Emmerdale: Finn's nonchalant attitude to having sex with someone whose HIV Positive

Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone think Emmerdale is doing a disservice by having Finn act like having sex with someone whose HIV positive is no big deal? Of course there is no problem with him dating Darren but I think they should show him being a more cautious, looking into taking Prep or something else along those lines.

Comments

• Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Anyone think Emmerdale is doing a disservice by having Finn act like having sex with someone whose HIV positive is no big deal? Of course there is no problem with him dating Darren but I think they should show him being a more cautious, looking into taking Prep or something else along those lines.

What's Prep? :confused:
  • Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    What's Prep? :confused:

its a drug that is supposed to help prevent the transmission of HIV
  • Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a similar storyline in the fab Looking where they did indeed discuss sex and Prep.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    its a drug that is supposed to help prevent the transmission of HIV

Thanks. I suppose Emmerdale should show something about such a drug especially as there are Val and Eric plus Darren and Finn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just had a similar storyline in the fab Looking where they did indeed discuss sex and Prep.

Yup, I saw that and you would think they could have Finn make a reference to it or something.
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale put back the understanding of HIV by years with the vile interpretation of the disease by Val, re-igniting all the false myths and misunderstandings about it. How can they be allowed to compound this wickedness by doing it again with the Darren/Finn story?
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Prep is not a drug. It's a prevention option. Truvada is the drug.

Having sex does not mean anal, therefore Finn might already be taking the precautions he needs to be taking.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale put back the understanding of HIV by years with the vile interpretation of the disease by Val, re-igniting all the false myths and misunderstandings about it. How can they be allowed to compound this wickedness by doing it again with the Darren/Finn story?

Dont agree with this at all.

Most people still recognise HIV as a "Gay" disease. Giving it to someone like Val who is a middle aged woman and known to have "flings" and not be concerned about safe sex, opens it up to show that anyone can be affected. Doesnt matter age, sex, HIV doenst discrimate.

Not sure exactly what you mean with your comments about Darren/Finn? I am sure that in real life, if family members knew that a sibling was going out with someone with HIV they would be concerned (it a natural reaction).
  • ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Soaps are here to entertain us, not educate us. Anyone who can't grasp that concept is probably too stupid to even know what HIV is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Prep is not a drug. It's a prevention option. Truvada is the drug.

Having sex does not mean anal, therefore Finn might already be taking the precautions he needs to be taking.

Although the percentage is very low HIV can still be transmitted through oral sex.
  • LiamBerryTea ~LiamBerryTea ~ Posts: 2,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just horrible
    Really is having all this sex talk on Emmerdale
    Lol I seriously had to fast forward some of it.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    Dont agree with this at all.

Most people still recognise HIV as a "Gay" disease. Giving it to someone like Val who is a middle aged woman and known to have "flings" and not be concerned about safe sex, opens it up to show that anyone can be affected. Doesnt matter age, sex, HIV doenst discrimate.

Not sure exactly what you mean with your comments about Darren/Finn? I am sure that in real life, if family members knew that a sibling was going out with someone with HIV they would be concerned (it a natural reaction).
    Good post. I think choosing Val to become HIV was an inspired move by ED and I think it has been portrayed excellently. :)

I do think Finn would have shown a little more concern about Darren's status. Maybe Finn does understand the necessary precautions, the risks, the odds etc, but most viewers don't, so we do need at least some reference to it. (Maybe we'll get that if he tries to explain it to Val when he finds out about the text she sent to Darren).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't convinced by his attitude. A lot of his scenes have been with Victoria who always seems to be reassuring him because he's always worrying about something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just horrible
    Really is having all this sex talk on Emmerdale
    Lol I seriously had to fast forward some of it.
    Uufortunately the current producer is obsessed with sex and violence. >:(
    Reserved wrote: »
    Soaps are here to entertain us, not educate us. Anyone who can't grasp that concept is probably too stupid to even know what HIV is.
    Same answer applies.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »

Bit like the former producer then, he turned Carl into a wannbe rapist and then there was Cameron cheating on two women and of course his two murders.

To be honest all soaps have their fair share of sex and violence. To claim that Kate Oates is "obsessed" is a bit unfair to her.
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully Finn and his new man sill work it out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as people continue to post threads like this... I will continue to reply thusly..

Its a Soap. A tv show. A make believe world. It is not a documentary, it does not exist to educate or enlighten. It has exactly zero responsibility for anything other than entertaining the masses.

I know some of you have difficulty with humour; this post is very serious.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude007 wrote: »
    Wyezed wrote: »

Bit like the former producer then, he turned Carl into a wannabe rapist and then there was Cameron cheating on two women and of course his two murders.

