Talkative minds

IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
Forum Member
✭✭
This will seem really random and everything but I mean this in the most general way, not specifically looking for advice - I've sought help since last year but I still have issues and what-not.

Anyway, I find it almost exhausting at times that my head (or mind?) thinks so quickly, I have a very talkative mind, thats the only way I can think to word that. I know things such as mindfulness/meditation/yoga etc. can help with that but primarily temporarily, while its being practiced. What I wonder is if its possible to fully quieten a very talkative mind? i.e. not wonder about lots of things at once.

I can get quite anxious, which plays in to it and I know the usual stuff of challenging thoughts and everything, it seems/feels as if I have this real tendency to (accidentally or not) wind myself up and I have an infuriating habit of typing posts (such as this, ironically) that are longer than need be.

I reckon I get fewer responses to my messages due to their length (well I pretty much know I do) and on FB etc., not just here as I've barely been here lately. I've asked for advice regarding my long posts - I read about writing concisely and things but it didn't really make a big difference. I think if I didn't feel so distracted so often and could somehow quieten or slow down my talkative mind and shorten my messages, it would be very beneficial but is that something realistic, in terms of making a permanent change? certainly medication aside? are there any thoughts on this? do you think having such a talkative mind (i.e. thinking constantly, all the time, worrying about things or wondering what to do, whats to come later in the day etc.) is the product of environment, or more genetic?.

I looked it up briefly, purely out of curiosity and the general consensus via a Google search, was that stress and anxiety aren't inherited but how your parents handle it makes a big difference. I just find it interesting.

Comments

• IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No replies at all?. I guess that was a badly worded OP. Shame I can't edit it now.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diazepam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Diazepam.

Thats addictive though, I believe? I'm on something else.
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    I can't honestly say this is something which I experience so I can't really speak to it from a personal perspective, but I used to have a mate who described over thinking much as you have. It made her an insomniac as she constantly replayed scenarios about the previous day or the next day. She found it pretty exhausting I think. Anyway I am just posting this because she mentioned a book which she found really useful, both in understanding why she was wired that way and how to control it - well not control it as such, but to use it as a positive. She went on about it a lot (which is why I remember it) she claimed it was life changing for her (sorry about the over dramatics - that is actually what she said!)

Anyway it was called Women who think too much . Check it out it might actually be as good as she thought it was!

All the best :)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I think I'm like this as I'm always thinking about stuff and sometimes several things at once. I also have a habit of dwelling on events and things that have happened to me, even going back to last year or even further. Some nights I can't sleep as I have a lot on my mind.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    my head races and i barely sleep, weed helps pull it all in a bit for me.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit i prefer Diazapam when i needed it am on some at the moment to relax my muscles after being hit by a car with bad bruising to relax my muscles..
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IzzyS wrote: »
    This will seem really random and everything but I mean this in the most general way, not specifically looking for advice - I've sought help since last year but I still have issues and what-not.

Anyway, I find it almost exhausting at times that my head (or mind?) thinks so quickly, I have a very talkative mind, thats the only way I can think to word that. I know things such as mindfulness/meditation/yoga etc. can help with that but primarily temporarily, while its being practiced. What I wonder is if its possible to fully quieten a very talkative mind? i.e. not wonder about lots of things at once.

I can get quite anxious, which plays in to it and I know the usual stuff of challenging thoughts and everything, it seems/feels as if I have this real tendency to (accidentally or not) wind myself up and I have an infuriating habit of typing posts (such as this, ironically) that are longer than need be.

I reckon I get fewer responses to my messages due to their length (well I pretty much know I do) and on FB etc., not just here as I've barely been here lately. I've asked for advice regarding my long posts - I read about writing concisely and things but it didn't really make a big difference. I think if I didn't feel so distracted so often and could somehow quieten or slow down my talkative mind and shorten my messages, it would be very beneficial but is that something realistic, in terms of making a permanent change? certainly medication aside? are there any thoughts on this? do you think having such a talkative mind (i.e. thinking constantly, all the time, worrying about things or wondering what to do, whats to come later in the day etc.) is the product of environment, or more genetic?.

I looked it up briefly, purely out of curiosity and the general consensus via a Google search, was that stress and anxiety aren't inherited but how your parents handle it makes a big difference. I just find it interesting.
    Rumination, or depressive rumination is what you seem to be describing Izzy.

I'll follow this point up at a more decent hour of the day. ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does sound as if you are suffering constant low-level anxiety. It's not terribly helpful for someone to reply with the single word 'diazepam'.

Some people find they can reduce their feverish thought process by being more physically active in some way: tire yourself out (healthily) doing something you enjoy, and your mind might take a nice rest. And you can sometimes calm things down a bit simply by being firm about not agreeing to everything anyone asks you to do, at work or even socially. There is nothing that makes your brain race faster than the constant feeling that you have too much to do and no time to do it in.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats addictive though, I believe? I'm on something else.

