Ever seen anything being filmed? Or been in the background?

Has anybody ever seen any TV show or movie being filmed? Or maybe been 'caught' in the background?

I always wondered in TV shows, in the outside scenes like a town centre or something, are all the other people (the ones who aren't characters) just ordinary members of the public going about their business? Or are they all extras?

I have neither seen anything filmed, or been in the background of anything (As far as I know :p)

But has anybody else? :)

Comments

• ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen ITN and BBC around before.

I also did some stuff for Newsround, and for an ITV2 documentary.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on TV when I was a kid living in Mexico City.

I lived in San Diego for a while, they film a lot of things there (Top Gun being one of many). I saw them filming an episode of Simon & Simon once :phttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081930/ (I feel really old :D). I was in a crowd that was filmed, woohoo :p
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have appeared on screen alongside Geoffrey from Rainbow. :kitty::cool::D

On another occasion I was on holiday at a camp site in Cornwall when I was a kid and they were filming a holiday programme on the site. I watched them film one bit where a couple had to walk along a path. They obviously wanted it to look like it was raining but it was a dry evening and the couple walked along the path holding an umbrella while someone poured water from a watering can in front of the camera to make it look like it was raining. I saw it on TV a few months later and they'd done a good job of it coz you'd never know it wasn't really raining. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I've seen ITN and BBC around before.

I also did some stuff for Newsround, and for an ITV2 documentary.

Ohh I remember Newsround, were you like an interviewee?
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I was on TV when I was a kid living in Mexico City.

I lived in San Diego for a while, they film a lot of things there (Top Gun being one of many). I saw them filming an episode of Simon & Simon once :phttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081930/ (I feel really old :D). I was in a crowd that was filmed, woohoo :p

Wow!!! Do you watch your 'scene' now and again? :D I totally would if it was me :blush:
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    A couple of times. MTV were at Glastonbury when I was there amongst the crowds. I forget the presenter's name but I walked past her when she was doing her piece to camera. And another time some French TV station were covering a sports event I was in. I hate cameras so will avoid them where possible, never mind tv.
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I have appeared on screen alongside Geoffrey from Rainbow. :kitty::cool::D

On another occasion I was on holiday at a camp site in Cornwall when I was a kid and they were filming a holiday programme on the site. I watched them film one bit where a couple had to walk along a path. They obviously wanted it to look like it was raining but it was a dry evening and the couple walked along the path holding an umbrella while someone poured water from a watering can in front of the camera to make it look like it was raining. I saw it on TV a few months later and they'd done a good job of it coz you'd never know it wasn't really raining. :D

Are you........are you Zippy? :o

You mean to tell me that TV lies to us? I won't hear of it :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah it went on their website though, and weirdly got played out on radio:confused:.
  • muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wow!!! Do you watch your 'scene' now and again? :D I totally would if it was me :blush:
    Haha :D No, I never watched it, all I know is that I was in the crowd and they filmed the crowd. Don't even know if it made it onto the screen.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Living in London, it's quite easy to get into the free studio recordings of TV shows. Over the years I've been to see a variety of shows. The Paul O'Grady Show, QI, The Graham Norton Show, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Show Me The Funny, The Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2014...and various others. I'm actually going to the recording of Paul O'Grady this Wednesday.

Beyond that, I was caught in the background of 'Stephen Fry's Out There' in segments he filmed in Trafalgar Square. The irony was that I was with a bunch of gay friends, and we were apparently the only people unaware he was right there filming. I also got caught on camera at Gay Pride last year, I was on ITV News with my Mum when a reporter asked her some questions as we queued to pay respects to the Queen Mother when she died. I've also spotted myself on BBC News in the 1m+ procession up The Mall for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations (it helped that someone near me was carrying a very vibrant flag of Fiji I could look out for :p ) and I was also in some news footage when there was a plane crash at Biggin Hill Airshow back in...2002, I think?

Very recently I was in London and saw them filming scenes for the movie London Has Fallen (a sequel to Olympus Has Fallen) near Bank. Filming for that was cordoned off and we watched from afar... though it was the noise of controlled explosions and blank bullets being fired that drew our attention to that.

Finally I spotted some filming of Doctor Who: Series 6 when I last went to Cardiff, and they were trying to pass off an alley way as New York (Series 6). :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living in London, it's quite easy to get into the free studio recordings of TV shows. Over the years I've been to see a variety of shows. The Paul O'Grady Show, QI, The Graham Norton Show, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Show Me The Funny, The Big Fat Quiz of the Year 2014...and various others. I'm actually going to the recording of Paul O'Grady this Wednesday.

