Options

Steven Moffat Has Quit A Two-Picture Deal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
I like him even more now:)

"The new man in charge of Doctor Who turned down a £500,000 movie deal with Steven Spielberg so he could take the job.

Bafta-winning scriptwriter Steven Moffat has quit a two-picture deal with the director and Lord Of The Rings film-maker Peter Jackson to fulfil a 'childhood dream' of working on the BBC sci-fi drama.

Moffat, who created hit BBC comedy series Coupling, had signed a £1million contract to write the first two scripts for Tintin, a £150million Spielberg trilogy based on the comic-strip hero.

But instead the Scottish writer will take over as the creative force of Doctor Who after Welsh writer Russell T. Davies, who revived the series in 2005, decided to step down.

While some Hollywood movie executives are baffled by Moffat's decision, he was given a sympathetic hearing by Spielberg, who is a fan of the long-running drama currently starring David Tennant."

Rest of story found here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1036567/500-000-Mr-Spielberg-Sorry-Ive-got-date-Beeb-says-new-Dr-Who-writer.html

Comments

• Options
    alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    all I read at first was "Steven Moffat Has Quit....."

I was like "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

But then I read further and I was like "PHEW!!!"
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    A man who knows where his heart is, good on you SM. A few BIG sacrifices made there to take the Who job. Hat's off to you.

But please try to get Spielberg to direct an episode.:)

I can dream can't I .:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    It does illustrate something quite uncommon in our modern times, namely conviction and commitment. I think this proves without a doubt SM's suitability for the job.

Is it true that Spielberg is a fan? I've heard this before years ago when his company Amblin first got the rights for DW (which ended in the TV movie).

I think it would be a brilliant idea to have guest directors, like Spielberg, or Terry Gilliam or even Tim Burton - i could just imagine a Tim Burton DW episode:p
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    alienpanda wrote: »
    all I read at first was "Steven Moffat Has Quit....."

I was like "NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!"

But then I read further and I was like "PHEW!!!"

I know! From the first page where all I saw was "Steven Moffat Has Quit A....." I thought it was gonna say "Steven Moffat Has Quit Already!!!....." :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 331
    Forum Member
    Kovak wrote: »
    I think it would be a brilliant idea to have guest directors, like Spielberg, or Terry Gilliam or even Tim Burton - i could just imagine a Tim Burton DW episode:p

Dear God NO!!!

Tim Burton is AWFUL.

He has a fantastic visual flair... but he has absolutely NO sense of plot whatsoever.

Sweeney Todd is only the second film I've ever walked out of, it was such a turgid mess.
  • Options
    swadeyswadey Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Film Company "Hi Tim, tell me about your latest film..."

TB "Oh, it's Doctor Who..."

Film Company "Wonderful, tell me about it..."

TB "Well, Johnny Depp is Doctor Who, and, erm, I'm going to paint all the props black... and, erm, that's it".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow steven speilberg is a fan of doctor who wow....and well thank you steven moffat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so very pleased that Moffat is doing Dr Who, but that doesn't sound like a very smart career move.

Oh well.. good on him - he obviously has a passion for the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Personally I think it will give him gravitas in Hollywood. Not many people have the guts to turn down a writing job for Steven Spielberg. I think it will open doors for him when he does eventually leave DW
  • Options
    liquidJPliquidJP Posts: 1,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swadey wrote: »
    Film Company "Hi Tim, tell me about your latest film..."

TB "Oh, it's Doctor Who..."

Film Company "Wonderful, tell me about it..."

TB "Well, Johnny Depp is Doctor Who, and, erm, I'm going to paint all the props black... and, erm, that's it".

With helena bolon carter as his faithful conpanion K9 ;)

Anyhow i recon Moffat will easily make a million working for the Beeb for 3-4 years.
  • Options
    JessicaLJessicaL Posts: 3,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting -good for SM :).He'll gain a lot from staying with Who also -every brilliant episode advertises his skills and up's his reputation.:)

How fab if Steven Spielberg is a fan :D.
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good stuff!
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does illustrate something quite uncommon in our modern times, namely conviction and commitment. I think this proves without a doubt SM's suitability for the job.

Well you could argue it shows the opposite with SM walking out on his commitment to Spielberg ;)

In reality Moffat had obviously planned to get both scripts done before starting work on DW but the Writers strike made that impossible.
  • Options
    Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it true that Spielberg is a fan? I've heard this before years ago when his company Amblin first got the rights for DW (which ended in the TV movie).

This has been said many times before and thereis no smoke without fire so to speak.

I dod remember that when it was rumoured he had acquirred the rights, we were all worried that the companions would be a little boy and girl, along with a loveable pet, and all the aliens would be sympathtic characters. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    at the end of the day it was decision to go with Who rather than Spielberg, which I am sure he respects..he has most probably turned down a few projects in his time as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    I read this in the paper yesterday. The quote from the 'Hollywood Insider' made me laugh.
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear God NO!!!

Tim Burton is AWFUL.

He has a fantastic visual flair... but he has absolutely NO sense of plot whatsoever.
    Sweeney Todd is only the second film I've ever walked out of, it was such a turgid mess.

You've just described Russel T Davis.
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member

Heh, I started to watch that on the inflight entertainment system whilst on travel earlier this year. I got 1 minute past the opening titles before I couldn't bear anymore.

Glad I didn't go to see it at the cinema, as I could imagine myself walking out.

Only done that once before, and that was for 'Godzilla'.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would have thought that a tabloid would stoop to making things up in order to make a not very interesting story seem more exciting?

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tells ya.
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TimCypher wrote: »
    Heh, I started to watch that on the inflight entertainment system whilst on travel earlier this year. I got 1 minute past the opening titles before I couldn't bear anymore.

Glad I didn't go to see it at the cinema, as I could imagine myself walking out.

Only done that once before, and that was for 'Godzilla'.

Regards,

Cypher

You should have walked out anyway. That would have shown them. :D
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So it transpires that Jackson is a "fan" while Spielberg "knows and admires" the show.

That should help us narrow down their DS pseudonyms, don't you think?
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Slug wrote: »
    So it transpires that Jackson is a "fan" while Spielberg "knows and admires" the show.

Peter Jackson owns one of Sylvester McCoy's original costumes and has been known to dress up in it while playing Doctor Who with his kids.

Fact.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    well it was in the Daily Mail !! ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    addax wrote: »
    well it was in the Daily Mail !! ;)

Wasn't it also mentioned in the Sun?????:eek::D