EE: Mick & Linda; the only happy couple and TPTB HAVE to go and spoil it!!

NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've actually boycotted EE at the moment as I just can't bare watching rape scenes and so I'll tune back in, in a bit BUT.....

Mick and Linda have been the only genuinely happy couple around in ages. Young, loved each other, 3 kids, obviously healthy sex life and it's just soooooo annoying that the producers just couldn't leave them that way!

I can't think of another genuinely happy family in the show and TPTB should really get a grip in portraying the east end this way and always making stuff doom and gloom. They should have just let the Carters marriage and or relationship stay safe....how on earth can a relationship/marriage not be eternally affected by rape? They should have just left them alone and allowed Mick and Linda to not be without problems but to remain happy and dedicated to each other in a strong marriage.

Comments

• Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly don't see the problem. It's not like they've cheated and it's relatively minor when compared to the problems in the other relationships in the Square.
  • Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    I honestly don't see the problem. It's not like they've cheated and it's relatively minor when compared to the problems in the other relationships in the Square.

Agreed. Mick and linda generally love each other and all their kids and they Are such a strong couple. I can see mick sticking by Linda and supporting her when of all comes out and force dean of the square (Hopefully not kill him as I don't want mick to become a killer)
  • xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,269
    Forum Member
    They havnt spoilt they relationship at all, Mick and Linda clearly love each other.
  • NoushNoush Posts: 4,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean Joe but I just wish they could have just left it alone....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    They havnt spoilt they relationship at all, Mick and Linda clearly love each other.

Yes xTonix and I hope they continue to love each other but can a relationship really ever survive rape? I just feel this storyline has sadly marred their relationship :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    I personally think that the rape will ultimately bring them closer together and may even prompt Mick to finally propose to Linda, as when the truth comes out he will be hurt because of what it has done to Linda. He will want to make sure nothing like that ever happens to her again.

So yeah, I think in the end they will still come out as the happiest couple EE have had for a very long time :P
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem has not come from their relationship though so I don't think that counts.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This will probably showcase how much they love each other imo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will probably showcase how much they love each other imo

I really hope so.....Linda seems to run away and clam up when problems arrive but I really hope they get through this
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Noush wrote: »
    I really hope so.....Linda seems to run away and clam up when problems arrive but I really hope they get through this

to be fair she ran because her rapist was sitting next to her! I think it will get better once mick finds out. She's afraid that he'll kill him at the moment I imagine and probably doesn't want him to get in trouble . especially with the Shirley stuff going on.
  • statman_61statman_61 Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Were they truly 100% happy though? There seem to have been some underlying tensions, the fact they never legally married (Mick seems more keen to?) Whether to try for a baby or not, the reasons why they moved to Walford in the first place (references to unhappiness on Linda's part), all the tension around Mick covering for Ian. Agreed, not the mountains of problems of the average Walford couple, but I think the current situation may reveal deeper fault lines in the relationship - that makes good drama after all!
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    statman_61 wrote: »
    Were they truly 100% happy though? There seem to have been some underlying tensions, the fact they never legally married (Mick seems more keen to?) Whether to try for a baby or not, the reasons why they moved to Walford in the first place (references to unhappiness on Linda's part), all the tension around Mick covering for Ian. Agreed, not the mountains of problems of the average Walford couple, but I think the current situation may reveal deeper fault lines in the relationship - that makes good drama after all!

Yeah there's been this facade of happiness but beneath it, I always detected a heart of darkness. The same goes for the whole Carter family unit.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    This is EastEnders? What did you expect. They have been built up all year as this untouchable couple purposefully so that something would come along and break them down completely.

At the same time, we've also had semi-confirmation that Mick and Linda will get through this and find happiness again. Until the next trauma of course...
  • AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I think they love eachother enough to be able to get through but it will be a stressful time and we may see them part for a while.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keep watching :)
  • Mani_BhangraMani_Bhangra Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will bring them so much closer as Mick loves Linda so much, when she left to go to her moms, he was so heart broken and was lost without her. I hope they show the struggle of the situation and how they both come to terms with the rape and make them even more stronger. Linda being withdrawn at the moment just shows that she afraid, afraid on what Mick will do and how they are going to come to terms with it.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Kim_x wrote: »

Rape "relatively minor"?! My god...I take it you've never been raped (thank god). I have and it ruined my life. There's nothing "minor" about it! I was raped by a gang and I have panic attacks when I wake up, I have panic attacks when the postman comes because I don't know who's at the door. I have them when I go outside. I have hallucinated my rapists after the attack. I could go on but you get the picture?

Linda on Eastenders is having panic attacks (which make you throw up sometimes) and I think she is very well played by Kellie Bright. I think Kellie and Matt Di'Angelo were very brave to act these scenes. I think Eastenders are good for getting this issue into the public arena (again) and if it helps just one person seek the help they need then it's done some good. I don't think it was too explicit, I think they got it right.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    Rape "relatively minor"?! My god...I take it you've never been raped (thank god). I have and it ruined my life. There's nothing "minor" about it! I was raped by a gang and I have panic attacks when I wake up, I have panic attacks when the postman comes because I don't know who's at the door. I have them when I go outside. I have hallucinated my rapists after the attack. I could go on but you get the picture?