Beyond that, I was caught in the background of 'Stephen Fry's Out There' in segments he filmed in Trafalgar Square. The irony was that I was with a bunch of gay friends, and we were apparently the only people unaware he was right there filming. I also got caught on camera at Gay Pride last year, I was on ITV News with my Mum when a reporter asked her some questions as we queued to pay respects to the Queen Mother when she died. I've also spotted myself on BBC News in the 1m+ procession up The Mall for the Diamond Jubilee celebrations (it helped that someone near me was carrying a very vibrant flag of Fiji I could look out for :p ) and I was also in some news footage when there was a plane crash at Biggin Hill Airshow back in...2002, I think?

Very recently I was in London and saw them filming scenes for the movie London Has Fallen (a sequel to Olympus Has Fallen) near Bank. Filming for that was cordoned off and we watched from afar... though it was the noise of controlled explosions and blank bullets being fired that drew our attention to that.

Finally I spotted some filming of Doctor Who: Series 6 when I last went to Cardiff, and they were trying to pass off an alley way as New York (Series 6). :D

I've done Nevermind the Buzzcocks, I've also done B.G.T, X-Factor, and Got to Dance..

I do love a bit of trashy television.

I also did Phil and Alice's comedy night for Radio 1.

Incidentally, Phil follows me on twitter, mostly because I'm awesome:D.
    Forum Member

You're famous :D

Paul O'grady!!! I love that guy (how could you not?) and Stephen Fry is an amazing person!

How long do they actually take to film an episode of something like QI or Never mind the Buzzcocks?
    Forum Member
    A couple of times. MTV were at Glastonbury when I was there amongst the crowds. I forget the presenter's name but I walked past her when she was doing her piece to camera. And another time some French TV station were covering a sports event I was in. I hate cameras so will avoid them where possible, never mind tv.

I'm the same in general, I think it would be cool to be caught in the background of something though :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're famous :D

Paul O'grady!!! I love that guy (how could you not?) and Stephen Fry is an amazing person!

How long do they actually take to film an episode of something like QI or Never mind the Buzzcocks?

Longer than you think...

They cut a lot of it.

IIRC, we were there for about 4 hours.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    some on here went and saw WORLD WAR Z being filmed a few years ago, went myself three days in the centre of glasgow, and was lucky enough to see them doing the trash truck stunt!
    Forum Member
    Longer than you think...

They cut a lot of it.

IIRC, we were there for about 4 hours.

4 hours??? :o Yikes!!!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I saw The Bill being filmed in early 2003. I've also been to CNBC's European news studios but I wasn't on the TV or in the background in the newsroom or anything.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No film/tv show, just the news. The Conservative Party conference was happening. I think I may have walked past William Hague.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Not me, I avoid being recognised.

I saw something being filmed though but can't remember what it was.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on the news once, on my lunch break in a hospital, didn't know til after it aired, have seen Eastenders , The Bill and Tuckers Luck filmed near me
  • dave clarkedave clarke Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.memorabletv.com/tv/gangsters-bbc-1-1975-78-with-maurice-colbourne-and-saeed-jaffrey/

They filmed some scenes of this at the BSA factory in Armoury Road Birmingham where I worked
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do sports events count? Or news stories about big protest marches in London? Been in loads of those.

As for drama, the movie "Me Without You" was filmed in and around the house opposite where I lived. My bedroom window features in a reverse shot. I was at work during most of the filming so missed seeing Michelle Williams and Anna Friel.
  • pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was once featured on the news as the daft tw*t in a "don't focus on the issues, look at the daft tw*t in the background who turns up for the protest" piece. :(

Took a lot of ribbing in Tescos the next day :(
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    When I was a student back in the early 80's I saw An Englishman Abroad with Alan Bates being filmed in Dundee. Dundee was doubling for Moscow and there was fake snow and giant posters of Lenin and Karl Marx all over the place.
    Didn't see much filming activity, just a lot of people standing around.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in an ad for a Supermarket when I was a kid, along with my Mum. We just had to show up and be in the background shopping while they filmed the main part of the ad. I was about three and was sitting in a shopping trolley. I've forgotton what it was for and will have to ask Mum.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 1985 they made a god awful Al Pacino film in King's Lynn called Revolution. I watched them filming some bits of this. Quite a lot of local people got dressed up as extras at the time.

The town was buzzing with excitement about it however the film was a Turkey, King's Lynn was made up as New York in 1775.