Options

Man dead after 'axe and knife attack' at Devon pub - Are we more violent?

2»

Comments

• Options
    bozzimacoobozzimacoo Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Most of the people who avoided the endless stream of news found the world to be a better place, and whilst it has its problem for the most part it was good. Some of those who watched the news actually had to stop under medical advice as they were slipping into serious depression. Almost all of that group described the world as a dangerous place and tended to stay in and avoid contact with non family members more.

The media shapes us much more than people realise, which is terrifying in itself haha.

I was just thinking this about myself, since joining here in October, I feel a right misery guts and tending to 'doom & gloom' moments... I need to get out more.
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's quite a well-to-do place, yeah? What's actually happening to people??

At least in this country people are less likely to use guns when they go a bit loopy so less fatalities. A shootout in a house party in Calgary just a couple of days after 8 people were slaughtered by a gunman in Edmonton They're not having a good new year in Canada. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30627630

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-shooting-1-dead-6-others-injured-at-new-year-s-party-1.2887989
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think certain demographics of people have become more violent. For example, there is more crime amongst teenagers due to social deprivation and modern day consumer culture. Deprivation leads people into crime as the young become disillusioned and do not see a way to try and enhance their lives. Consumer culture fuels an unhealthy need to want things as they see others having the latest technology and so on. Therefore, this creates the desire to obtain such things through committing crime and sometimes robberies can lead to violent acts. Overall, we are not more violent but perhaps crime is committed by other social demographics which perhaps was not the case in the distant past.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under Soul wrote: »
    At least in this country people are less likely to use guns when they go a bit loopy so less fatalities. A shootout in a house party in Calgary just a couple of days after 8 people were slaughtered by a gunman in Edmonton They're not having a good new year in Canada. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-30627630

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-shooting-1-dead-6-others-injured-at-new-year-s-party-1.2887989

True but another death by gunshot in Cambridgeshire.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-30648414
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I imagine some people don't feel that the media reflect the apparent true situation, in much the same way as parents tend to be concerned about stranger danger and paedophiles, even though they say that children are more likely to be targeted by people they know and so on.

Well, those people are idiots.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    No, I don't think so. If violence was becoming more common it wouldn't be such a big news story when events like this happen, and the story wouldn't have much shock value.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    That's re-assuring but I was more curious about public perception, than statistical fact.

Why? The public think violent crime is increasing because the news agencies love to report it more often. But every single statistical fact says it is falling.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    howardl wrote: »
    Only because its not reported and authorities tell us bull.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27119689

So hospitals are telling lies as well are they?
  • Options
    anais32anais32 Posts: 12,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think certain demographics of people have become more violent. For example, there is more crime amongst teenagers due to social deprivation and modern day consumer culture. .

Actually youth crime has been falling for years. Particularly in violent offences.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's quite a well-to-do place, yeah? What's actually happening to people??

I suspect that there's a lot more alcohol-fuelled rage in the season of joy and goodwill to all men.

Just my personal view, with absolutely no facts to back it up.

I also believe that the news media have far more time to fill than they used to have in the 'one news programme per day' days. Hence more things are reported which wouldn't have been in the past.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP needs to read a bit of history before posting.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both incidents sound as if they were probably being filmed for the forthcoming series of Big Fat Gypsy Massacres".
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    One can check crime statistics for your area below.

http://www.police.uk
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, "we" aren't more violent but unfortunately there will always be absolute scum who do this kind of thing. I've just seen and read a lot about one of the people alleged to have committed this murder (and yes I know, innocent til proven guilty blah, blah, blah), and there are no words tbh. I suspect there is gonna be a lot of anger about this person and our pathetic justice system.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    One can check crime statistics for your area below.

http://www.police.uk

No I can't.

Remind me, again, how did that referendum turn out? :confused:

Gotta say, I wonder if there's some kind of "statistical efficiency" thing going on, whereby concentrating resources on densely-populated areas creates an overall reduction in crime statistics even though rural areas are less well policed and, as a result, crime in those areas is getting worse?

Seems like petty crime and vandalism has increased here in the last few years, since they decided to make the local cop-shop a 9-5 thing and then run everything from Dumfries, 40-odd miles away, for the rest of the time.
    There always used to be a couple of pairs of bobbies wandering around the streets in the evenings.
    Now we just get a car from Dumfries driving through the town maybe once a night, unless they're busy giving lorries on the A75 a tug instead.
  • Options
    the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    The days of binge drinking and alcohol fueled violence appear to be a distant memory now.

The youth now seem to be more hipsterfied and have shunned the lad and ladette image of 10 years ago.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think so, no. I've been in hundreds of pubs and have never left with an axe embedded in my skull.

Sorry to be pedantic but the attack didn't actually happen in a pub. The group that were attacked had been in the pub celebrating New Year and were apparently making their way home when they were approached by the attackers (who hadn't been in the pub that evening). A newspaper report I read claimed they asked a girl in the group for a cigarette but when she refused to give them one they launched their attack.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think certain demographics of people have become more violent. For example, there is more crime amongst teenagers due to social deprivation and modern day consumer culture.

Source?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    Sorry to be pedantic but the attack didn't actually happen in a pub. The group that were attacked had been in the pub celebrating New Year and were apparently making their way home when they were approached by the attackers (who hadn't been in the pub that evening). A newspaper report I read claimed they asked a girl in the group for a cigarette but when she refused to give them one they launched their attack.

I was going from the information in original post, which was made before the full facts became known.

The point remains that I have walked home thousands of times and never got to my front door with an axe in my head, despite refusing on numerous occasions to give cadgers a free cigarette.