Disparity between (prison) sentences passed down and whats served custodially

13»

Comments

• Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Yes I know people who just can't cope with life outside of prison. They are so institutionalised that it doesn't occur to them to switch lights off or close windows if the leave a house.
    They feel safer in prison, everything is regimented for them. Outside is just one big scary place. I have certainly known people who re offend just because they can 'cope' in prison. It's heartbreaking that people feel like that in this day and age IMO.
    This is why I don't think incarceration works in the grand scheme of things.
    All prison does is teach people.how to commit crime more efficiently.

I rely on my own routines in life, I find a lot of comfort in sticking to my daily routines, so I can sort of understand that.

Being sent to prison puts criminals alongside one another, potentially allowing networking, which can never be good. Plus the whole issue of drugs getting smuggled in etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I saw a documentary fairly recently about celebrities learning about their ancestors, who had been incarcerated in victorian times. One was an alcoholic lady who was clearly a struggling alcoholic and seemed to spend her life being thrown in prison for anti-social behaviour, with no real understanding that its a disease etc. then there was someone else who clearly had mental health issues and he ended up serving time, then eventually going to a mental health hospital, an asylum I suppose, where he died. That was really bleak. The celebrities kept saying they were shocked their relatives had gone to prison when what they'd done was clearly, in our modern day perception, a cry for help but back then the Victorians presumably didn't understand what were such health issues and tended to take people off the streets, if they were deemed to be a social nuisance?. It seemed harsh.

If someone causes great harm while being drunk, im not saying dont charge them or anything but maybe the punishment, or response, to said behaviour should be based on what made them do what they did, if that makes sense? what good at all did it do, to jail those people, who struggled to cope and needed help, not thrown in a cell and left there?. I don't know.

I believe it was the Victorians who experimented with solitary confinement, to see if that would have an effect on whether people would re-offend but it was deemed a failure as it only made people potentially more 'wild' due to the psychological effect it had on at least some people. They still use it in the US, I saw a documentary on BBC2 about it recently. I think they said it hasnt been used in the UK for some time though.

I saw that, Tales from the Asylum. It was a fantastic series (my hobby is history, Victoriana Britain is 'my era lol)
    We haven't changed so much really. Many people in our prison system now have addiction or mental health issues. And a very small percentage will receive any kind of support or therapy while serving their sentences.
    It's a fact that it's easier to get drugs in jail than outside.
    My ex husband came out of prison addicted to heroin. He'd never touched it before
    He took it inside because it doesn't stay in your system as long as cannibas so it's easier to give a clear drugs test.
    And it's the staff that take it in, it keeps the prisoners quiet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a documentary fairly recently about celebrities learning about their ancestors, who had been incarcerated in victorian times. One was an alcoholic lady who was clearly a struggling alcoholic and seemed to spend her life being thrown in prison for anti-social behaviour, with no real understanding that its a disease etc. then there was someone else who clearly had mental health issues and he ended up serving time, then eventually going to a mental health hospital, an asylum I suppose, where he died. That was really bleak. The celebrities kept saying they were shocked their relatives had gone to prison when what they'd done was clearly, in our modern day perception, a cry for help but back then the Victorians presumably didn't understand what were such health issues and tended to take people off the streets, if they were deemed to be a social nuisance?. It seemed harsh.

If someone causes great harm while being drunk, im not saying dont charge them or anything but maybe the punishment, or response, to said behaviour should be based on what made them do what they did, if that makes sense? what good at all did it do, to jail those people, who struggled to cope and needed help, not thrown in a cell and left there?. I don't know.

I believe it was the Victorians who experimented with solitary confinement, to see if that would have an effect on whether people would re-offend but it was deemed a failure as it only made people potentially more 'wild' due to the psychological effect it had on at least some people. They still use it in the US, I saw a documentary on BBC2 about it recently. I think they said it hasnt been used in the UK for some time though.

I saw that, Tales from the Asylum. It was a fantastic series (my hobby is history, Victoriana Britain is 'my era lol)
    We haven't changed so much really. Many people in our prison system now have addiction or mental health issues. And a very small percentage will receive any kind of support or therapy while serving their sentences.
    My ex husband came out of prison addicted to heroin. He'd never touched it before
    He took it inside because it doesn't stay in your system as long as cannibas so it's easier to give a clear drugs test.
  • Options
    Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    It's pretty much a given that anyone sentenced gets a reduced term inside, and I don't get it.

There is a place for parole, but it should be for extremely good behaviour, and for me it should only be available to persons serving their first stretch.