Well it has an extremely long half life so repeat dosing too regularly will quickly build up in your system so yeah, you do have to be careful with it.

For an occasional relief though, it works better than anything else I've tried. What are you prescribed?
  • SunnierSunnier Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Try this herbal cannabis medicine - it's something special,imo,..

"CBD, or cannabidiol, is just one of over 400 active compounds in the plant. CBD is the plant compound in marijuana or cannabis that offers medical effects but without the “high”. It can even counter the psychoactive effects of THC. After decades in which only high-THC Cannabis was available, CBD-rich strains are now being grown by and for medical users. Hemp, which is also derived from the cannabis plant, is one example of very low THC levels and high CBD levels – which is just one reason hemp should have never been made illegal. (Though the 2014 farm bill does legalize industrial hemp).

The list of medicinal qualities of just this one compound, CBD, is extremely long:

For example, CBD helps with:

Multiple Sclerosis
    Bipolar Disorder
    Cancer
    Depression
    Acne
    Glaucoma
    Stress
    Brain Injury
    Obesity
    Osteoperosis
    Diabetes
    Nausea
    And many more"

-- It's said to be particularly good for anxiety,trouble is the cost there's lots of profiteering going on annoyingly..
  • mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be keeping an eye on this thread Izzy, as my mind does this also, drives me bonkers!! I think, for me, that some of it is down to my illness (fibromylagia) and some of it it, as WonkeyDonkey said, not helped by the fact that maybe i do not do enough physically during the daytime to tire myself out. The Doctor told me it was Rumination, also mentioned upthread, and that it is common.
    I do have prescribed medication available for my Fibro that does help this as an extra effect, but only take it when i am in a lot of pain.
    I would like a solution that is non-medicinal, so await further responses with you :)
  • UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And me.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No replies at all?. I guess that was a badly worded OP. Shame I can't edit it now.
    Despite the number of question marks in your post there isn't really a question that leaps out at people to latch on to and reply to you about.

Often you seem to ask a question then instantly flit off to another question as if the answer isn't really that important to you. Sometimes you ask a question and then answer it yourself, stating that you know this is probably the case. Other times you ask a question and then say you have already googled it and read the general agreement on the issue.

In other words your post just reads like a stream of consciousness, a passing thought which isn't directed at anyone in particular or is seeking a responce. It reads like someone just writing their internal monologue down and moving on.

Particularly as you then end with "I just find this interesting"...which can give the feeling of "just saying, don't let it bother you, just me being silly, just a thought, what's for tea?".
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,844
    Forum Member
    In the first place OP I don't think your opening post is too long. Actually I generally find that posts on here are more often too short than too long. It does however read like a stream of consciousness and that I think might be very instructive.

I am not an expert on this but I am wondering if more writing rather than less will help quieten your mind. I wouldn't necessarily suggest posting on DS but maybe keeping a journal just for yourself.

MY (inexpert instinct) is wondering if you would get more peace if you discharged the thoughts that plague you onto paper. I also feel that various types of writing might be worth a go. I have in mind techniques such as mind mapping and list making.

I sometimes find my mind races and I associate this with anxiety and stress. It tends to occur, in my case, in association with heavy work loads or a task I don't quite know how to approach. I find that if I take a large sheet of paper and randomly write down the thoughts as they come to me, the rate of thought seems to slow down and I can begin to focus and organise them.

You may find that once the thoughts are out on paper they are sort of safe and you don't find you need to keep thinking them. Some you will be able to discard completely, others may form a sort of to do list. Others may be things you can link up and realise that they are manifestations of your mind trying to solve a problem. This may help you to approach the problem in a more methodical away, or indeed simply identify it.

You may find that over time your writing becomes more lucid and is less of a stream of consciousness. I realise that being a better writer is not your aim but I think you may find that writing could be both a barometer to check your inner dialogue and quite possibly a means to break down the overwhelming stream of thought into bite sized chunks.

And who knows it might be the sign of a highly creative mind. I think that highly likely actually. :) You may be the next JK Rowling.
  • mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the first place OP I don't think your opening post is too long. Actually I generally find that posts on here are more often too short than too long. It does however read like a stream of consciousness and that I think might be very instructive.

I am not an expert on this but I am wondering if more writing rather than less will help quieten your mind. I wouldn't necessarily suggest posting on DS but maybe keeping a journal just for yourself.

MY (inexpert instinct) is wondering if you would get more peace if you discharged the thoughts that plague you onto paper. I also feel that various types of writing might be worth a go. I have in mind techniques such as mind mapping and list making.

