Anyone received an SMS with the BT SMS Service?

My father-in-law has started getting calls claiming to be the BT SMS service and is a bit worried about it being a scam of some sort.

On the plus side, I haven't found anything on the web that points in that direction but I'm not familiar with the service so I can't be sure how it's supposed to work.

Does it just read the message out to you when you answer the phone, or are you presented with a list of options?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It just reads out the message - if you don't answer though I don't remember what happens.

From http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/consumer/bttextbundle/faq.html
    Simply call 0800 587 5252 free from your home line and follow the instructions to change the times when you can receive text or not to receive them at all. This will prevent any texts being received by your landline. Please be aware that that the sender of the text will not know that you have cancelled this function on your phone.

There you go - switch it off - for free.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JasonW wrote:
    It just reads out the message - if you don't answer though I don't remember what happens.

That's what I thought would be the case - the fact that it gives him options (he just hangs up at that point (he doesn't use SMS on his mobile, nevermind landline!) so doesn't know what the options are) has me more worried.

We'll probably get him to disable the service and see what happens.
  • CrashedCrashed Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the service is not active and the texter uses a mobile that
    has delivery reports turned on, to send a text to a landline,
    if the text does not get delivered the texter will know...

Not all networks have delivery reports!

I know virgin & voda do have it, o2 don't on
    payg unless they do have this option now.

I get [BT] sms on my telewest line :confused:
    [i have a dect that does sms]

When i use the home phone to do a sms it is
    potluck, kinda like going for a pee in the dark :D
  • BexTechBexTech Posts: 12,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telewest don't run a SMS service, they just use BTs, hence the service numbers you program into the phones are BTs service numbers.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crashed wrote:
    If the service is not active and the texter uses a mobile that
    has delivery reports turned on, to send a text to a landline,
    if the text does not get delivered the texter will know...

Not all networks have delivery reports!

I know virgin & voda do have it, o2 don't on
    payg unless they do have this option now.

I get [BT] sms on my telewest line :confused:
    [i have a dect that does sms]

When i use the home phone to do a sms it is
    potluck, kinda like going for a pee in the dark :D

you can get delivery reports on o2 if you put *0# before your message.
  • CrashedCrashed Posts: 1,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can get delivery reports on o2 if you put *0# before your message.

Thanks rob, i'll remember this if i ever use o2 again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've tried to get the BT SMS thing going on our home phone and have registered using 00000, but the problem is when they text back it rings the phone! We are using a Panasonic KXA 154 and have entered & checked the numbers and the receive one corresponds with the number that tries to call us back.

However when we answered the last call it made last night the automated voice said that we could only receive texts as voice calls.

Does anyone have one of these and got it to work successfully or have any ideas? Thanks
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    Jimmie wrote:
    I've tried to get the BT SMS thing going on our home phone and have registered using 00000, but the problem is when they text back it rings the phone! We are using a Panasonic KXA 154 and have entered & checked the numbers and the receive one corresponds with the number that tries to call us back.

However when we answered the last call it made last night the automated voice said that we could only receive texts as voice calls.

Does anyone have one of these and got it to work successfully or have any ideas? Thanks

I'm not sure if this is still the case but I'm fairly sure you need Caller ID operational on your line, do you have this?

BT offer it free now as part of BT Privacy.

Hope this helps,

David
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for not mentioning that, but we're already signed up for that too.
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    Just tried out this! Oh My God, I'm amazed! So I put my free texts to good use...

http://rapidshare.de/files/20878390/im_the_bt_lady.mp3.html (Contains the "F" word.)

:D:D:D