I agree. I can't wait to see what kind of sentence that evil scumbag on tonight's news gets sentenced to next week. A savage unprovoked hammer attack on three innocent sisters is simply incomprehensible. All three recieved life changing injuries , one of them had her skull completely split in two causing horendous brain damage and loss of an eye. She has no life now. I'd be happy for crimes like this to get a sentence of a lethal injection.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd like to think we've changed but maybe not as much as we might like to think.

Speaking of prisons and such issues, I just came across this:- https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/524673351315652608

Grim :(
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    I agree. I can't wait to see what kind of sentence that evil scumbag on tonight's news gets sentenced to next week. A savage unprovoked hammer attack on three innocent sisters is simply incomprehensible. All three recieved life changing injuries , one of them had her skull completely split in two causing horendous brain damage and loss of an eye. She has no life now. I'd be happy for crimes like this to get a sentence of a lethal injection.

I don't agree with the concept of legalised murder, its hypocritical in my eyes but each to their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think we've changed but maybe not as much as we might like to think.

Speaking of prisons and such issues, I just came across this:- https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/524673351315652608

I don't agree with the concept of legalised murder, its hypocritical in my eyes but each to their own.

That is grim on so many levels. And I agree. Two wrongs don't make a right. All murder is wrong.
  • Options
    Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

That is grim on so many levels. And I agree. Two wrongs don't make a right. All murder is wrong.

Guys , surely a case like this where the guy left all three innocent sisters for dead in an unprovoked attack deserves an injection . He offers nothing to our society apart from the obvious threat of danger and violence. Put yourself in the place of the family of the three girls for a moment .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    Guys , surely a case like this where the guy left all three innocent sisters for dead in an unprovoked attack deserves an injection . He offers nothing to our society apart from the obvious threat of danger and violence. Put yourself in the place of the family of the three girls for a moment .

I've always been against the death penalty - killing the killer does not bring their victims back. The cost of putting someone on death row, in the US can be extortionate and there have been families of murder victims who spoke out against it, saying what I said, that by killing their relatives murderer, it doesn't bring them back, it won't completely take away their pain. Sometimes they hope that on the day of their sentence being carried out, the criminal will relent, that they'll finally speak out and apologise, explain why they did it and suchlike but that often isn't the case either. I've also heard the such victims families say this sentence simply leads to there being two grieving families - theirs and the family of the criminal.

What right does any human being have to take away the life of another and why is it suddenly ok to deem someone who may have had mental health issues or heck knows what other sort of issues, potentially, deserving to lose their life?. As a civilised society, we should lead by example and not stoop to the level of the people we're punishing.

Plus, not that I necessarily agree but I've heard relatives of victims sometimes say that death by lethal injection is far too quick and painless. If a murderer is given a life sentence then at least their forced to spend a long time thinking about what they've done, to live with what they've done.
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=IzzyS;75333598 I've heard relatives of victims sometimes say that death by lethal injection is far too quick and painless.[/QUOTE]

I watched a documentary about Texas death row and one of the officials who always presides over an execution said that was the typical response from victims families.

They are actually disappointed by the execution - the 'closure' and 'release' they expected to feel did not happen and they often feel cheated.
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my experience parole is useless and most people released from prison on parole consider themselves 'free.

They do indeed and in fact many carry on offending without their probation officer knowing about it obviously if they're doing it and not getting caught.

And when I worked in the Prison Service any person that was given a non-custodial sentence, e.g. community service, was regarded as a "let-off" - the prisoners would simply regard that as getting away with the offence as if found innocent.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anais32 wrote: »
    I watched a documentary about Texas death row and one of the officials who always presides over an execution said that was the typical response from victims families.

They are actually disappointed by the execution - the 'closure' and 'release' they expected to feel did not happen and they often feel cheated.

Was it part of BBC Three's recent Life & Death Row series? I saw that, it was very good. I'm not sure its possible to ever have full closure after losing a loved one in a tragic violent attack.

I'm not sure how I'd react, if it were my relative and the killer had been giving the death penalty, if I were in the gallery watching it - what are you supposed to feel, relief about it? I think I'd just feel sad about what a waste of human life but thats just me. I'm not someone who would relish and revel in anyones death really, even if they were a very abhorrent person who clearly wasn't safe to be out in public. I'd probably wonder how they ended up that way and feel sad that they couldn't somehow be rehabilitated, I imagine. Of course I'd grieve for my loved one as well though and I'd be angry at them for what they'd done, certainly at first, yes of course, thats only human nature but there's no real winner in such situations, if the criminal dies or not doesn't change what happened.
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    They do indeed and in fact many carry on offending without their probation officer knowing about it obviously if they're doing it and not getting caught.

And when I worked in the Prison Service any person that was given a non-custodial sentence, e.g. community service, was regarded as a "let-off" - the prisoners would simply regard that as getting away with the offence as if found innocent.

How would you know that though? if their not caught then how does anyone know, by definition?.