I sometimes find my mind races and I associate this with anxiety and stress. It tends to occur, in my case, in association with heavy work loads or a task I don't quite know how to approach. I find that if I take a large sheet of paper and randomly write down the thoughts as they come to me, the rate of thought seems to slow down and I can begin to focus and organise them.

You may find that once the thoughts are out on paper they are sort of safe and you don't find you need to keep thinking them. Some you will be able to discard completely, others may form a sort of to do list. Others may be things you can link up and realise that they are manifestations of your mind trying to solve a problem. This may help you to approach the problem in a more methodical away, or indeed simply identify it.

You may find that over time your writing becomes more lucid and is less of a stream of consciousness. I realise that being a better writer is not your aim but I think you may find that writing could be both a barometer to check your inner dialogue and quite possibly a means to break down the overwhelming stream of thought into bite sized chunks.

And who knows it might be the sign of a highly creative mind. I think that highly likely actually. :) You may be the next JK Rowling.

Excellent reply to Izzy's post. I, for one, will be giving it all a try. Thank you An Throplogist :)
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    You are Scottish Izzy, like myself and we don't self edit, we just say what we think so you never mind what anyone else on here says, you just be yourself.
  • funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »
    Diazepam.

That was going to be my suggestion. I'm on it and have been for a while but as I don't use it all the time, just as and when, I don't believe I'm addicted to it.
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    That was going to be my suggestion. I'm on it and have been for a while but as I don't use it all the time, just as and when, I don't believe I'm addicted to it.

I can just imagine you walking home with your shopping and hallucinating.

Ahhh diazepam, how i long for you.

*mouth gets dry*

*starts imagining human beings in the street as diazepamn tablets dancing*

Ahhhh come to daddy.

*starts licking old womans face*
  • funnierinmyheadfunnierinmyhead Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    Chuckle, I wish.

I have thoughts of eat, don't eat, eat and exercise, don't eat and exercise, eat and throw up, don't eat and throw up, drink and throw up running around my head almost constantly. To shut them up, I drop the valis. Helps a bit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm the same - my brain never ever shuts up. If it's not chattering to me, I've got lines of songs repeating over and over.
    I can't read books anymore because my mind doesn't seem to let me concentrate on the words in the book and I end up thinking of other things ( or songs )
    I started a journal and blogging to try and empty my mind - helps a little. I'm another weed fan for quietening my head but I just have it at bedtime so I can get to sleep.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can be absolutely physically shattered but my brain never gives in >.>
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does sound as if you are suffering constant low-level anxiety. It's not terribly helpful for someone to reply with the single word 'diazepam'.

Some people find they can reduce their feverish thought process by being more physically active in some way: tire yourself out (healthily) doing something you enjoy, and your mind might take a nice rest. And you can sometimes calm things down a bit simply by being firm about not agreeing to everything anyone asks you to do, at work or even socially. There is nothing that makes your brain race faster than the constant feeling that you have too much to do and no time to do it in.

That happens a lot. I go out for half hour walks 4 or 5 times a week and at the weekend I go out with my parents on exta walks with our dog. I've been doing a big spring clean and buying lots of storage items and things for my room and so on but I've kind of finished that now.

People don't ask me to do that much - it gets busy at work sometimes but I don't really do anything much socially. I often feel guilt on Sunday evenings, that the weekend is nearly over and I somehow haven't done what I needed, or ought, to do, although I'm rarely ever precisely sure what that is(!). Pfft. I'm off on holiday next Friday at least though - the last few weeks have been pretty tiring. I think I've had a bit of a viral bug/infection which certainly hasn't helped. I've been more tired than usual.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Despite the number of question marks in your post there isn't really a question that leaps out at people to latch on to and reply to you about.

Often you seem to ask a question then instantly flit off to another question as if the answer isn't really that important to you. Sometimes you ask a question and then answer it yourself, stating that you know this is probably the case. Other times you ask a question and then say you have already googled it and read the general agreement on the issue.

In other words your post just reads like a stream of consciousness, a passing thought which isn't directed at anyone in particular or is seeking a responce. It reads like someone just writing their internal monologue down and moving on.

Particularly as you then end with "I just find this interesting"...which can give the feeling of "just saying, don't let it bother you, just me being silly, just a thought, what's for tea?".

I suppose so. I tend to type what im thinking at the time. I'm maybe too quick to post? that makes me wonder if most other people think through what they want to ask about or otherwise post and then sit down and ensure they word it in a snappy, non-conversational way, if that makes sense?.
  • PoppySeedPoppySeed Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're not alone, I have an active inner dialogue going on in my head all the time, it causes me to forget to do things like post the letter I've had in my hand all morning, or walk straight past the shop I needed to go into because my mind is always elsewhere. It's never really bothered me though as I'm so used to it.