Options

UK On-Line eaten by Sky

nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
Forum Member
Oh dear, just got notice from my ISP, UK On-Line, that they are going out of business early next year, and the company that already owns them, Sky, is taking over. Not happy at all.

Can anyone here tell me whether Sky interfere with, (entirely legitimate), use of torrents? If no, what is their monthly cap? UK-Online have it at around 40gb. If Sky do interfere, how about BT Total Broadband?

TalkTalk is dead loss, and none of the smaller outfits, such as Be, are available in my location. :(

Comments

• Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't use BT if you go over your cap they slow youdown. If you go with skys top package there is no cap, and no they dont interfere with torrents.

Over the years I have used many different companies and sky are by far the best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *marv* wrote: »
    Over the years I have used many different companies and sky are by far the best.

Excellent, thanks for the info. :) Do you happen to know what Sky's unlimited package is likely to cost me? Only, UK On-Line charge under 20 quid a month, and suit me just fine.

If anyone else out there has an opinion on this, or alternate recommendation.... in case Sky decide that the Isle of Wight is not in their area, I'd be pleased to read it.
  • Options
    prawn crackersprawn crackers Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    in case Sky decide that the Isle of Wight is not in their area, I'd be pleased to read it.

Try this Sam Knows site to find out if Sky is available to you.- http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

PC
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that, Prawn. I've taken a look, and in the mean time also found Sky's own info page, and it seems I'm okay. If continuing my rather modest 2mb speed while paying for 8mb is considered okay. :rolleyes:

Sky are offering me 6 months free, to continue with them after UK On-Line is no more, so providing they have no plans to interfere with my usage, then this is looking much better than I'd first thought.
  • Options
    foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are not UKonline and Sky all under the Easynet banner?
  • Options
    jon41jon41 Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxla wrote: »

Sky sold Easynet back to the management, however Sky kept all UK infrastructure - was inevitable from day one UK Online was going to be closed down at some point, when I was with them they were the best.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foxla wrote: »

both me and my brother were with Ukonline.
    he left for sky a few months ago sharing the network is about all they share.

UKO didnt use DLM and could tweak the line whilst you were on the phone.

he had a 4.5 mb service with uko that dropped to 2mb with sky (DLM was kicking in all the time) someone posted on adslguide that sky can infact overide the DLM,something my brother wasnt told about.

In terms of CS Sky are awful compared to UKO.
    I left for Xilo on the pro 75gb im getting a better service than with UKO up over 1mb on the speed,lag down to under 100 in wow.

the 75gb cap isnt as bad as I thought and customer service is first class.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    both me and my brother were with Ukonline.he left for sky a few months ago sharing the network is about all they share.

Oh dear, that has thrown a spanner in my works. I used to have Sky TV, but got sick and tired of their failure to allow cherry picking of channels, and other problems, that I left and got myself a Freeview box.

If Sky are now operating an aggressive download management policy, then my 6 months free offer sounds more like 6 months of frustration. :(

Just been checking out Xilo, and I can get a Home 50gb limit package for something over £21, or an ADSL2 for a few pence more. Currently my BT line only does between 2-3mb. So which one is best?

Also, can you confirm that Xilo mind their own business and do not interfere with torrents, etc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, that has thrown a spanner in my works. I used to have Sky TV, but got sick and tired of their failure to allow cherry picking of channels, and other problems, that I left and got myself a Freeview box.

If Sky are now operating an aggressive download management policy, then my 6 months free offer sounds more like 6 months of frustration. :(

Just been checking out Xilo, and I can get a Home 50gb limit package for something over £21, or an ADSL2 for a few pence more. Currently my BT line only does between 2-3mb. So which one is best?

Also, can you confirm that Xilo mind their own business and do not interfere with torrents, etc?

best bet mate to give them an email they are brilliant with the replies.

i asked loads of questions before i signed with the pro 75gb its a month rolling contract also (so no tie in for 12-18 months)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    best bet mate to give them an email they are brilliant with the replies.

Right-ho, will do that.

Cheers. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right-ho, will do that.

Cheers. :)

Np Good luck with it.
    I was gutted having to leave Ukonline but I had a very weird problem some months ago I wasnt being Given an IP addy
    so I could connect but nothing else.

tier3 sorted it out but warned me the problem would return.
    when It did all my notes had been deleted and they didnt have a means to sort it out any longer so it forced my hand in leaving UKO (this was after the story broke UKO was likely to be closed down).

the guys on the ADSLguide were brilliant and told me about Xilo its the best move ive made tbh the usage allowance is more than enough for me at 75gb a month.

the speed is fine and theres no 'peak time' slowdown at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the speed is fine and theres no 'peak time' slowdown at all.

Just as you said, the Xilo people replied really quickly, and are now in pole position. Just a few more enquiries...

Sadly, the only LLU that is often available here on the IOW is the dastardly forces of TalkTalk. So Xilo will not be able to deliver much more speed than I currently have. But, if they go easy with the Big Brother routine, and my cap is 75mb, that will be more than enough. Even when the girlfriend and her son move in with me. ;)
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    According to a letter I was sent from UK Online.

6 months free broadband on Sky Unlimited, if you register before 20/12/2010.

Up to 20 Mb with no download limits.

You don't have to take out a phone or TV package with Sky.

You stay on the same network as UK Online.

Costs £15/month after the first 6 months (£10/month with Sky Talk). With a Sky TV package £12-50/month, after 6 months or £7-50/month with Sky Talk.

No MAC required to make the move.

No action required with billing, as this will be handled by Sky.

However.

You will need to have a new e-mail address.
    I'm not sure about the situation regarding receiving a new router.
    I'm not sure what the new technical support number will be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I've just found this thread, having previously started one of my own at http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=45889608#post45889608

I suspect I probably need much less from my connection that nathanbrazil.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Nemo2000 wrote: »
    I've just found this thread, having previously started one of my own at http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=45889608#post45889608

I suspect I probably need much less from my connection that nathanbrazil.

From the information I've seen so far, I would stick with Sky, if you already receive a UK Online LLU product, but if you get UK Online resold to them by BT, probably not.

If you are not sure which product you are getting right now from UK Online, you can check whether you are in a UK Online LLU enabled area with the link below.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search