To be honest all soaps have their fair share of sex and violence. To claim that Kate Oates is "obsessed" is a bit unfair to her.

Great post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    As long as people continue to post threads like this... I will continue to reply thusly..

Its a Soap. A tv show. A make believe world. It is not a documentary, it does not exist to educate or enlighten. It has exactly zero responsibility for anything other than entertaining the masses.

I know some of you have difficulty with humour; this post is very serious.

Yes its a soap and for entertainment but when they decide to tackle social issues like this they have a responsibility to the audience and the topic at hand to treat it in realistic manor and give the audience correct information on the subject. Having Finn act so laid back about Darren being HIV positive sends the message that its no big deal and with new HIV infections on the rise show a character react like that doesn't help the situation.
  • DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,738
    Forum Member
    I get that they're trying to show that you don't need to fear someone with HIV, but they've taken Finn's reaction a little too far over the edge. It's like Darren has told him he has a cold or something, judging by Finn's super relaxed stance on it.

To those that think soaps are just about entertainment, then you would be wrong. When a soap decides to tell a social issue story, they do so b/c they want to educate their viewers: Zak's mental health issues was all about educating men to seek help; Val's HIV is all about educating older people to practice safe sex.

They shouldn't pick and choose what aspects they want to educate their viewers on. It's fine for older people to learn about the importance of safe sex, but it's probably a good idea to also tell them how to have safe sex if you're HIV+ like Val. Both sides of the same coin.

There are still precautions to take even if you're not having penetrative sex. Maybe Finn and Darren should be addressing that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I also think EM are being a little bit harsh. It's not like Emma's saying "I'm worried about you holding hands with Darren and getting HIV", she's worried about them having sex. I'd imagine condoms are as preventative when it comes to HIV as they are with pregnancy, ie not 100% effective...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes its a soap and for entertainment but when they decide to tackle social issues like this they have a responsibility to the audience and the topic at hand to treat it in realistic manor and give the audience correct information on the subject. Having Finn act so laid back about Darren being HIV positive sends the message that its no big deal and with new HIV infections on the rise show a character react like that doesn't help the situation.
    What don't you understand? They are not "tackling" issues... They are telling a story. That's it. There is nothing more.
    Its just story telling. Full stop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    I get that they're trying to show that you don't need to fear someone with HIV, but they've taken Finn's reaction a little too far over the edge. It's like Darren has told him he has a cold or something, judging by Finn's super relaxed stance on it.

To those that think soaps are just about entertainment, then you would be wrong. When a soap decides to tell a social issue story, they do so b/c they want to educate their viewers: Zak's mental health issues was all about educating men to seek help; Val's HIV is all about educating older people to practice safe sex.

They shouldn't pick and choose what aspects they want to educate their viewers on. It's fine for older people to learn about the importance of safe sex, but it's probably a good idea to also tell them how to have safe sex if you're HIV+ like Val. Both sides of the same coin.

There are still precautions to take even if you're not having penetrative sex. Maybe Finn and Darren should be addressing that.

great post! I agree with everything you said
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    If you genuinely believe that soaps are trying to educate you then I feel sorry for you. That is possibly the most ridiculous reply I've ever read.
    I urge you to turn off your tv and get out in the fresh air.

I'll say it one more time.

It's a TV show, its ONLY purpose is to tell stories that it feels might entertain people. That is its only purpose. There is no agenda beyond getting ratings. No plan beyond selling advertising.
    I really don't know how you manage to get through each day if you genuinely believe that a soap is trying to educate you.
    Actually the fact that you can even write that is seriously worrying.

I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. Please look up Agnes Nixon, creator of US soaps All My Children and One Life to Live. She said soaps were meant to entertain first and educated second. Both shows were founded on that principal and dealt with many social issues in AMC's early days they dealt with the Vietnam war and the shows main character Erica Kane had tv's first legal abortion, and the tradtion continued for years dealing with drug addiction, Aids, and homosexuality.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong. Please look up Agnes Nixon, creator of US soaps All My Children and One Life to Live. She said soaps were meant to entertain first and educated second. Both shows were founded on that principal and dealt with many social issues in AMC's early days they dealt with the Vietnam war and the shows main character Erica Kane had tv's first legal abortion, and the tradtion continued for years dealing with drug addiction, Aids, and homosexuality.

Those are American soaps, these are British ones - a totally different animal. What goes go for American soaps doesn't necessarily go for British ones. I'm one of the group who thinks soaps are purely for entertainment. If I want to be "educated" I watch a documentary.