonsense simply because they get attached to a particular actor in the role Kim was proof they can work if they get the casting right which in her case they did.

It could be anyone but I highly doubt it`ll be someone like Grant, Michelle is a possibility so is Martin, so is Zoe.