Options

Get out of 12 month contract?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
Forum Member
Is there a way of getting out of a 12 month contract with BT Broadband. I didn't sign any contracts to extend it just a verbal agreement over the phone?
The current service is crap to say the least and i have heard good things about the O2 broadband service.
Any advice.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Contrary to what you may hear, a verbal agreement is binding. (BT will have recorded the call.) Additionally they will have sent confirmation in the post.

You can leave BT at any time by paying for the remaining time left on the agreement.

BTW what makes you think that O2 will be any better, unless you are close to the exchange and they have their own kit installed there?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BTW what makes you think that O2 will be any better, unless you are close to the exchange and they have their own kit installed there?

I dont think it's just a matter of speed, BT are well known to be a little "trigger happy" with the speed throttling, where as O2 dont throttle at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Jittlov wrote: »
    I dont think it's just a matter of speed, BT are well known to be a little "trigger happy" with the speed throttling.
    Please explain?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please explain?

Sure.

BT throttle the speeds of certain services such as P2P and iPlayer, (depending on your package) and until recently their fair use policy allowed them to throttle the speeds of users who hit a certain limit, though the part about throttling heavy users has disappeared from their fair use policy. It remains to be seen if BT will honor this and with their track record, I wouldn't hold my breath.

With O2 there are no worries about service restrictions or hidden limits at all.