Linda on Eastenders is having panic attacks (which make you throw up sometimes) and I think she is very well played by Kellie Bright. I think Kellie and Matt Di'Angelo were very brave to act these scenes. I think Eastenders are good for getting this issue into the public arena (again) and if it helps just one person seek the help they need then it's done some good. I don't think it was too explicit, I think they got it right.

I don't think that's how Kim meant it. I think she meant "relatively minor" in relation to it hurting their relationship. Obviously it's going to be really hard for them, but neither have done anything wrong. It's not like Linda cheated and Mick has to work out if he can forgive her or not.
  • Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I don't think that's how Kim meant it. I think she meant "relatively minor" in relation to it hurting their relationship. Obviously it's going to be really hard for them, but neither have done anything wrong. It's not like Linda cheated and Mick has to work out if he can forgive her or not.

Exactly what I meant. Compared to Phil and Sharon and Kat and Alfie whose relationships have included infidelity and one partner accidentally almost killing the other, the Carters don't have too much of a problem. Dean and Mick aren't that close and if they were, it would probably do more damage to their dynamic than it will do.

Sorry to hear about what happened, Pink Smurf :( No offence was intended.
  • SunnydaysSunnydays Posts: 12,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've actually boycotted EE at the moment as I just can't bare watching rape scenes and so I'll tune back in, in a bit BUT.....

Mick and Linda have been the only genuinely happy couple around in ages. Young, loved each other, 3 kids, obviously healthy sex life and it's just soooooo annoying that the producers just couldn't leave them that way!

I can't think of another genuinely happy family in the show and TPTB should really get a grip in portraying the east end this way and always making stuff doom and gloom. They should have just let the Carters marriage and or relationship stay safe....how on earth can a relationship/marriage not be eternally affected by rape? They should have just left them alone and allowed Mick and Linda to not be without problems but to remain happy and dedicated to each other in a strong marriage.

I know what you mean. Can't the writers leave well alone, and just have ONE reasonably functioning family in Eastenders. I had to quit watching EE for a few weeks a couple of years ago, when everything was so bleak and dire. Just 1/2 hour of jumping from one miserable topic to another. It really got my goat when Jessie Wallace, who to me is a brilliant actress (saw her portrayal of Patricia Phoenix, complete with Mancunian accent).......and to waste her abilities by turning her into some mouthy prostitute was a complete shambles.......I was so pleased to see her happy at last with her little Moony twins.......but again, it will not be allowed to last.

In short, I agree with you. Let us have some light relief from all the dirge. I am sure the writers are intelligent enough to bring storylines for the Carters which don't include putting a nuclear bomb into their family relationships.
  • tripitakatripitaka Posts: 5,636
    Forum Member
    AntoniaA wrote: »
    I think they love eachother enough to be able to get through but it will be a stressful time and we may see them part for a while.

I hope they show them getting through it and being stronger than ever, it would be good for EastEnders and the wider world to show them not being beaten.
  • tripitakatripitaka Posts: 5,636
    Forum Member
    Sunnydays wrote: »
    I know what you mean. Can't the writers leave well alone, and just have ONE reasonably functioning family in Eastenders. .

It was a real shame when they pulled the Masoods apart. Soaps seem to feel its their duty to show the dark side of family life but I'd like to see some happiness too.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anything this will bring them closer together. That's probably the reason why they're not married, so that they can get married after all this as a way of consigning everything that's happened to the past.

At least neither have had/are having an affair. Look at Moira and John in Emmerdale they were in much the same boat as Mick and Linda then started lusting after others/cheating on each other, and finally their entire history was rewritten to accommodate John's brother and his sons.
  • EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes xTonix and I hope they continue to love each other but can a relationship really ever survive rape? I just feel this storyline has sadly marred their relationship :(

What a strange question. Of course it can.

I think the storyline will bring some troubles to the couple. Linda will no doubt question whether she did something to deserve it (no, she didn't). Mick will question why she didn't tell him straight away. But they are a strong couple who hopefully will go on to show that couples absolutely can survive a horrendous crime like this. After a few turbulent weeks with their storyline in the run up to Dean's attack, I think ultimately it will bring them closer together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange question. Of course it can.

I think the storyline will bring some troubles to the couple. Linda will no doubt question whether she did something to deserve it (no, she didn't). Mick will question why she didn't tell him straight away. But they are a strong couple who hopefully will go on to show that couples absolutely can survive a horrendous crime like this. After a few turbulent weeks with their storyline in the run up to Dean's attack, I think ultimately it will bring them closer together.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that a relationship couldn't survive rape....I just meant I think that it's something that will always affect the relationship...maybe I'm wrong...I don't know.